Couchpotato's Random RPG News - Page 84 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Default Couchpotato's Random RPG News

July 27th, 2021, 21:44
Black Geyser Lands on GOG - GOG
Late last month we were excited to finally launch our Steam Page. The page took a while to put together and we're incrediblypleased with our community's feedback on it, as well as the latest trailer.

We have some additional news to share with you: Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness is going to be available on GOG, and the page is live right now!

We're thrilled to have Black Geyser heading to GOG, and we hope this helps the game find a whole new audience outside Steam, to increase our ever-growing community.
Empire of Ember - Dev Blog #7: Magic
Welcome back to another episode of the weekly dev blog, where we share more news on the development ofEmpire of Ember with you. This time we would like to talk about the magic system in the game.

Magic is an essential part of Empire of Ember.

The game takes place in a fantasy universe where magical shards rained down from the sky, granting their use to certain individuals called Lightbringers. Being one such Lightbringer yourself, magic is an innate ability in you. Use it to rule your kingdom and all those who defy your authority.

A Lightbringer is not exactly a wizard, as wizards are typically portrayed as fragile but powerful individuals that require a lot of preparation. Most spells in Empire of Ember better fit the role of a battlemage, a character class that uses both magic and weapons to fight. However, the system is flexible and the player does have the option to invest their skills and attributes in a way that allows such specific playstyles to exist if they wish it.
King Arthur: Knight's Tale - Summer Check-in
As we progress in the development cycle, we thought we'd give you a bit of a sneak peek into the work we're doing currently. The next content update is well in the works and should see a release pretty soon (we'll share a date when it is 100% locked), but in the meantime, let's check in with some of the members of the Neocore Team!
--
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." & "What is the secret to eternal happiness? To not argue with fools."

Couchpotato

Armchair Contrarian

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)

July 29th, 2021, 19:08
Wrath of the Righteous Developer Diary #4 - Upgraded the Graphics

loading…
Art department shares that Pathfinder: Kingmaker was a foundation to build upon, but the new game has a much darker story than the first. The team took a step away from the cozy, cartoony style of Kingmaker towards the more reserved, desaturated colors and less exaggerated geometry.
Mass Effect: Legendary Edition Infographic
You've all made tons of choices in MassEffect Legendary Edition. How do yours match up against other commanders?
Urban Strife - Summer 2021 Dev Update
Your base in Urban now has a fully functional survival industry with a complete development tree. It is based on building blueprints that carry a cost in workers and raw resources (the shelter already has a few old facilities, those come pre-built).
Wartales - Q&A #3: The Enemies of Wartales
Welcome to the third of our weekly Q&A's with the wartales development team!

This week, Quentin, our Lead Game Designer/Producer returns to talk about the variety of enemies you will encounter, rumours of ghostly wolf packs, champions to be overcome and exactly what to expect of the different foes that will taste the steel of your sword in Wartales.
--
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." & "What is the secret to eternal happiness? To not argue with fools."

Couchpotato

Armchair Contrarian

July 30th, 2021, 01:11
Medieval Dynasty Leaving Early Access on September 23rd

loading…
Kudos to our awesome community for the ongoing support during the Early Access phase, and many thanks for all the great ideas, general feedback and bug reports! You folks made Medieval Dynasty into the game we all dreamt of! We are excited to see players all over the world getting absorbed into its relaxing and at the same time thrilling atmosphere and game-play.

Medieval Dynasty is our baby. We worked hard (often day and night) to help it grow into the game it is today. There won't be any eventuality that would stop us from supporting the game as it evolves being version 1.0. Release day is not the end it's the beginning of a new exciting time for Medieval Dynasty.

We have a brand new Medieval Dynasty trailer waiting for your viewing. But this isn't your standard, run of the mill trailer. This trailer was created with the help of you - our community. You see, the villages that you will see in this video are all yours! So thank you to those that sent us their save files to make this trailer happen - thank you!
--

Couchpotato

Armchair Contrarian

July 31st, 2021, 16:43
Weird West: Ex-Dishonored Devs' Latest Is a Delightfully Odd Western

loading…
We were quite impressed by our first look at Weird West, a new isometric third-person shooter from WolfEye studios, a team comprised of ex-Dishonored and ex-Prey developers.
King's Bounty II Official Gameplay Trailer

loading…
Check out the first look at King's Bounty II official gameplay and get a glimpse into the fantasy world of Nostria! This is just a taste of everything that awaits in the full game, where your wits, your ability to explore, and commanding your personal army are all that will finally restore peace and order in the kingdom.
--

Couchpotato

Armchair Contrarian

July 31st, 2021, 16:45
The Ascent Review Impressions: Is It Worth It?

