• Mac

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Something else

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Here is a new poll (long overdue). This time we ask you on what platform you usually game. As the assumption is that most of us are gaming on Windows, I've split the different versions up, but did not do that for other platform, so in case you use one of those, you might want to comment on the specifics.

For clarity, only one answer can be given, so this is about the platform you use most of the time at this moment (or the last couple of weeks/months, but not in your lifetime).

Used to be Win 7 because I refused to update to Win 8, but nowadays it's Win 10.

Windows 10 and hate it every day...Thinking to buy a new HDD and make a dual boot with Windows 7 or 8.1

Me too. And then I took an arrow to the knee. :(
Yep I tried to hold out but WIN 10 is required for some games & DX 12. Also the new Game Mode in the latest Win 10 update does increase game performance a little.

Though I use some third party Apps and programs to make Win 10 better. Don't forget to turn off most of the spy features, and user stat uploads to minimum.

Win 10 and I really do not see why people hate it so much …

I think it's a good Windows, but some things it does I just don't understand. Like the fact that it installs Candy Crush on its own and when you uninstall it it installs it again, and again. Or that there's no easy way to disable Cortana, which will not work either way if you don't allow it to access your location. So you have a rather hefty process running in background, using you resources and you are unable to use it or to disable it. Yeah, there are registry tweaks or whatever to disable it completely, but it's not easy for someone new to computers, and it's time consuming for people who know what they're doing. Apart from that I see it as an upgrade over Windows 7.

It still sucks as an OS compared to Linux. It's bloated, it's not as customizable, and some stuff, like updates, is much worse. Unfortunately, I'm tied to Windows since software I'm using is not on Linux, otherwise I'd switch in an instant.

@Ivanwah; You have pretty much nailed it. What we can do easily, now requires a lot of work. The telemetry is more invasive than ever. Loads of bloatware that i do now want, nor need. No customization (i'd like not to install certain stuff that i consider useless, Cortana being the first of those)

Like the fact that it installs Candy Crush on its own and when you uninstall it it installs it again, and again.
Ok, no clue what I'm doing wrong, but candy crush was never installed on my Win 10 machine.
Maybe this is due to the type of Win 10 installation tho. Do you use a Home edition, Professional, or Enterprise / Education (me currently)?

It still sucks as an OS compared to Linux. It's bloated, it's not as customizable, and some stuff, like updates, is much worse. Unfortunately, I'm tied to Windows since software I'm using is not on Linux, otherwise I'd switch in an instant.

Yup. If not for some Software and most Games, I'd also make that jump. Honestly, I doubt this will ever change. (Or when it does, it will be due to the PC market imploding.)

I use Linux for everything, except gaming. I transferred to Linux last year. It took some time to get used to the replacements of the Windows applications (and searching and trying them out), but I have it covered now, with the exception of syncing my iPad, which still requires Windows. I also try to use native Linux applications, so I almost never use Wine.

Ok, no clue what I'm doing wrong, but candy crush was never installed on my Win 10 machine.
Maybe this is due to the type of Win 10 installation tho. Do you use a Home edition, Professional, or Enterprise / Education (me currently)?

I have Pro, but I installed it a year or so ago. Maybe it doesn't do that on Education, or maybe they removed that behavior in one of the recent updates.

Edit:
After some googling I found out they don't install on Education edition:
Games like Candy Crush won't install on Enterprise or Education SKUs, or any Pro device that is joined to AD or AAD.

I use win 10 and Mac OS X about equally. But I chose win 10 for the polll.

Win10 for more demanding games on a pc at home.
OS X on a laptop for indie / less graphically demanding games. Usually on my train commute to and from work.

I use Windows 7 exclusively, and am very happy to do so. I was one of those upset people that loved XP. and hated that they forced us off it, but then I grew to appreciate windows 7. It helps though that I've customized it to work and look like windows XP, with a great free program, Classic Shell, that makes it look and work as closely to XP as possible.

It says a lot about the nightmare that is known as windows 10 that even the expert at Classic Shell threw up his hands and said "forget it, too much of a hassle!" He tried to adopt the program to windows 10, but he got sick of win 10 getting updated all the time and breaking his customizations, and also that it kept straying from classic windows programming and design too much.

Trust me, I'm not the only one who finds windows 10 awful, go to youtube and do a search, like "windows 10 sucks" or "why windows 10 is terrible", and you will find a large selection of videos talking about how bad windows 10 is, and about all the stupid changes and boneheaded things that microsoft did, and not all the videos are old either. There are even some newish type videos that are still talking about it, to this day.

Hum. Should allow multiple selection. I game on windows 10 (a few months ago it was windows 7) AND linux. However, i game on windows 10 more than linux since a lot of games are not available for linux so i picked windows 10 but wanted to add linux.

Windows 10

A few years ago I had a linux/windows dual boot and I tried to use Wine (and native) for gaming as much as possible (as long as it wasn't too much of a pita) and only transferred to Windows for games I couldn't run with Wine. But I changed my motherboard at some point and linux didn't want to recognize the ethernet card so I kinda dropped it…that motherboard now works under a new Linux though (it's on another computer used for web browsing).

Maybe I should look at a new dual boot, I got the HDD space.

No multiple choice? I put Win 10 (which is an excellent OS and all of you who think differently, need Jesus) since it's the main OS, but also do Linux, XBOX, Playstation, iOS and Android.

I put Windows 10, because that's what the household "gaming PCs" have. However, I do play games on my Linux machine now and then - mostly low spec games, e.g. Avernum 3, which I played via Wine during programming breaks. I spend most of my non-gaming computer time on Linux, and have done for years.

Once in a blue moon I might play on a PS3, but that's becoming more and more rare.

Windows 10 here. Works for me.

Cortana is not running, seems like it's not available in Norway (yet?).

pibbur who is not sure if this is sufficient to recommend moving here.

Win10 Pro. Never had Candy Crush installed but I had the OS custom installed and a ton of things disabled or removed as part of that.

Back
Top Bottom