Chris Avellone - On Great RPGs and What the Future Holds

Does your own personal moral proclivity extend to endorsing the removal of choice for other people and not just your own personal buying habits? And are you genuinely comparing Avellone's behaviour with exploitative child labour, or were you just using that as an example of your moral consumerism and did not wish to directly compare Avellone's behaviour with exploitative child labour? Do you believe other people should have the right to consume Avellone products because of your own personal moral proclivities?

Does your own personal moral proclivity extend to endorsing the removal of choice for other people and not just your own personal buying habits?

Depends on the case.

And are you genuinely comparing Avellone's behaviour with exploitative child labour, or were you just using that as an example of your moral consumerism and did not wish to directly compare Avellone's behaviour with exploitative child labour?

I don't think I was being awfully ambiguous. Anyways. Yes, I was making an example.

Do you believe other people should have the right to consume Avellone products because of your own personal moral proclivities?

You mean independent of my personal proclivities? Oh, they most definitely should have that right. They should even have the right not to consume it, despite me not asking anyone to stop consuming his products.

Frankly, I think you are reading too much into my post.

I just imagine that if this thread could only be posted in by men who have never sexually harassed a woman in their lifetime, it would have zero posts. The difference? Chris has some tiny level of fame, so his indiscretions were brought to light. Don't become famous, lads, or your day might come. Note: my post would also be missing.

People are complaining that the companies cut ties with him because of the allegations but, like, it makes sense, doesn't it? They only hired him because of his name, after all. It's pure marketing. Now that his name is tarnished, they gotta jump the ship. Pretty straightforward marketing move there.

Also, depending on how big this gets, he'll probably be back in a year or two after people forget. It happens all the time. Not a big fan of cancel culture, but the industry needs some accountability, man. You can't abuse authority acting like an asshole and just get a slap on the wrist.

Is his writing amazing? Hell yeah, but he really doesn't feel like someone I would like to be friends with.

Also, depending on how big this gets, he'll probably be back in a year or two after people forget. It happens all the time. Not a big fan of cancel culture, but the industry needs some accountability, man. You can't abuse authority acting like an asshole and just get a slap on the wrist.
Those de-famed on Twitter usually have a hard time getting back in the same business again. He might be able to stay freelance but developers wont use his name anymore.

A permanent black mark will be on your resume for all time.

People are complaining that the companies cut ties with him because of the allegations but, like, it makes sense, doesn't it? They only hired him because of his name, after all. It's pure marketing. Now that his name is tarnished, they gotta jump the ship. Pretty straightforward marketing move there.

He seems to do little to nothing of substance anymore, just jumps around from project to project without seeming to contribute much more than his name to them. Between that and his suckling at the Codex teat and now this, I've lost pretty much all the respect I had for him back in his Fallout 2/Planescape: Torment days/FNV days.

Surprising. I always viewed him as a workaholic too full of himself to pursue relationships.

His walkout on Obsidian now appears to be a blessing in disguise for Fergus though. What a legal mess that would have been - if forced to fire one of the company's Founders.

Get a woman drunk and it is free game.
Thank you for continuing to uphold the broken stereotype that women are weak willed creatures with no boundaries. It does wonders for equality.

Even the first complainant buys into this fantasy
He got me blackout drunk on Midori Sours (on the company dime).

Lets just open this up and make it equal for everyone. If you are under the influence of drugs or alcohol, everything you do is someone elses fault! Yay!

Just a note - the only drug I know of that can turn a normally timid person into an aggressive beast is PCP (commonly called angel dust, just like FNM masterpiece album).
All others either stone you, remove selfrespect or eliminate your conscience.

Speaking about high doses ofc. Just like in case of alcohol, a glass or two won't u-turn your character, but when dead drunk, it might not be you anymore.

I do however believe this is kinda offtopic unless we're discussing alcohol and drugs use in videogames and connected to that, ingame characters behavior and stories underneath.
Holy shit.
For some reason I thought he was gay, so… double shock.
Being gay does not make one completely immune nor critically vulnerable to drugs and alcohol.
I'll now sound racist, but potential extreme reaction to either mostly depends on your lineage and genes.
It's all about body metabolism. Similar to problems with milk when adults lose the needed enzyme or with gluten intolerance.

Thank you for continuing to uphold the broken stereotype that women are weak willed creatures with no boundaries. It does wonders for equality.
You apparently have a need to deliberately frame what I said in a different way to make it into something else. Good for you.

Lets just open this up and make it equal for everyone. If you are under the influence of drugs or alcohol, everything you do is someone elses fault! Yay!
If you don't belief it is possible to get someone else drunk then there is no basis for a discussion, is there? I do belief it is possible to deliberately get someone else drunk. In which case it is indeed that person's fault.

You apparently have a need to deliberately frame what I said in a different way to make it into something else. Good for you.

If you don't belief it is possible to get someone else drunk then there is no basis for a discussion, is there? I do belief it is possible to deliberately get someone else drunk. In which case it is indeed that person's fault.

I often go to black tie events and witness people holding down one unwilling participant and using a beer bong to inebriate them. Its always amazing how nobody else comments.

On a realistic note, the only difference between one of these stories and the classic meet and marry scenarios... is perception. How many of your friends met someone at an event where alcohol was involved, ended up hooking up, and then staying together....

I'm very open to discussion. I'd love to know how using any evidence other than social stereotypes that someone could watch two professional adults at an event drinking and assign one of them to role of predator and one to victim. Can you imagine the ridicule that the male would get if he claimed the victim role?

I'm very open to discussion. I'd love to know how using any evidence other than social stereotypes that someone could watch two professional adults at an event drinking and assign one of them to role of predator and one to victim. Can you imagine the ridicule that the male would get if he claimed the victim role?

This even happens between men, with no sexual intentions involved. Some people are manipulative assholes, and some people are easily manipulated. Sometimes the former try to get the latter drunk, just for fun. Sometimes it's an means to an end.

Can you imagine the ridicule that the male would get if he claimed the victim role?

I can. So?

I would describe the Twitterati as Drunk With Power… and of manipulating the easily manipulatable.

Re-post of my comment on the forum thread.
Did anyone expect anything else? They treat him as a god on that site.:biggrin:

Anyway it was funny and reads like satire.

Also yeah he has that metro-sexual look going on.

Maybe but I feel like I've done a public service.:p

f8bd12b8d62ea692205b62d5fb13bdce--austin-powers-in-goldmember-tv-quotes.jpg

Anyhow I'm more interested in the Cyberpunk event in a few hours.:drool:

Back
Top Bottom