--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 223 Post(s)
+1:

September 14th, 2021, 21:30
You mean sixteen years since we've a Star Trek show actually worth viewing. I keep hoping someone brilliant and NOT currently affiliated with Viacom/CBS/Badreboot might glam on to the John Ford interpretation of the Klingon Empire, and make a worthy show out of that. His novel, the Final Reflection, is a stellar read on just how awesome the Klingon race is, when portrayed correctly.

I'll give Strange New Worlds a try, I'm quite astonished that, in this day and age, Nyota wasn't made male or caucasian. They do seem to try and mess with every classic character, so perhaps any alterations to her just aren't so obvious. Discovery and Discard are abject failures, and I expect that trend to continue, so long as the current regime continues.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

September 14th, 2021, 21:56
Just watched First Contact again yesterday on Youtube. That movie really has grown to become my favorite Trek movie.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

September 14th, 2021, 23:34
Yeah, I even have issues with the TNG films because of how Picard was so seriously altered from the television series. Gone is the thinking, contemplating diplomat, viciously replaced by some low-brow thug that, at times, seems almost incapable of coherent thought, let alone actions.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

September 15th, 2021, 20:23
I'm 3-4 episodes from finishing the last season of Mr. Robot. Still as great as I remembered it. Very cool emotional touches. And I knew the music was great, but I guess I missed some of the bangers they have in these final episodes, due to being too focused on the plot. Now that I know what's going on, I can just take it all in in a more relaxed manner.

It's great. I'm excited for the final episodes. There's only one low point in these episodes, that really seems either badly thought out, or should've been cut as it doesn't make much sense or add anything to the story.

Spoiler

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

September 15th, 2021, 21:22
I'm about halfway through series one of Mr. Robot. It's proving to be a good balance for the other two shows I'm watching, Unforgotten and Farscape.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

September 15th, 2021, 21:33
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Farscape.
In ancient times when god walked on earth, the queen of scifi was Claudia Black.

loading…

Farscape was gone, yet noone managed to replace her on that throne.

loading…

I grew old and she became the queen of fantasy.

loading…
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

September 16th, 2021, 21:55
Only took eleven years but one of my favorite comic books called Y: The Last Man was made into a tv show. It was supposed to made into a movie but that was scrapped.

loading…
--
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." & "What is the secret to eternal happiness? To not argue with fools."

Couchpotato

Armchair Contrarian

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
+1:

September 16th, 2021, 21:57
Yeah, that's a solidly great read, yet I'm less than eager to see what it would look like on the screen these days. I hope to read some decent reviews.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

September 16th, 2021, 21:58
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Only took eleven years but one of my favorite comic books called Y: The Last Man was made into a tv show. It was supposed to made into a movie but that was scrapped.
Looks like a very sexist series

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)

September 16th, 2021, 22:00
It's actually very good an almost an exact replication of the books. I recognized every character and even some scenes right away. Much better adaption then Walking Dead.
--
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." & "What is the secret to eternal happiness? To not argue with fools."

Couchpotato

Armchair Contrarian

September 16th, 2021, 22:03
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
Looks like a very sexist series
Well it is as a lesbian researcher killed all men. Nah the books never go into detail.

Seriously though the whole comic is a drama and the ending is a terrible tragedy.

Spoiler – Y: The Last Man theories.

Spoiler – So which theory turned out to be true?
--
Last edited by Couchpotato; September 16th, 2021 at 22:15. Reason: Added Spoiler Tags

Couchpotato

Armchair Contrarian

+1:

September 16th, 2021, 22:37
Well it is as a lesbian researcher killed all men.
What?
The comic Y The last Man is not about that, no lesbian is responsible for the disaster.
If they changed it in tv show, then it's more retarded than the original comic setup.

Also regarding that spoiler, not all male mammals went dead in the comic. The protagonist who is male has a live pet monkey, also male.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

September 16th, 2021, 22:38
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
What?
The comic Y The last Man is not about that.
If they changed it in tv show, then it's more retarded than the original comic setup.
Read the spoiler tags you fool that was a partial truth/theory one.

There are multiple theories but the books never answer the question. Also the actual plot is about a man child who must learn how to be an adult in the post plague world.

It has love, tragedy, betrayal, family bonding, and of course crazy women.

Spoiler – Comic Ending Opinion
--

Couchpotato

Armchair Contrarian

September 16th, 2021, 22:45
Nah, I'm good.
Wrote before, the comic starts great initially but pulls the plug on excitment and goes boring over the course of six books with a letdown of a finale.
Not interested in it's onscreen adaptation, gimme some insane/pervy manga adaptation instead. Here's hope for Berserk live show with no censoring.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

September 16th, 2021, 23:05
It has love, tragedy, betrayal, family bonding, and of course crazy women.
Sound like my life before I met my wife.
--
Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

FIRST KNIGHT OF THE ORDER OF THE BLOB

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

September 16th, 2021, 23:09
Only in the US ?

EDIT : Ignore me, it's going on Disney+ end of Sep in UK

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)

September 17th, 2021, 01:25
Finished Mr Robot the second time. Still as great as I remembered it. It’s particularly a real trip to go down the whole narrative arc, and appreciate how beautiful it was woven. But, now that I saw it the second time I noticed some small pieces of dialogue or monologue that feel a bit awkward. Maybe it’s just me, and I’m just nitpicking.

I’m trying to think if I can name another tv series that I liked more, but I feel like Mr. Robot might top my list of favorite tv shows. It’s definitely up there with Twin Peaks and Leftovers. I feel it’s so much more than just entertainment. It sounds cliche as hell, but it really makes me think.

Other series are also fantastic, but they’re still purely entertainment, and don’t really get you thinking. Stuff like Breaking Bad, The Wire. Six Feet Under might be closer to art than these other two. That one also had a great ending, iirc.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

September 17th, 2021, 01:35
I loved Y: The Last Man back in the day. I was a big Brian K. Vaughan fan at that point, but I was largely disappointed by Saga. I'm not too big on faithful adaptations, but I might check out the TV series at some point.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

September 22nd, 2021, 17:34
I've been watching the Burn's Muhammad Ali series for the past two nights, though I grew up in much of that time, there's plenty I wasn't fully aware of, or simply didn't hear about at the time. The episodes I've watched so far have been fascinating, and I intend to watch another tonight!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread