Bound By Flame - Will be 30 Hours Long

I remember when expansions were 30 hours. I guess that shows you how old i am. Anyway, it still look like a good game. And i plan on getting it.

Oh boy, if he thinks DArt is a fanboy of Skyrim, I wonder what he'd think of me and wolfgrimdark :)

OF course, I only play it for the lapdances from Vilja.

It's quite the obligatory derogative these days. I wonder what spike-sitters used to call people who like something they don't?

I can't seem to remember a similar term from the past.

It's quite the obligatory derogative these days. I wonder what spike-sitters used to call people who like something they don't?

I can't seem to remember a similar term from the past.
I'm starting to believe he is genuinely autistic. Fanboyism is clear as I never said I dislike skyrim and yet he goes on a rant. I just challenged the preposterous claim that unmodded skyrim has 60-70 hours of content.

Can we please get back to topic - taking about spiky things in rectums is not nice.

Now sir_brennus mentioned a review by Gamestar for Bound by Flame; would any of our German colleagues that have access to this magazine can elaborate or summarise this review please.

Can we please get back to topic - taking about spiky things in rectums is not nice.

Now sir_brennus mentioned a review by Gamestar for Bound by Flame; would any of our German colleagues that have access to this magazine can elaborate or summarise this review please.

First the numbers:
Graphics: 7/10
Sound: 6/10
Balancing: 8/10
Atmosphere: 6/10
Handling: 8/10
Size: 8/10
Quests: 5/10
Character system: 8/10
Combat system: 8/10
Items: 7/10

The reviewer mentions a great combat system and a character system that allowes individual characters. But he criticises the lack of surprises, clever ideas and engrossing moments. He mentions frustration about the story which does not motivate him to continue and the bad art direction. He feels emotionally uninvolved and calls the main character unlikeable.

First the numbers:

The reviewer mentions a great combat system and a character system that allowes individual characters. But he criticises the lack of surprises, clever ideas and engrossing moments. He mentions frustration about the story which does not motivate him to continue and the bad art direction. He feels emotionally uninvolved and calls the main character unlikeable.

Well, I have it preordered for the PS4, because there aren't any RPGs released yet for the system, but it looks like I'll hold off for a bit for the pc version, until a steam sale, for when I wanna play it with better graphics, I'm assuming, as compared to the PS4.

Remember that its 25-30 hours for one playthrough.

Mars: War Logs was about 15 hours for one playthrough, but you will not see all the different game paths, choice driven quests/side quests and had the opportunity to try all different skill paths. You will need at least another playthrough for these things, which are not cosmetic differences.

This means that Bound by Flame would be 50 - 60 hours for me after a couple of playthroughs to see everything.
Well, that might be a valid point for many players, but for me it is not. I usually don't play story-driven RPGs more than once. (At least not within a few years.) With a playthrough I create kind of a "personal state" of the game's fictional world. Creating another one of these states somehow breaks immersion for me.

Pretty sure people only play skyrim to beat it to the sex mods after finishing the story.
I'm not sure where are you coming from but that is completely incorrect.

Unlikable main char... I know I don't want a hollywood plastic top model hero. Usually, if possible, I make my heroes at least a bit ugly. :)
Okay, okay, it's probably hero's story he didn't like.

So it's a slightly above average game according to Gamestar, right?

First the numbers:

Thank you sir_brennus for the details.

Sounds like a Mars War Logs review, as the same can be said about the story(ies) there as well. I personally found them a breath of fresh air from the common sterotypes, so I am not giving up on Bound by Flame yet.

It is good to see good scores for combat and crafting, which is what I expected, and what I also liked in Mars War Logs.

Again, many thanks for the translation, and I look forward to play it.

I'm not sure where are you coming from but that is completely incorrect.

Unlikable main char… I know I don't want a hollywood plastic top model hero. Usually, if possible, I make my heroes at least a bit ugly. :)
Okay, okay, it's probably hero's story he didn't like.

