What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Or you could admit that you apparently don't understand statistics…

I understand statistics just fine. You apparently think approximately 0.00098% of the population in this country equals society. It's ok if you want to stick with that. We'll just chalk it up to different definitions I guess.

Dave Bautista made a new Netflix Zombie movie called Army of the Dead.

Army of the Dead Netflix Official Teaser

Following a zombie outbreak in Las Vegas, a group of mercenaries take the ultimate gamble, venturing into the quarantine zone to pull off the greatest heist ever attempted.

I finally got around to watching Deathproof (2007), the only fully Tarantino directed movie of his I had yet to see.

And I thought it was ok, with quite a lot of really good scenes.

It has a lovely subtle Hitchcockian vibe that simmers throughout the 'boring' first half of the film when, to the not concentrating properly, it seems to be just a film where beautiful women natter away at each other.

I'm not sure whether the dialogue is in any way attempting realism as to how women like to talk when the guys aren't around and it's fairly obvious it's Tarantino going full free-form with his trash-talk writing speciality, but it was still endearing whatever the case.

The scenes of violence are surprisingly sparse and distant apart, but when they hit, they are, again, his trademark full throttle scenes. Similar in style to Once Upon A Time In Hollywood in this regard.

The car chase scenes are a beauty to behold and you can tell all the people involved were having lots of fun with it.

Does it mean anything? Is it anything more than a cool B-Movie? Of course not. But if it was a B-Movie made by someone else then everyone would be hailing it as a hidden gem. I guess people simply expect more from the big T than 'just a cool b-movie' though, which is understandable.

Of all his films, this is the one that gets the least attention, at least positive attention anyway, and I can see that, I just don't agree with that view.

But it's kind of fascinating, and deeply ironic, that it's this film of his that's going to likely be remembered mostly for being a film produced by Harvey Weinstein and co-starring Rose McGowan! [although I never could tell which one was her, and the one I thought was her wasn't in it very long].

7/10 prob wont watch again, but I could if someone else hadn't seen it & wanted to watch it.

I've watched Death Proof a few times, and like it a lot. Any film that can work "Hold Tight" into the sound track gets my vote! It's a solid story, and the acting is superb, especially some of the peripheral roles.

Death Proof is probably my least favorite of all Tarantino's films. (He's mentioned that it's his least favorite as well)

I watched Notting Hill last night with a mate. I'm not one for romantic films, but I can easily watch this one once a year. I still consider myself a Londoner, though I've not visited in quite some time. The leads are good, and the ensemble even better, the odd dialogues and random things happening in the backround are absolutely fantastic to me, and the music is swell.

It's funny when you consider those movies were made by the guy that wrote Blackadder!

Coming 2 America failed the 15 minute grace period. What a pile of shite.

Today I watched Coming to America 2 and yeah it's a huge pile of shit. Such a shame as it's basically an updated Coming 2 America for the modern #MeToo woke world.

Quick some bleach my eyes or my memory of this garbage.:tears:

Also watched Boss Level today. Now that movie was a popcorn time waster but a hell of a lot better then Coming 2 America 2. Just hate movies that end on cliffhangers.

Seems a sequel is in the works so the ending will be explored more.:)

Yeah, I think part of the problem is that the original was very much of its time, and part of the joke was a caricature of African royalty, as King Ralph was to the UK, to have fun with the culture shock idea. But that's not going to fly these days, and they're falling over themselves to add empowering elements, which have no comedy value.

But that's not even the major problem, IMO. It's just terrible across the board, it's lazy, the jokes don't work, and it really feels like people just showed up for the paycheque. I found it unwatchable.

Last edited:
watched Boss Level today.
Seems a sequel is in the works so the ending will be explored more.:)
This timelooop movie has a perfect ending and requires no sequel.

I liked the Salt & Peppa and En Vogue cameos. And that's about it :p

I didn't make it that far.

Two of my most loathed films are the Charlie & the Chocolate Factory and Ghostbusters remakes. That's partly because I'm very fond of the originals, which both had an odd and unique tone that's hard to pin down, but which just works. I think it would be wiser to leave such movies alone, because you don't have a prayer of recapturing the magic - but you don't have to make the attempts so aggravatingly awful that I want to attack my televisual equipment.

This is similarly terrible, but I'm not so attached to the original, which I found amusing and likeable. But to a fan, I'd imagine it's an utter travesty.

This timelooop movie has a perfect ending and requires no sequel.
Nope sequel has been confirmed already by the director and writer.:p

Two morons.

Two of my most loathed films are the Charlie & the Chocolate Factory and Ghostbusters remakes. That's partly because I'm very fond of the originals, which both had an odd and unique tone that's hard to pin down, but which just works. I think it would be wiser to leave such movies alone, because you don't have a prayer of recapturing the magic - but you don't have to make the attempts so aggravatingly awful that I want to attack my televisual equipment.

I thought Charlie and the Chocolate Factory had its moments, although I agree 100% that it's vastly inferior to Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory. I didn't like Depp in it, but I thought most of the kids and their parents were solid. The clone Oompa Loompa was a sad joke though.

Ghostbusters on the other hand was complete shit. It was a terrible idea that had no redeeming qualities imo.

I thought Charlie and the Chocolate Factory had its moments, although I agree 100% that it's vastly inferior to Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory. I didn't like Depp in it, but I thought most of the kids and their parents were solid. The clone Oompa Loompa was a sad joke though.

Ghostbusters on the other hand was complete shit. It was a terrible idea that had no redeeming qualities imo.

Yes, I think the supporting cast in Charlie - the family background bit - was fine, and could have fit into a better movie. There's not a good word I could say about Ghostbusters - unless it's a subversive, avant-garde art piece exploring the boundaries of badness.

But I found them both not just failures, but teeth-grindingly obnoxious.

EDIT: I liked this RLM look back at Willy Wonka. I think they captured the stark difference to the remake.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom