My Time At Portia - Released

I don't know. The promising initial material resulted in a bad game - the ideas weren't bad at all IMO, but it seems being impossible to make it fun with Unity, at least they couldn't.
Portia however is not the same type of a game as PE was (supposed to be), nor is it's "spiritual successor" or something.

Did they officially flee from the Planet Explorers project, or was it simply abandoned?
Abandoned after multiple setbacks to make this new game.

I am really having a blast with it. Feels like a mix between animal crossing, rune factory and harvest moon. I wouldn't say it's stardew valley 3d because the focus here is much more on building and crafting, but farming, animal breeding, fishing, mining, festivals and combat are all here.

I'm a sucker for this kind of game and I'm enjoying it, even though it's nothing revolutionary. I think what it sets out to do is well done.

I would strongly suggest the use of controllers though. There is something about keyboard + mouse that just doesn't feel right here.

Only downside to me is voice acting, but, then again, it's not that important in this case. I would rather have text only with animal crossing style gibberish talking. Much more efficient and elegant that way.

About current voiceover lacking - they plan to add it on everything at a later date within a normal patch. Why not right now - the recording is not done yet.

I really like this game...has a lot of charm.

After what these people did with Planet Explorers, I won't be giving them another cent. This game might be something I'd enjoy, but their business philosophy isn't something I'd feel comfortable supporting.

Man, one sin doesn't mean modus operandi, if it was, after SW:TOR and DA2, none would buy DA3. Or ME4. Okay, Anthem will pay for cloning Destiny, but that's something else.

However, the developer is chinese. So I'm unsure if it's legal to buy Portia due to ongoing trading wars if you live in USA.

Point taken! After all, Dragon Age two clearly made it certain for me that there would only ever be one entry in that series, the first one. One mistake might not be a clear trend, but for now that's the stance I'm taking with these people. I tend not to award folks for blatant shadiness, and that's a mild term for what they did with their kick starter project.

After what these people did with Planet Explorers, I won't be giving them another cent. This game might be something I'd enjoy, but their business philosophy isn't something I'd feel comfortable supporting.

Can we just get this said once and then you move on?:p

I read about it only a few days ago. Looks interesting for my special kind of RPG taste (no blood etc. ;) ) .

From PCinvasion review, a few quotes:
https://www.pcinvasion.com/review/my-time-at-portia-review/

My Time At Portia Review – My Time Waiting And Sleeping

My Time At Portia Is More Of A Waiting Simulator

After Dozens Of Hours, It Becomes Obvious How Empty The Game Is

This Is Definitely One Of The Most Boring Games I’ve Ever Played

If I wrote those things, it'd mean 1/10.
But that site says 5/10. Go figure.

From PCinvasion review, a few quotes:
https://www.pcinvasion.com/review/my-time-at-portia-review/

If I wrote those things, it'd mean 1/10.
But that site says 5/10. Go figure.

There's definitely a lot of waiting involved. I think the game is trying to incentivize you to go out and explore, dungeon dive, and so on. Problem is, you as the player might not always want to do that, and if you're tasked with fulfilling a work order after a long dungeon crawl, sometimes you just want your iron bars so you can make that sweet water tower, and you find yourself sleeping until the next day for them to be done.

wccf's review:
https://wccftech.com/review/my-time-at-portia-review-dont-make-me-leave/
My Time at Portia is a beautiful, relaxing experience. With the charming art style and plenty of activities to go through, players will easily lose themselves in the game's pleasant setting for hours and hours.

8/10
I loved the game and spend 100+ hours with it. The game finale is a bit of meh, but everything else is fun.
Honestly, wouldn't have thought after pretty bad Planet Explorers where designs were horrible (Unity?), this dev can make something this fun.

Back
Top Bottom