loading…
The Ascent Review Impressions: Is It Worth It? A Cyberpunk World Worth Exploring (Cyberpunk ARPG) In this The Ascent Review Impressions, we€™ll take a deep dive into the new Action-shooter RPG, which is set in a dystopian cyberpunk world. The game is Neon Giant's debut into the RPG scene and it' available on PC via Steam and Xbox Game Pass, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X/S. Is The Ascent worth checking out? Should you immediately buy it on the day of its release? We€™ll talk about all of these and much more so watch on to find out!
Top 5 NEW RPGs of AUGUST 2021

loading…
In this series, we highlight the Top 5 RPGs for the upcoming month. In this edition, we're going to take a look at each of the titles, talk a little about each, and then explain why we think they deserve to be on the list. So join me now and find a mixture of some hidden gems and old favorites given a shiny new coat of paint.
--

Couchpotato

Armchair Contrarian

July 31st, 2021, 16:54
Achilles: Legends Untold a New isometric Souls-Like RPG - Steam

loading…
Play as Achilles, the Greek warrior and hero of the Trojan War, who is recruited by Hades to confront the god of war Ares on his behalf. Face hordes of mythical beasts, mercenaries and demigods roaming the Earth. Travel the ancient world far and wide in the upcoming action RPG from Polish studio Dark Point Games, inspired by action RPGs like Dark Souls and Diablo. Are you ready for this adventure?
Corven - Path of Redemption - June 2021
I hope everyone from the US had a great 4th of July weekend! We were on vacation for a few days and it was nice getting away from everything for a little bit.

I worked almost exclusively on working out dialogues and doing rough implementations of quests with placeholders. This will go on for a while until I have to do something else to keep myself sane.

2 sentences, but a LOT of work, like everything. Don't be surprised when this is next months update as well.
--

Couchpotato

Armchair Contrarian

August 1st, 2021, 02:36
Not really anything big yet and doesn't warrant a news post or an individual thread, so please excuse me if I hijack your news thread for that couch.

Jeff Vogel / Spiderweb just tweeted that he is shooting for a new kickstarter video, so let's see what is going to happen there.
https://twitter.com/spiderwebsoft/st…84825866072064
--
Doing Let's Plays Reviews in English now. Latest Video: Cyberpunk 2077
Mostly playing Indie titles, including Strategy, Tactics and Roleplaying-Games.
And here is a list of all games I ever played.

Kordanor

Wastelander

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

August 1st, 2021, 02:41
It's Queens Wish 2 as he tweeted that he was going to launch a kickstarter campaign for that game in summer. That was announced back in April though he's late.
--
Last edited by Couchpotato; August 1st, 2021 at 15:26. Reason: He not we

Couchpotato

Armchair Contrarian

+1:

August 1st, 2021, 11:36
Another one who couldn't bring himself to throw away old stuff

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)

August 1st, 2021, 13:11
It just occurred to me that no-one does an RPG with a protagonist in a wheelchair. All people want challenges ! But apparingly not this kind of challenge …
(" … And that's how I tried to get my wheelchair up in the staircase … ")
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

August 1st, 2021, 17:00
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
It just occurred to me that no-one does an RPG with a protagonist in a wheelchair. All people want challenges ! But apparingly not this kind of challenge
(" And that's how I tried to get my wheelchair up in the staircase ")
https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenr…letop-rpg/amp/

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
+1:

August 1st, 2021, 17:37
The wheelchair protagonist is a good question, Alrik. As for me, I've been wondering the past thirty years why we don't see more court room type computer games. They seem rather popular for films and the telly, I think they could find a niche audience in the computer realm as well. We could even have a two-for, make the first game a computer version of Ironside.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

August 1st, 2021, 19:23
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
The wheelchair protagonist is a good question, Alrik. As for me, I've been wondering the past thirty years why we don't see more court room type computer games. They seem rather popular for films and the telly, I think they could find a niche audience in the computer realm as well. We could even have a two-for, make the first game a computer version of Ironside.
The concept is appealing

Without knowing much about the practicalities except what we see in movies (and I suppose it's not the same in the US than in Europe, Asia or elsewhere), it would surely be complex. Maybe it could have a system similar to the deduction system they designed in Sherlock Holmes games. It could really be something!

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)

August 1st, 2021, 20:34
A JPRG like Persona would be a great opportunity to have a wheelchair bound protagonist. It wouldn't fit in a lot of RPGs for obvious reasons (fantasy setting)

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

August 1st, 2021, 22:06
I think this idea has legs! I'd certainly play Wheelchair Detective. How about an Old Dark House mystery where you are staying in a remote location and someone is bumping off the guests one by one? It's a cliche, but not done in a sp game.
--
If you have no other choice but to kill, you have failed.
Ntwa kgolo ke ya molomo

Philistine

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

August 1st, 2021, 22:22
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
A JPRG like Persona would be a great opportunity to have a wheelchair bound protagonist. It wouldn't fit in a lot of RPGs for obvious reasons (fantasy setting)
That makes sense to me. There are many styles of game where it would be easy to include a wheelchair-user as a character. I also think it's OK to have a more realistic style of fantasy, where dungeons are not going to be wheelchair-friendly, and a more lore-compatible solution would be needed for a character with an impairment.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)

