The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

@dteowner - absolutely agree! I do have one album if you dont have any. PM me and I will upload and send link.
Appreciate the offer, but I've got both of their releases. While the first one (In Between Worlds) is an absolute gem from start to finish, the second one is uneven and merely very good. "Forever" is in the running for Favorite Song All Time Evah. I've also got some live/rare MP3's that the band shared years ago- radio station appearance and such. If we can figure out the logistics, I'll be happy to share since all that stuff is very much OOP.

I really need to learn how to do this Youtube stuff. I've rolled around in my head for years doing a "Gaze/Indie March Madness" but many of the songs I want "in the tourney" aren't on free streams anywhere I can dig up.

No worries! I for one would be interested in you curating such a channel.
Don't know if I'm proposing a channel so much as a handful of MP3's matched to slideshows of the CD insert. Junior grade stuff that my girls could probably do in their sleep if I could pin them down long enough to teach me how to do it. There's a YouTube user (slowdive100) that seems to be doing what I'm talking about. Don't know if he/she has a proper "channel" but he/she has created and/or posted a couple hundred videos of good music. That's pretty much the extent of my "vision" for this thing.

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells, live. Just incredible music.

"And the man in the rain picked up his bag of secrets, and journeyed up the mountainside, far above the clouds, and nothing was ever heard from him again, except for the sound of Tubular Bells."

I bet Alrik could sing a song or two about Mr. Oldfield. ;)

Thrasher, you are (and everybody else) welcome ! Don't miss her live performance of Blanket with Jeff Beck, Vinnie Colaiuta and the lovely and incredibly talented Tal Wilkenfeld on the bass guitar !

Thrasher, you are (and everybody else) welcome ! Don't miss her live performance of Blanket with Jeff Beck, Vinnie Colaiuta and the lovely and incredibly talented Tal Wilkenfeld on the bass guitar !

Speaking of Jeff Beck, I got tickets to see him next month in a very small hall (Ulster Performing Arts Center in Kingston, NY). I saw him 2 (maybe 3) years ago in Asbury Park, NJ and it was a good show. His experimentation on the guitar is off the hook

And speaking of Vinnie Colaiuta, I think Ill listen to Joe's Garage at some point today :)

Last edited:
I wanted to hear some of Nad Sylvan's other stuff besides the Genesis Revisted stuff, and I found this album UNIFAUN. Remarkably similar to old Genesis. I mean, it was meant to be a Genesis clone from the start. No wonder Steve Hackett asked him to sing on the tour. If you have exausted the Genesis albums recently, check this out. I couldnt find the whole album in one link but here is an example:

UNIFAUN - Mr Marmaduke and the Minister

I love the new album by Two Gallants. We Are Undone.

Stripped down rock, if that's your thing.

Sometimes I get a little surprise what's gotten put up on Youtube.

Nicole Steen's got a beautiful voice.
"Held Suspended" by Coal

Reaching back a year or two... Don't think this tune ever got released as a single.

"All That We Are" by Scritti Politti

Another prog rock reflective moment brought to you by a confirmed old fart. :)

It may be this music is not better than modern stuff and, admittedly, I first heard it when I was closer to being 12 years old than my current mbmmmen years, but it sure hits a chord with me, so to speak.

So we all know Peter Gabriel was a bit eccentric. His third album is probably one of the strangest (maybe second strangest to his fourth) but some think #3 (also known as "Melt") is his best (including me).

Excellent 30 Year Retrospective of "Melt"

Listening to it again after MANY years, I find it to be a masterpiece, even though some of the guitar and gated drum work sounds a little dated from the 80's. That's probably because of its influence on tons of later post-punk. Funny how a prog rocker came around the backside of punk to have that effect. :)

Some really great artists on this album: Robert Fripp (from King Crimson), Tony Levin (also from King Crimson), Kate Bush, Phil Collins, plus many other renowned session musicians.

Most of the lyrical content is dark and some is disturbing, and nicely, the songs relate to one another with similar themes. Personally, I think "Intruder" remains one of the most clever and darkest songs I've heard (and one of my favorites, oddly enough) - - "Slipping the clippers through the telephone wire". Without further ado, here are my picks from the album. Check them out, and the full album if you feel intrigued.

Not One of Us

Intruder
No Self Control
Family Snapshot

Last edited:
Interesting, but a little too challenging for my usual tastes, thrasher. Intruder reminded me of this toon, though:
"Time's Up" by Saga

Saga's keyboardist is breathtakingly talented. I was a classically trained concert organist back in the day and I'm here to tell you this guy is crazy fast but precise with perfect timing. That's deceptively hard to do and Gilmour does it flawlessly with both hands. Just crazy talent. Picked out a vid of the guy noodling around with a pretty talented guitarist:
video
Strangely enough, I seem to be doing more with talented musicians than usual. Just the other day, I was watching a few vids about Mark King, bassist for Level42:
video

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom