RPG Codex GOTY 2018 Results

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
RPG Codex posted their 2018 GOTY picks.

Not surprised but thought PoE II would be 1st.

Link - https://rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=11084
1st - Pathfinder: Kingmaker
2nd - Kingdom Come: Deliverance
3rd - ATOM RPG
Guess they bought all that Chris Avellone spiel about Obsidian.:p

Now we just have to wait and compare our picks.

I can't complain on their picks - no Neo Scavenger on the list.

Also kind of surprised PoE2 didn't make top 3, it should have been there in my opinion. Also a bit weird to see a JRPG and an Action game on their top 10. Still, no real complaints from me, they're all decent picks I can agree with.

I'm not really surprised. They're very anti-Obsidian at this point based on the stuff that Avellone has been venting.

Also kind of surprised PoE2 didn't make top 3, it should have been there in my opinion. Also a bit weird to see a JRPG and an Action game on their top 10. Still, no real complaints from me, they're all decent picks I can agree with.

Actually if you look at the graph of #votes it is there, but it didn't get as many 4/4 votes.

https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=11084

If I remember correctly Pillars 1 was 19th on their 2015 list (though they scored differently then) so 6th is a big improvement. The surprise for me is Dragon Quest. Unusual that a classic Jrpg does so well at the Codex. I'll have to pick it up at some point.

Last edited:
ATOM being #3 is pretty surprising considering it was just released last month.

Dragon Quest being higher than PoE II shows how messed up the Codex really is. :)

the GOTY poll is not representative of the taste of Codex members, since literally everybody was allowed to vote and not only registered Codexers.
imo this makes no sense, but afaik it has been this way for the past few years.

the GOTY poll is not representative of the taste of Codex members, since literally everybody was allowed to vote and not only registered Codexers.
Well I didn't vote. So your logic, as per usual on codex, has a plot hole.

But you were allowed to vote.

I wonder why so many weren't happy with BattleTech? Assassin's Creed: Odyssey is surprisingly weak, too.

Looks like Fallout 76 ran away with the disappointment of the year award. Maybe because people quickly figured out that Underworld: Ascendant was a mess and didn't even try to play it.

Pillars of Eternity 2 just announced a turn based mode so Codex historians may look back and wonder WTF twenty years down the line when everyone forgets it didn't come with that option.

Whether people enjoyed Battletech or not, I think many view it isn't an RPG. PoE2 receiving TB may not be such a good thing unless Obsidian actually redesign almost all combat encounter in the game.

They make you pick real time or turns right at the start of the game and won't let you switch so they very well may have!

but you are a single person and not representative of the whole internet gaming community.
every Fortnite kiddie or Fallout 76 fanatic was allowed to vote and this shows. as if a game like Dragon Quest 11 would have scored as high if only registered Codexers were allowed to vote.
you guys at the Watch did the only right thing: only Watchers had the right to vote. I know that, because I tried to participate in your poll and failed. so kudos for keeping it pure.

Yeah, but not everyone wants to talk. Lurkers can be watchers too! My codex account apparently got so little use they deleted it but I still voted in their poll.

imo this makes no sense, but afaik it has been this way for the past few years.

You surprise me. Why would such monocled aesthetes want to let the proles bedevil their annual selection?

You surprise me. Why would such monocled aesthetes want to let the proles bedevil their annual selection?

I asked felipepepe why the GOTY polls are open for anyone and he answered something along the lines that he does not want the Codex to be a "safe space" = polls that were solely influenced by Codex members. don't know the exact reason though.

Back
Top Bottom