So.. 2013, the year of RPG drought?

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
I've been having something of a drought recently, and I started thinking: When will it end?

It looks to me like it won't actually end until 2014? What am I missing here? There's been a few exciting Kickstarter RPGs, but most of them will be 2014 releases (realistically, even if some are targeting 2013). Beyond that, the list looks like this:

RPGs in 2013:
- South Park: The Stick of Truth
- Divinity: Original Sin (Edit: Added)

Wow, that's bad. I know DA3 is targeting Q4 2013, but we all know it's getting pushed to March 2014. BioWare loves March.

Is that really it? I must be missing something! I'll go crazy with replays next year otherwise.

Last edited:
I'd say 2012 is RPG draught year. Singleplayer RPG.

Your list is not full.
Nuclear Union and Wasteland 2 are both set for 2013.

A bunch of my kickstarter games should come out in 2013. South Park is doubtful to come out in 2013 (or ever), the company is almost bankrupt.

I've never experienced an RPG drought in my life, mostly because there's this little thing called the "past" which yields an absolute plethora of untapped treasures which I'm still yet to play.

List of RPGs coming out in 2013(I surely forget some)
Divinity original sin Q1 2013
Wasteland 2 October 2013
Grim dawn summer 2013
Underrail Q3 2013
Eschalon book 3 summer 2013
Shadowrun rerurns Q1 2013
Dead state autumn 2013
Age of decadence
Nuclear union
Space rangers HD Q4 2013

Divinity: Original Sin is supposed to release in 2013 (Q3 for sure going by the forum). Dragon Commander is on track for May/June 2013 from the latest news, but it's more of a strategy game than a RPG. Both from Larian.

Elder Scrolls Online and Neverwinter are also supposed to come out in 2013. Both are "MMORPG".

There is also BG2:EE and Chaos Chronicles.

Plus all the Kickstarters that missed their end of year 2012 date and those supposed to release in 2013. I have 2 kickstarters so far that pushed back to 2013.

I'd say 2012 is RPG draught year. Singleplayer RPG.

Your list is not full.
Nuclear Union and Wasteland 2 are both set for 2013.

RPGs of 2012:
- Mass Effect 3
- Risen 2
- Diablo 3 (probably shouldn't count)
- Of Orcs And Men
- Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Skyrim was released very late in 2011 if I recall correctly, so most were probably playing that in early 2012.

Like I said tho, I am aware that several projects are targeting Q4 2013 (DA3, Wasteland 2 etc), but I would be very surprised if they don't get pushed to Q1 2014. It's rare that an RPG does not get pushed back at least once.

Hmm, I was unaware of Original Sin being released in Q1. I suppose that could turn out interesting. Certainly worth putting on the list!

Edit: One thing that troubles me is the complete lack of upcoming open world RPGs (games like Gothic/Risen, Elder Scrolls and Two Worlds). As far as I know, there's not even an announced one yet, though I assume (hope) both Bethesda and PB are working on one each in secret.

Last edited:
Not to mention Torchlight 2, Game of Thrones, Legend of Grimrock, Avernum..

Or the PC JRPG's, crossovers and weird things like the PC Y's remakes, Krater, Dark Souls or Inquisitor.. or the MMO's like Guild Wars 2, The Secret World, and Tera.

As for open world games, Two Worlds III is in development. While it's not the top tier, it is an open world RPG series. It was slated for this year but there's been no word for a while so I figure it's slipped to next year sometime.

The expansion (larger DLC) will be released for Skyrim in January.

RPGs of 2012:
- Mass Effect 3
- Risen 2
- Diablo 3 (probably shouldn't count)
- Of Orcs And Men
- Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Skyrim was released very late in 2011 if I recall correctly, so most were probably playing that in early 2012.
And from those I enjoyed Risen 2 very much even replayed it, ME3 was meh and will probably never replay it, other three I didn't even bother with. I mean… Diablo 3? Hell, what about Torchlight 2? That reminds me, I should probably buy that one in case I get a brain stroke, forget how to read and start enjoying games you don't need any IQ for…
And early 2012, true, I also bugged with Skyrim bugs for a while.

IMO 2012 was a huge singleplayer RPGs draught comparing with plans for 2013. Luckily there were many other or mix genre titles that were fun to play (for example new KB).

P.S. I will buy Amalur bundle today on Amazon since it's cheaper than iPhone junk games. And will hope norespawn mod emerges someday.

Last edited:
South Park is doubtful to come out in 2013 (or ever), the company is almost bankrupt.

Just to clarify - they're referring to the publisher (THQ) and not the developer (Obsidian).

As for open world games, Two Worlds III is in development. While it's not the top tier, it is an open world RPG series. It was slated for this year but there's been no word for a while so I figure it's slipped to next year sometime.

Oh, that's good news. I can't remember the Watch covering this at all, is there any info out? I would very much like to read up on it - Two Worlds 2 was a solid, fun experience.

That could salvage 2013, because I still think it looks rather dry to say the least, especially compared to 2012 (already mentioned), 2011 (Skyrim, The Witcher 2, Two Worlds 2, etc) and 2010 (ME2, FO: New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, DA: Awakening, etc).

Two Worlds 3 and Southpark is hardly enough to rival the likes of The Witcher 2, Skyrim and New Vegas, but it doesn't have to turn out as bad as I feared.

. South Park is doubtful to come out in 2013 (or ever), the company is almost bankrupt.

I read on RPS not too long ago that THQ got financial boost from source who's name they didn't reveal.So I guess that means they won't go bankrupt but someone will probably pull strings.

I read on RPS not too long ago that THQ got financial boost from source who's name they didn't reveal.So I guess that means they won't go bankrupt but someone will probably pull strings.

Yeah it seems the investor will be getting a significant enough chunk of things that the company was obligated to warn shareholders that it would significantly dilute existing investments.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...ing-room-from-lender-as-finance-chief-resigns

I imagine some games will be announced early 2013 and have a middle to late 2013 release. I expect to see an RPG or 2 be announced for the Wii U. I hope so anyway, because I do want to buy a Wii U but I need there to be more RPGs for it.

If no games are announced, I still have a backlog of RPGs that I can replay or play for the first time, so I'm not too worried. Seriously, there are so many RPGs released in the past few years, I'm sure there's something you haven't played or beaten. 2013 would be a good time to try and get to those games and beat them or just spend some time with another play-through.

I'm not too worried about the CPU. As I said in the other thread, games on the Wii U will have to take advantage of the other powerful aspects of the console. And quite a few developers have already raved about how powerful of a console the Wii U is, so I'm not worried.

I am interested to see some RPGs get announced for the system though. Out of the bunch of games that launched with the system as well as the upcoming games, there is a shortage of RPG titles. I know Monolith Soft is making an RPG for the Wii U, and Mistwalker will probably make something, and another company supposedly is hiring people for a "big budget, medieval fantasy RPG" on the Wii U. But all those could be years away. I just hope something gets announced for 2013 and gives me a real reason to buy the system.

Back
Top Bottom