Marvel's Midnight Suns - Card-Based Gameplay Revealed - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Marvel's Midnight Suns - Card-Based Gameplay Revealed

Default Marvel's Midnight Suns - Card-Based Gameplay Revealed

September 8th, 2021, 14:10
Caroline Guevara, Jake Solomon and Garth Deangelis presented a gameplay showcase of Marvel's Midnight Suns, and in particular, the card-based combat.

The Hunter and Wolverine vs Sabretooth | Marvel's Midnight Suns Gameplay Showcase

It's time for the ferocious grudge match! The Hunter and Wolverine are teaming up against Sabretooth in our first ever gameplay stream of Marvel's Midnight Suns.

In one corner, we've got the Hunter and Wolverine fighting to save the world. Wolverine's razor-sharp claws, regenerating health, and ability to taunt enemies into focusing on him make him well-suited to fighting on the front line. Tilting the odds in Wolverine's favor on this occasion will be members of the Firaxis development team and the Hunter, Marvel's Midnight Suns' protagonist and the first customizable original hero in the Marvel Universe. The Hunter has a previous lifetime of training and experience to draw on and can fill a number of different combat roles by focusing on dealing damage, supporting allies, controlling enemies, mitigating incoming damage, or any combination thereof.

In the other corner is Wolverine's age-old nemesis Sabretooth, another mutant with a superpowered healing factor and the animalistic instincts and strength of a fearsome predator. Even in a two-on-one battle, Sabretooth should prove to be a fierce opponent.

Who will stand victorious?

loading…

More information.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)

September 8th, 2021, 14:24
Same as my video comment. Not a fan of card-based combat. So that's a negative.
--
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." & "What is the secret to eternal happiness? To not argue with fools."

Couchpotato

Armchair Contrarian

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)

September 8th, 2021, 16:04
I like card based games… Griftlands, Tainted Grail, Slay the Spire, etc.

I don't know why this is a card based game. I don't want randomization to what I can do in a tactical game.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

September 8th, 2021, 17:10
Looks terrible. And with the type of gameplay we've seen, probably shouldn't even be covered on this site.

Stingray

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
+1:

September 8th, 2021, 18:47
Yikes, this isn't really looking or sounding great. The card element isn't exactly something I care for, either.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

September 8th, 2021, 19:00
I've never played a card-based game on the PC, apart from a Pokemon Demo ages ago.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

September 8th, 2021, 19:11
Sounds like nobody likes the card idea very much then.

I'm not entirely convinced either but I'd need to see more clearly how this works outside of combat, and know a little more on their card mechanism.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)

September 8th, 2021, 19:23
I'm not convinced either, but its not an auto-out for me. I think there is some luck in many tactics and rpgs, and I'm not against that per say, if it can be mitigated enough.

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)

September 8th, 2021, 19:24
I thought it looked pretty good. I'd prefer no cards, but the tactical movement, use of environment and use of card skills looked fun. But the two biggest take aways for me were that you’d see and fight other Marvel villains (I thought the only enemies would be Hydra and Lilith’s minions) and corrupted Marvel heroes, which is very interesting. Maybe that’s how you’ll recruit some of them (maybe the ones that haven’t been shown yet?) Anyway, this looks like a Day One purchase for me.

Grifman

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

September 8th, 2021, 21:43
The story and cinematics seem nice. The card system is not something that I like but I am not bothered by it. The gameplay doesn't appeal to me for other reasons:

- There is no tactical movement (it is not grid-based, like in X-COM).

- The combat animations are super exaggerated.

- The most basic enemies seem like a damage-sponge. They take this massive super-hero blow that throws them far away but somehow, they are able to recover?

- When I see these big non-sense numbers rising from enemies' heads every time that you hit them, it is usually a sign of a bad combat system design IMO.

gabrielarantest

Stubborn Dwarf

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

September 8th, 2021, 22:29
Ah. I was up for some sort of Xcom-like RPG. A card game with added Marvel waffle - not so much.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
+1:

September 8th, 2021, 22:55
I don't think it was ever going to be very XCOM-like anyways. We're only getting to control three characters, including the PC, at a time during battles.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)

September 9th, 2021, 11:16
You lost me at Card-Based..
--
SSI Gold Box-style game, we are working on.

mercy

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
+1:

September 9th, 2021, 13:04
Hard meh, disappointed in all aspects so far. That'll teach me, back to XCOM asap.

fatknacker50

Sentinel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

September 9th, 2021, 18:20
Thank goodness we've excellent Xcom's to fall back to! That first game and the Deep are productions that I can always replay.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Marvel's Midnight Suns - Card-Based Gameplay Revealed