GameSpy - 2007 Fall games Preview

magerette

Hedgewitch
In a line-up that focuses heavily on action and FPS titles, Gamespy presents a list of projected Fall releases which includes a short summary of each game. The only RPGs covered are Hellgate:London and The Witcher, but there is a handy list of upcoming releases on the last page.
More information.

Actually a fair amount I'm interested in:
September
Medal of Honor: Airborne (9/4)
The Settlers: Rise of an Empire (9/25) (the DS game ruined my interest in this one)

October
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars (10/2)
Half-Life 2: The Orange Box (10/9)
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer (10/9)
Painkiller: Overdose (10/15)
Thrillville: Off the Rails (10/16) (I'll do the PSP or DS one)
You Are Empty (10/16) (already played and reviewed)
F.E.A.R.: Perseus Mandate (10/23)
The Witcher (10/30)
Hellgate: London (10/31)

November
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (11/5)
Gears of War (11/6)
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway (11/13)
Crysis (11/13)
Unreal Tournament 3 (11/19)

... and that is just for PC ...

Interesting that Mask of the Betrayer doesn't merit a write-up, but it is Gamespy, I guess--consider the source and all. :)
The only titles on the list I'm really anticipating are MoTB, HG:L and The Witcher.
Settlers is a possibility, though. I've heard it's a pretty good series.

The list contains two-and-a-half games I'm really looking forward to (UT3, Clive Barker's Jericho, TF2 (contained in the HL2 Orange pack if I understood that correctly)) and one game I'm looking forward to (The Witcher).

Yep, the 'orange' pack has TF2, HL2:Ep2 and Portal

I'm afraid I won't touch HL2 Ep2, but I hope TF2 is worth it. I long to return to my engineer roots :).

Kinda lets you know the state of cRPG's when everyone on an RPG site is more interested in the other genres. That includes me btw.

Last edited:
Weeeell, I come from the other side of the table (the FPS side) , just like Mike, so I assume it's natural for us. But I see where you're coming from. I doubt it has to do with the quality of contemporary CRPGs, though: personally, I haven't been truly satisfied by any game that was made after 2000, no matter which genre. That I'm looking forward to just one CRPG right now but 2 1/2 shooters is most probably the result of the current production ratio of shooters to CRPGs.

Last edited:
i doubt i'll buy jericho this year but i suppose if the demo is really good its possible. never played any other clive barker games and his movies aren't my cup of tea usually. its being developed if i recall by mercury steam who developed scrapland and previously under a different name severence:blade of darkness.

Kinda lets you know the state of cRPG's when everone on an RPG site is more intereseted in the other genres. That includes me btw

Aside from what Jaz said being true, the fact is that GameSpy did a pretty crappy job of covering anything outside of mainstream & action games.

HL2 Ep2 is one of the few games I'm really looking forward to playing.

F.E.A.R.: Perseus Mandate is another one, I can't believe that's going to be out in October already.

Looking forward to Witcher. I'm waiting for the eventual "Gold Pack" or whatever with FEAR. I know it's a game I want to play, but I'd rather pay 20 bucks in a year for the whole enchilada, original game and expansion, since i'm not particularly chomping at the bit for an FPS.

Need to finish NWN II already!

Can I ask why?

I'm opposite - I never played TF, and have no interest in TF2 ...
Sure you can; for me, HL2 was so boring that I was glad when I had finally finished it and could push the 'uninstall' button. Not even Barney could save the day for me, and I'm a day one HL1 and Barney fan :).
I heard that Ep1 had a higher entertainment factor, but somehow... I just don't know. I have serious trouble liking any of today's shooters. Even Doom3 grossed me out, and I'm a Doom fan. Looks like my days as a SP FPS player are over for good *shrugs*.
Anyhoo, since I didn't play Ep1 for abovementioned reasons (fear of wasting what little game time I nowadays have with a game I might not enjoy at all), I'm not going to play Ep2, either. But since the original TF was my long-time favorite multiplayer game (only to be toppled by DoD later on), I'll definitely check out TF2. Even though my hardcore MP FPS times are over as well. But I so long to return to 2fort! Call it nostalgia :).

Looking forward to Witcher. I'm waiting for the eventual "Gold Pack" or whatever with FEAR. I know it's a game I want to play, but I'd rather pay 20 bucks in a year for the whole enchilada, original game and expansion, since i'm not particularly chomping at the bit for an FPS.

Need to finish NWN II already!

F.E.A.R. Gold is already out, it features the original game and the "Extraction Point" expansion pack. I wouldn't wait for a bundle featuring all 3 , if it ever happens it's going to be a long time away, especially since Perseus Mandate is a standalone game.

F.E.A.R.: Perseus Mandate is another one, I can't believe that's going to be out in October already.
I hope this one turns out well, there seems to be so much going on so many different fronts for FEAR that we could end up with the equivalent of the PS3 port of the original ... but I hope not. (the PS3 port was crappy if you couldn't guess)

But I so long to return to 2fort! Call it nostalgia :).
Oh I miss that map as well. In fact is was the original Team Fortress Classic that prompted me and a couple of friends to start a internet café club "back in the summer of 69, oh yeah" ... erm, sorry, 99 in think it was. Said "club" still exist today and we get together every 2 weeks and shoot the crap out of each other.

Lately the number of fitting games for our 8-12 man virtual violence spree is getting rather small and I've been longing for Quake Wars and especially TF2 for quite a while now. The recently released introduction clips on Steam (Meet the Soldier/Heavy) is just pure comedy gold and I'm really getting hyped about TF2 now. :excited:

Of course being a real gaming nut and liking most genres except MMOs and Sim/Tycoon games there are quite a few on that list that I'm looking forward to and on top of that there are also a bunch of JRPGs being released for the 360 that I'm eagerly awaiting.

i doubt i'll buy jericho this year but i suppose if the demo is really good its possible. never played any other clive barker games and his movies aren't my cup of tea usually. its being developed if i recall by mercury steam who developed scrapland and previously under a different name severence:blade of darkness.
I was interested in Jericho already but I didn't realize who were making so now I'm REALLY interested (Severance was and still is a great game and Scrapland was also pretty good if a little too consolified for my tastes at the time).

Sure you can; for me, HL2 was so boring that I was glad when I had finally finished it and could push the 'uninstall' button. Not even Barney could save the day for me, and I'm a day one HL1 and Barney fan :).
I heard that Ep1 had a higher entertainment factor, but somehow... I just don't know. I have serious trouble liking any of today's shooters. Even Doom3 grossed me out, and I'm a Doom fan. Looks like my days as a SP FPS player are over for good *shrugs*.
Anyhoo, since I didn't play Ep1 for abovementioned reasons (fear of wasting what little game time I nowadays have with a game I might not enjoy at all), I'm not going to play Ep2, either. But since the original TF was my long-time favorite multiplayer game (only to be toppled by DoD later on), I'll definitely check out TF2. Even though my hardcore MP FPS times are over as well. But I so long to return to 2fort! Call it nostalgia :).

I really enjoyed HL2 and EP1, although I am usually not particularly a FPS fan. It just provided a fun ride. I am curious about TF2 as well, that is also one of the great vaporware stories of gaming history, so it will be interesting to see what finally came out of it.

Looking forward to NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer and The Witcher. Should be a good couple of months now, but Christmas might be a bit boring. Guess I'll have to dig up some old RPGs again. :)

Back
Top Bottom