August 2nd, 2021, 12:34
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
That makes sense to me. There are many styles of game where it would be easy to include a wheelchair-user as a character. I also think it's OK to have a more realistic style of fantasy, where dungeons are not going to be wheelchair-friendly, and a more lore-compatible solution would be needed for a character with an impairment.
Well, the answer is magic:
Back in 2020, game designer and disability advocate Sara Thompson published a home-brew set of rules introducing the concept of the "Combat Wheelchair" to Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition €“ a reinforced, light-weight wheelchair with mild magical qualities designed to empower disabled heroes to go on wild adventures alongside their companions.
That's from the link @Pladio posted above.
It just needs to be enchanted with some form of a permanent Levitate spell that e.g. "makes it possible for the wheelchair to drive even on rough terrain or up and down regular stairs. As a rule of thumb it can move wherever a humanoid creature can move without requiring a skill check (like climb)".
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Currently playing: Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

August 2nd, 2021, 13:22
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
Well, the answer is magic:

That's from the link @Pladio posted above.
It just needs to be enchanted with some form of a permanent Levitate spell that e.g. "makes it possible for the wheelchair to drive even on rough terrain or up and down regular stairs. As a rule of thumb it can move wherever a humanoid creature can move without requiring a skill check (like climb)".
Yes, I read that, and that's why I said it makes sense in certain styles of games. Certainly in D&D, where we have soul-powered demon hotrods, there seems no good reason not to include levitating wheelchairs if people want them. What I'm saying is that I think there are other styles of game that are low-fantasy, or non-magic, where I think it would become implausible. So, my take is just let's include those options where there's no reason not to, but not start criticising something like Kingdom Come for not having a wheelchair option.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)

August 3rd, 2021, 00:50
The Ascent = Thank you from the Devs

Encased Release Date Revealed - Steam
Dear subscribers! Once again, the latest issue of the post-apocalyptic CRONUS Weekly is on your screens. Can anyone hear us?

Today we want to talk about what was added to our release build after the fifth content patch.

Encased will leave Early Access on September 7!

Yes, you heard us right. The full Encased release date is September 7th. Mark the day on your calendars and get ready to explore the fully opened Dome in just over a month. Dozens of new quests, new story chapters, multiple endings, weapons, artifacts, and that's just the tip of the content iceberg, that's awaiting you.

To brighten up your waiting time, we will continue to publish all the most interesting things from the Encased development.
Darkest Dungeon II The Runaway Character Reveal and More - Game Informer
The world is at its end. Wild accelerationist cults set fire to the cities. Pastoral baronies become insatiable hungering mouths upon mouths. Only your ragtag band of guilt-ridden adventurers can kindle a glimmer of hope to stop the ancient, encroaching evil. With a host of new terrors to overcome, a massive shift to a run-based roguelike structure, and a bold new character, the cosmic aberrations of Darkest Dungeon are poised to serve up fresh challenges and horrors with this scintillating sequel from Red Hook Studios.
Knights of the Chalice II New Features & Expands Tutorial - Kickstarter
Hello everyone! Version 1.16 of KotC 2 Augury of Chaos is now available for download here for both Windows and macOS. The main additions to the game are the new shortcut system for spells and special abilities, feat suggestions, improved delay combat action, improved weapon enchanting, improved image search in the Module Editor, and extra content in the tutorial adventure.

The tutorial now ends after solving the door puzzle with triangles. Normally, I should be able to finish work on the tutorial in August. After that, I will focus on completing the village content and fixing any remaining bugs so that the game can finally be ready for its official release!
--

Couchpotato

Armchair Contrarian

August 3rd, 2021, 00:53
Weird West Preview Roundup

Rock Paper Shotgun
If Weird West can carry some of that potency, as I've already seen it do, without becoming quite as brutally distasteful on its descent into horror, I think it could be something really special. Even - and indeed especially - if I choose to play it as a game about carrying dead wolves about the place.
PCGamesN
It's too early to tell just how far players will be able to push Weird West's world and mechanics, but from an early glimpse I'm excited to start messing around in one of its outposts.
ScreenRant
WolfEye's entire focus with Weird West is to create a sandbox where players can find new ways to express themselves as they explore the frontier. Similar to how previous games the studio's staff has worked on saw players coming up with new ways to do things the developers didn't even realize would, so too does Weird West give players that opportunity while telling an intriguing western mystery that aims to subvert the cliches of the genre.
AusGamers
“Surprisingly, [Weird West] might be our biggest game. Our hardest game to make for sure. There’s just so much content, there’s so [many things to] interact with and so there are so many ways the game can break… it’s been really, really scary.

“[But] to me there’s no trade off in the sense that I don’t feel like we’ve [gone] smaller, we’ve actually been going bigger. You know, it doesn’t take a month and a half to make a character, in this case it’s all done by the same person and it takes a week. That’s the main difference, really. And so that allows us to be more flexible, take more risks, try more things and iterate and change our minds and it’s actually more fun, frankly.”
--

Couchpotato

Armchair Contrarian

+1:

Tags
interviews, mods, previews, reviews, videos
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Couchpotato's Random RPG News