Shroud of the Avatar

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor
Hey guys,

Just wanted to get a general feeling of what people are thinking about this game.

What do you expect from it?

Do expect a strong single player game?

Do you think it will live up to older ultima's?

I get an update every week on this one, sometimes two updates, but I'm waiting for the general release before taking the plunge. I'm certainly hoping for a strong single player game, as that's what the Avatar series was known for. Anything short of that would be a huge disappointment.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to get a general feeling of what people are thinking about this game.

What do you expect from it?

Do expect a strong single player game?

I don't think I have even thought about this game for six months or more.

I believe it is going to be a huge interactive facebook(social) game with a million micro transactions. So I lost interest in, if I read once it released there is even a single player game in it I might buy it.

I get the updates and have logged in for events etc.

Not expecting a strong single player game anymore.
So far no single player looking content released or even focussed on in devtalk.
The multiplayer is their cash cow. Every week I get updates for *limited time offer* items to purchase from them.

In game some of the graphics are terrible, some are ok.

Not impressed at all with the direction they have gone. Optimistic it might turn into something, but exceptionally disappointed at this time.

In terms of updates it is certainly one of the best run and best managed KS projects. Big kudos to the busy bees at Lord British's castle :) .
I'm mostly in it for the single player as well and hope the results will be good. Last time I tried it (the online game) was probably almost about a year ago and it was still pretty basic back then. It sort of reminded me of the early days of Dark Age of Camelot.
But at the rate they keep pushing out these updates and new builds it is probably making good progress.
I'm looking forward to trying the "finished" game one day whenever that may be.

They heavily promoted it as a single player game with multiplayer aspects in the beginning to pull in Ultima's fanbase, but virtually abandoned that approach once it was funded to instead focus on making it an Ultima Online clone. Would probably not have funded it if I would have known, and I would be very surprised if the single player mode turns out to be anything above mediocre.

Are they still trying to flog people virtual real estate for thousands of dollars?

Didnt they made most of the game as a mmo? that was my impression from last year, so i stopped following this

I don't think that was the case at all. Garriot &Co. seemed pretty upfront that their focus was the MP.

People forget he virtually invented the genre, his last great, groundbreaking innovation.

I've been checking it out as each significant update has become available, and I've yet to see anything beyond a very rough alpha.

The combat system is awful, the visuals are bad, there's no story to speak of, the world is bland and ugly, the dungeons are empty, and so on.

It still has lots of potential, though, and it's much more in line with "my kind" of MMO than most modern examples.

But it's going to take a LOT of work before it's ready.

Thanks guys, I was trying to gauge the honest feedback of what people thought of this game.

Everything Dart said is certainly true in my opinion- I can add that while you can play the game in an online singleplayer mode it still feels like you are running around playing an MMO online with no one else around. They have put enormous amount of detail and lore in but I don't have time to go look for things like taming collars.

This game is still alive? I didn't read about it in such a long time I thought it died.

Anyway, I don't think Richard is able to do magic any-more, he completely lost it to virtual pets and houses.

No.

That said I spent around $15 on the Kickstarter and I expect to get my money's worth, if only by toying around with different builds. I hope that there will be henchmen with a half decent AI.

I sold most of my account off now...I cannot stand dealing with their community manager firelotus.

That would not be the first time Richard introduces animal-like playable characters into his games.
Meet the Fuzzy:
latest

If anyone's interested: I've asked for the the release schedule of Episode 1 in their forums which led to a dev removing the announcement
We hope to reach Beta by mid 2015 and launch shortly after
on their Steam store page leaving
We estimate reaching a Beta version with all features and content sometime in the first half of 2016

Back
Top Bottom