HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
A new patch is announced in the Expeditions: Viking April Newsletter:

Sound the Horn!

Greetings Vikings!

It's official, our Viking expedition has landed, Expeditions: Viking released last Thursday and we've been busy! Read below for some coverage highlights, a recap of the release weekend, mail list rewards chat, and a talk of things to come.

We know this April Newsletter is showing up a little late, but we did send your rewards out prior to the release last week so you've all got your DLC codes in that previous mail out.

[...]

Coverage Highlights

Have a look at some of the coverage that's already come out for Expeditions: Viking. If you're into written reviews a number of them have popped up already! Here is a link to the Metacritic Page where you can read a number of reviews. Or you can jump to the staff pick, Hooked Gamers.

[...]

Release Weekend Recap

Well the first weekend is over and we're working hard to patch in some fixes and updates for Expeditions: Viking. We were a bit too bold in our patching efforts over the weekend and introduced a few frustrating bugs as a result of rushing a build. It's unfortunate that this happened, but it was with the best of intentions.

If any of you have run into these errors, we've been pulling long days and late nights working to resolve them. We've released a 1.0.1.5 patch that takes care of the majority of high priority issues and we're very close to releasing a 1.0.2 patch (later this week) that should get the rest of them.

Even with these errors, there has been a lot of positive reviews and encouragement from the community. We are grateful for all the support!

[...]
More information.

The hotfix patch corrupted save games for many people (myself included) and there are quest breaking bugs in some cases.

I still think this is one of the best games I have played in a long time. I love it and already plan my next playthrough (Raider now, Trader next).

If you can't live with a few bugs, you might want to wait for a few more patches, though.

Is there a review in the making by RPGwatch?

edit: not that it matters for me, bought it just now :D

Last edited:
Great fun, bad bugs, best guess, released 2 months early.

Is there a review in the making by RPGwatch?

edit: not that it matters for me, bought it just now :D
Yep, this definitly should be reviewed by the watch to give some PR to this imho great developers.

I'll wait some more patches and first complete T:ToN and perhaps Tyranny.

Because reading steam whines one could think the game is broken as Batman: Arkham Knight was on release and it's not, seems some people there expect perfection from indie releases while ignoring crapload of bugs in AAA titles.

More important, Expeditions2 is not some clone of clones, it's pretty unique combination of "old" designs.
Romances are one example, if one of possible to romance sidekicks likes your choices and you engage in it, it won't just stop on kiss/sex scene and that's it (Bioware romance design), but during all random chatty afterwards LI will continue to say something obviously being emotionally involved. I won't say it's awsome or it stinks, compared to other games that added romances it's refreshing.

Slaves are another example. Keeping them is not considered outright evil, it's a society where having thralls was considered acceptable. While the world won't care if you use them or not, your choice, your protagonist's crewmembers will react with morality boost or drop depending on their character. Greedy companions will be happy if you keep thralls, but will hate if you release them. At one point you'll have a choice to bless slavetrading or not in your army camp, not everyone in your party will be happy if you do. etc

Even a not so detailed review here would be nifty.

Maybe releasing the game in Early access would actually help, there was (according to devs) around 1000 beta testers while in EA there would be thousands of players..
More bugs spotting and squashing :)

Well, I think one dedicated beta tester is more valuable than 10 random EA players. You need to do systematic issue reporting for QA to be effective.

You mean are all bugs fixed? No. If they continue with current speed, that'll probably happen next week.

Worth noting is due to feedback they're thinking about adding start turn formation so we don't have to pump up shields use on glass cannons. If they do decide to add it, that won't happen soon - bugfixes are their priority, not some new features, DLC or MMO maps.

I never had a problem with initiative in combat, but then I'd only played about six hours. Archers and spear wielders are scary though, wish axe wielders weren't so gimp. I just kept my healer sorta around wherever my archer was going next.

In that case feel free to go for the game. Almost everything is sorted out with patch 1.02 that was applied today.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/445190/discussions/0/1326718197207938282/

I've noticed something is not fixed - if you take an item needed for Apples quest before it's open, upon completing the quest it will still show in journal as unsolved, but it's a minor annoyance IMO as you still get rewarded with a certain awsome weapon.
Also, I don't think the sewers hostiles being linked to a group outside was fixed, sadly I don't have a savegame on that point any more to test it, but because kicking NPCs out from your group got fixed this could cause only minor annoyance (upon reloading a savegame you can be "teleported" into a fight you'd go for anyway).
Probably a few more minor things are not included, but as I said in the previous post, if you want it all "clean" just postpone the game for next week.

Well, I think one dedicated beta tester is more valuable than 10 random EA players. You need to do systematic issue reporting for QA to be effective.

I think the problem was the beta testers were volunteers (anyone who signed up to their newsletter had beta access) so they weren't really dedicated; just fans who wanted to check out the game. I think Logic Artists also said something about having about 1 month of internal QA but that clearly wasn't really enough. But I don't think EA players are necessarily better than volunteer beta testers; the only advantage of Early Access just would have made players a bit more forgiving about bugs because you expect some bugs in an EA title...

Oh well, I just hope the complaints of bugs and stability problems don't prevent people from buying. It's a good CRPG and I think it will be well above average once they've had a chance to update it. I really want this game to be a success as there aren't many RPGs being made like this and I hope to see more Expeditions games in the future.

Because reading steam whines one could think the game is broken as Batman: Arkham Knight was on release and it's not, seems some people there expect perfection from indie releases while ignoring crapload of bugs in AAA titles.

Written a month after MEA release which exhibited players deliberately spending hours manufacturing bug display unrelated with the gameplay while failing to spend a few hours to showcase the possibility to play with wingers in a fight.

Players have been paying attention to bugs for ages. It is only lately with the trending up crowdfunded scene that players have called to give a pass on bugs to crowdfunded products (allowing a scene that releases bugged on purpose products to happen)
AAA products have never been given a free pass on bugs.
Video makers make a business off ranting on AAA bygs while staying silent on bug packed crowdfunded products.

Back
Top Bottom