Transfering files from laptop to PC

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch
Easiest way?
Have an old HP something something ( base model, think it runs on AMD E-300) but ended up wrecking the whole keyboard so now can't get it online.
Any cabel to use for this sort of thing? No techno mumbo-jumbo, just straightforward plug it in and copy paste, from one system to another.

well can you plug a keybaord into usb port ? If you can't run the pc or get it on line you will have to pull the disk out and plug it into the other system.

Eh? Isn't there some kind of USB cabel...seems that would be the easiest way. PC is fine, notebook is only missing it's keyboard( well, I can plug one, if needed) I only need to transfer a few files, in between, now and then.

Yes you can use a USB cable, USB stick or just transfer over your network, assuming you have one. Wireless would be easiest. I would guess you'd need a USB keyboard though.

Eh? Isn't there some kind of USB cabel…seems that would be the easiest way. PC is fine, notebook is only missing it's keyboard( well, I can plug one, if needed) I only need to transfer a few files, in between, now and then.

Just go the easy route. Plug in a USB keyboard in one port and a USB drive (stick or hard disk) in another one. Then copy the files you need and wipe the HDD afterwards. Then take it out, hit it with a hammer and throw it away.

What you can also do is take out the whole notebook drive and use some adaptor to integrate it into your PC. That's technically not really difficult if you want to retire the notebook anyway, because everything is standardized. You could also put the notebook HDD into an external USB case - which would make it a normal USB HDD.

The second batch of solutions take more time for technical stuff, but you'll have ALL files. So you can still decide not to sort anything and just ignore all the junk until you really need something.
The first solution requires no technical know-how and only 1 minute of preparation. Then you'll need an hour or two to make sure you got all the files you want, which can be really tricky.

You can do it via USB, via external HDD and via network. There is no magical transfer cable.

Back
Top Bottom