Elvira II - Review @ CRPG Addict

Arhu

Two Sides
Staff Member
Administrator
The CRPG Addict played through the Horror themed Adventure-RPG Elvira II: The Jaws of Cerberus from 1991 and gave the game a 33/100 GIMLET score.

I thought that some of the puzzles were rather obscure and illogical, and that there was too much screwing around trying to make sure you had the right inventory items in each situation. Add to this a number of "walking dead" situations (avoided in my case by breaking my rules and looking at spoilers), and I'm not sure it performs well as an adventure game.

On the other side, the role-playing aspects were under-developed. You do get notably stronger with each level-up, but the dungeons are long and boring and the combats bereft of anything you might call "tactics," so for me the role-playing elements were somewhat unwelcome. They mostly just padded the time.

(..)

That gives us a final rating of 33, a little higher than Elvira but not enough to cross into "recommended" territory. Elvira II is definitely a better RPG than Elvira, but being a "better RPG" doesn't count for much if you're still not a good RPG.
In chronological order:

1. Game 191: Elvira II: The Jaws of Cerberus (1991)
  2. A Funny Feeling Up and Down My Spine
  3. Gonna Search and Find that Preacher Man
  4. Won!* (with Final Rating)
More information.

Interesting, I played the first, but never went on to the second Elvira, partly due to Scorpia's column in Computer Gaming World where she experienced problems due to using an item earlier that was needed for the end game so she was unable to progress any farther and a flaw in the save game system wouldn't let her load any recent saves.

It's such a shame after superb Mistress of the Dark movie, the Elvira game sucked.

Back
Top Bottom