So it's a slightly above average game according to Gamestar, right?

Yes, that seems right. They call it "solid".

They have this short "pros and cons" box in ever review and so you got it in a nutshell:

+
good combat
innovative monster designs
free character development

-
boring and inconsequential plot
few intersting skills
boring quests in small tube levels

BTW: they say it is only 15 hours long.

30 hours is PLENTY for me. Games longer than that get boring as the mechanics stay the same and it's more and more filler added to get a pull-quote about "70+ hours!" on the box.

Only 15? Hmmm…
It'll be out in 2 weeks, the date is friday which means I'll be able to either confirm or deny it on the day after the release.

Maybe they ought to say the main campaign in 15 hours?
I never play just the main story in a RPG. It's like eating only the cream on the top and throwing the rest of the cake away.

I wouldn't get hung up on the Gamestar ratings. They're not my German-language games magazine of choice. By way of comparison, they gave Mars: War Logs a 59/100, Of orcs and Men 70/100, and Dragon Age 2 87/100. If possible, rely on a reviewer whose tastes align with your own.

The 'tube' levels (schlauchlevels in the text?) sound about right; the vids (minimap in the corner) suggested as much and that's also mostly the basic structure of Of Orcs and Men. Mars:War Logs and BioWare's RPG's.

Only 15? Hmmm…
It'll be out in 2 weeks, the date is friday which means I'll be able to either confirm or deny it on the day after the release.

Maybe they ought to say the main campaign in 15 hours?
I never play just the main story in a RPG. It's like eating only the cream on the top and throwing the rest of the cake away.

I seem to remember that during one of the early 2013 presentations one of the devs, when asked about the length, answered around 20, meaning the main quest. I couldn't find the vid just now, but for a quick but thorough playthrough of the main quest 15 hours sounds about right; for instance Brad Gallaway's (Gamecritics.com) review of DA2 mentioned that he finished that game in 22 hours, whereas most people would take 30 hours or more.

Hey, don't worry, no need to find that vid. It's just a first review out there, we'll see what others say pretty soon.

15 hours sounds like the same length as Mars and Orcs.

I liked Mars, I did pretty much everything in around 15 hours, which I felt was ok but ideally the double would have been better. If Bound by Flames main quest is around 15 then it should as many have said end up at around 30 hours if you do all the sidequests, which sounds just about perfect to me. Games like these have to be exceptional to keep me interested longer than that.

inconsequential plot

I think this argument is invalid or clear nonsense. I would be cautious about this review based on all these small bits of info. I can understand that the game may be shorter than initially anticipated. Spiders work under pretty restricted budget and with very limited time - its like "deliver one game a year" to Focus. But I dont believe that they omitted some choices and consequences which they had in Mars. This feature is important for them. And Mars has similar or even smaller budget.
It seems that reviewer pretty much run through the game and didnt pay much attention because its not bEAware-style RPG. So "short game" and "bad story" could be just product of his own play style or lack of interest.

Fluffyhotep: thanks. Your ratings info supports my suspicion about the review.

Fluffyhotep said:
I wouldn't get hung up on the Gamestar ratings. They're not my German-language games magazine of choice. By way of comparison, they gave Mars: War Logs a 59/100, Of orcs and Men 70/100, and Dragon Age 2 87/100.

It's never about the length, just how good it is. And if it turns out to be nearly as decent as Mars: War logs is, well, that works for me. I've not played the Orcs game as of yet.

It's never about the length, just how good it is. And if it turns out to be nearly as decent as Mars: War logs is, well, that works for me. I've not played the Orcs game as of yet.

I completely agree most games that over promise on game length usually contain nothing but filler content. Based on all of Spiders past RPGs 15-30 hours is normal.

Seems Bound by Flame is looking to be their most ambitious game to date. I always wondered what they could make with a proper budget.

I'll end my little post by saying I can't wait to play the game.:thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom