Three games you most want remade - Page 4 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Three games you most want remade

Default Three games you most want remade

August 7th, 2021, 18:22
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
Once he runs out of variations on his pseudo, he'll have to stick to an account for longer than that
There are other musketeers: Athos, Porthos and Aramis. Just a hint.

pibbur who realizes that perhaps, for several reasons, he shouldn't have written that.
--
Over the mountain watching the watcher

pibbuR

Feeling … lonely?

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
+1:

August 7th, 2021, 19:13
I think I should read that novel one day. Someone had praised it for being good in entangling several people, from a writing standpoint.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

August 7th, 2021, 21:32
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
I think I should read that novel one day. Someone had praised it for being good in entangling several people, from a writing standpoint.
I haven't read it, but I did read his The Count of Monte Cristo and enjoyed it. And unlike Count, The Three Musketeers is very short. You could read it in a day.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

August 8th, 2021, 05:46
Might and Magic 1-8. I'd like to see the first 5 in basically a modernized Xeen engine, with the latter games' mechanics (except keeping the extra classes like Barbarian and Ninja). 6-8 just modernized period.

Phantasie 1-3. These are some of the earliest gaming memories I have (C64 versions), so while truly ancient and mostly unknown they hold a fond place in the void of entropy that is my heart. Given how simple they are, I'm not sure how to update them, and keep the same feel.

Wizardry 6-8. Again, unified into a common engine and mechanics. Note the theme?

azraelck

Angel of Cookies!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to azraelck

August 8th, 2021, 11:38
Originally Posted by azraelck View Post
Might and Magic 1-8. I'd like to see the first 5 in basically a modernized Xeen engine, with the latter games' mechanics (except keeping the extra classes like Barbarian and Ninja). 6-8 just modernized period.

Phantasie 1-3. These are some of the earliest gaming memories I have (C64 versions), so while truly ancient and mostly unknown they hold a fond place in the void of entropy that is my heart. Given how simple they are, I'm not sure how to update them, and keep the same feel.

Wizardry 6-8. Again, unified into a common engine and mechanics. Note the theme?
Now that's someone who loves the classics. Someone after my own heart. I would like to see the first Wizardry in a modern update.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
+1:

August 8th, 2021, 17:42
Ohhh those Phantasie games, weren't they early SSI products?? Yeah, I'd like to see those redone for sure, had a lot of fun with all three back in the day.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

August 8th, 2021, 18:17
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Ohhh those Phantasie games, weren't they early SSI products?? Yeah, I'd like to see those redone for sure, had a lot of fun with all three back in the day.
Yeah, early SSI. I think the guy who designed them, Winston Wood, actually still owns the rights and has talked about making his own sequel to them (there was a Japanese-only Phantasie 4). He's been talking about it for a long while though, so whether it happens or not is debatable.

azraelck

Angel of Cookies!

+1:

August 8th, 2021, 20:20
Originally Posted by pibbuR View Post
There are other musketeers: Athos, Porthos and Aramis. Just a hint.
So KAraokegnan is out??
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

August 9th, 2021, 01:47
Yeah, early SSI. I think the guy who designed them, Winston Wood, actually still owns the rights and has talked about making his own sequel to them (there was a Japanese-only Phantasie 4). He's been talking about it for a long while though, so whether it happens or not is debatable.
Phantasie was like a proto JRPG for me so a remake done in that style with a western style graphics would be cool.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
+1:

August 9th, 2021, 03:28
I'm not sure there's ever been a game or series quite exactly like Phantasie, they almost made their own genre. All I know is I had a lot of fun playing them, and would do so again, heck, I just might need to petition great old games simply to bring them back from the dead, somehow.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

+1:

August 9th, 2021, 05:23
Lord Wood approves of the Phantasie remakes. Remember Phantasie 3 had injuries to different parts of the body. It may have been the first game to ever do that.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
+1:

August 9th, 2021, 18:51
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Phantasie was like a proto JRPG for me so a remake done in that style with a western style graphics would be cool.
I've always thought that as well. The combat screen is basically the same as Final Fantasy's earlier turn based iterations (1-3 I think, maybe 4); just turned on it's side and with more options. It'd have definitely fit well on the NES/Master System, and probably would have done better than the home computer versions (and IIRC the series didn't do badly for those).

Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
Lord Wood approves of the Phantasie remakes. Remember Phantasie 3 had injuries to different parts of the body. It may have been the first game to ever do that.
One of the very few. The only other one I can think of that does that is Dwarf Fortress. Granted, I got a late switch to night shift this week, so I may be hallucinating this entire thread right now.

Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I'm not sure there's ever been a game or series quite exactly like Phantasie, they almost made their own genre. All I know is I had a lot of fun playing them, and would do so again, heck, I just might need to petition great old games simply to bring them back from the dead, somehow.
They're actually in the wishlist on GOG. https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/phantasie_1_4

azraelck

Angel of Cookies!

August 9th, 2021, 21:22
Well, I hope that wish comes true, and soon!! -)

Carnifex

SasqWatch

August 9th, 2021, 23:51
I've always thought that as well. The combat screen is basically the same as Final Fantasy's earlier turn based iterations (1-3 I think, maybe 4); just turned on it's side and with more options. It'd have definitely fit well on the NES/Master System
I think some of the Ultima ports did fairly well on the NES/SMS. I can only assume Phantasie wasn't deemed popular enough to port.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)

August 10th, 2021, 01:21
Phantasie 2 was the first game I bought for my C64 so it holds a special place in my memory. After that I moved to Bard's Tale and Ultima which are still favourites of mine after all these years!!
--
If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)

August 10th, 2021, 03:05
We certainly park our horses in the same stable, Corwin! Cheers!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

August 10th, 2021, 20:11
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I think some of the Ultima ports did fairly well on the NES/SMS. I can only assume Phantasie wasn't deemed popular enough to port.
Probably. Though IIRC Phantasie sold a solid amount of copies for the 8 bit computers, so it may have just been a licensing issue. Very few SSI games got ported; Pool of Radiance, one of the Buck Rodgers games, and Eye of the Beholder are just about the only RPGs I can remember (the 'Silver Box' games Hillsfar, Heroes of the Lance, and Dragons of Flame were also sent to the NES, but I don't count them as RPGs).

It may have also been a Japanese thing; Ultima and Wizardry basically birthed the RPG scene over there, and thus were ported to everything and it's dog (and also were actively releasing new titles in their series well into the early 3D era). Phantasie had became relatively obscure by the early 1990's, and was never sent to Japan save for the MSX/PC Townes Phantasie 4. It's last official game was in 1985, two years before the golden age of JRPG releases started. Since there was no familiarity with the series by the Japanese, they didn't care about porting it. Though I think it would have done well there, especially 3.

azraelck

Angel of Cookies!

August 26th, 2021, 06:57
I have a pretty unusual list:

Area 51
Fallout 2
WWF No Mercy (N64 game)

philpulman

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

August 26th, 2021, 11:54
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I must be the only gamer on the planet who has never played Lemmings.
Soon a documentary so you can learn all about it
It was fun to play it back then, those silly little creatures. Not sure I'd still play that today though, it must have aged badly.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/…h-anniversary/

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
+1:

August 26th, 2021, 18:00
I did try Lemmings back in the day, I just didn't get it. Maybe it's just like Tetris, simply not my style. I knew people that enjoyed them both, yet for me, not so much.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Three games you most want remade