Stardew Valley - Has Sold 3.5 Million on PC

You people are way too easy to troll.. I guess that should be expected from manchildren :p

You're not the weirdo.
You're the perfect audience for phonegames designs. They know you'll want to get rid of "panic!" caused by timers thus let there be:
microtransactions

I'm unsure what exactly you have a problem with in Stardew Valley. For all I remember there is no "doomsday" design inside - the only one was three years success on the initial release but the developer removed it later.

SV has a design found in numerous mobile products: forced bottlenecks to dilute content.
There is nothing like tension or panic in SV, it is about squeezing as much as possible from a work day, implement routines after routines.

Timers have nothing to do with tension. SV is packed with gambling mechanics, and even more, gambling mechanics that can be accessed once every months or so.

Dilution of content. Added to that, one save file so when a gambling mechanics fails, players must play through another year.

If SV had anything like tension, it would have sold much less.
Players'involvement is minimal, it is a brainless mass consumption scheme. Hence its success.

SV has a design found in numerous mobile products: forced bottlenecks to dilute content.
There is nothing like tension or panic in SV, it is about squeezing as much as possible from a work day, implement routines after routines.

Timers have nothing to do with tension. SV is packed with gambling mechanics, and even more, gambling mechanics that can be accessed once every months or so.

Dilution of content. Added to that, one save file so when a gambling mechanics fails, players must play through another year.

If SV had anything like tension, it would have sold much less.
Players'involvement is minimal, it is a brainless mass consumption scheme. Hence its success.

Oh piss off.

My god how do you come up with this crap?

Mindless?

I do a lot of planning when I play the game. It is no different then another rpg except it isn't combat focused.

I'm willing to be you never played it like so many other games you are an expert on.

You people are way too easy to troll.. I guess that should be expected from manchildren :p

source.gif

Oh piss off.

My god how do you come up with this crap?

Mindless?

I do a lot of planning when I play the game. It is no different then another rpg except it isn't combat focused.

I'm willing to be you never played it like so many other games you are an expert on.

He did play it remember.
He was outraged that Grandpa only gave him 2 stars.
How could you forget this?

Actually, it makes sense to me in terms of SV. It really did seem like a typical indie sandbox to me - where they make the player believe they're progressing by extending the grind to a ridiculous amount, instead of just providing them with the tools and options required to have fun with the content.

It's a very popular way of not having to create actual content.

He did play it remember.
He was outraged that Grandpa only gave him 2 stars.
How could you forget this?

No. But players were indeed enough outraged for the dev to change this feature.

Gamers are interested in playing games, which usually go through a learning stage. You cant play a game until you have learned how to play it.

Playing multiple times a game is a common gamer expectation.
Getting a poor score only signals the beginning of a new run. That is in the case of games.

The reworking of the feature changed nothing over all the other points in SV, so there was nothing to play.

The same dilution of content, the same one button pressed activity, the same brainless mass consumption routines to endure again and again.

I'm the weirdo. Again.

I have a weird issue with any game that imposes a time limit. As soon as there's a countdown, I'm anxious. SDV even does this to me. "Can I get back home before I get too tired???????"

I guess it's just not my thing. I did like the play style, but once I got past the basic stuff, it was just a load of anxiety for me.

I can fully understand this. I don't like time limits much at all.

I never noticed a "real" time limit in Stardew Valley - but now, as youi say it, there seems to be one.

Time limits are there as a constraint for more relaxyed players, I think. (Which is one of several points why I don't like Action games . They don't let someone relax - they don't akllow the player to perform "relaxed playing").

Do girlchildren exist ?

You're not the weirdo.
You're the perfect audience for phonegames designs. They know you'll want to get rid of "panic!" caused by timers thus let there be:
microtransactions

Blade Of Destiny didn't have microtransactions. Despite it having a time limit. :p

Last edited:
Regarding the "gambling" part : I assume that nowadays pen & paper role playing games must be classified as "gambling" because they involve throwing dice ...

I never noticed a "real" time limit in Stardew Valley - but now, as youi say it, there seems to be one.

The content is diluted to the utmost in this product.
Bottlenecks are core elements in the design.

If things are not accomplished within the proper timeframe, players must play until the windows come up again. It might be something like one in game year.

Back
Top Bottom