The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

As it happens, today's song has been the tune mentioned in my previous PSA:
"I Follow" by Ether Aura

Listening to And One's "Pimmelmann". Don't ask.
You can get a sound clip here: Click Amazon. No idea if it works, though (no sound board in this rig).

Classic Sarah sound for y'all today. Heard this (again) on Vertigo last night and it's sticking.

"LikeTheWhirlwindYouArrivedIn" by Marine Time Keepers
(for the brave souls that actually give it a try, stick with it thru the first chorus--the chorus is just too darn smooth)

The Gathering - Always

B0000021IF.01._AA130_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This is pre-female vocals Gathering, and definitely way different, and way heavier than their newer stuff. I read comparisons between this cd and Therion's "Symphony Masses:Ho Drakon Ho Megas" and I think that's quite an accurate comparison. The weird sort of ultra-distinct quasi-kabbalistic eastern-tinged keyboard-laced rolling double-bass double-bass blackish metal. It's just... weird, it's a very unique metal sound, but always extremely heavy. Has the gruff death vocals, and a hint of female vocals here and there for flourish, but no full sections.

I love it personally, it has a different feel than the typical occult-drenched type of music of this vein. It's kult, but it's more ceremonial magic, Temple of Solomon type kult feel than pseudo-pagan or straight out diabolic.

Also have been getting into Pentagram's "Be Forewarned". I usually dont listen to much Stoner Doom, but this cd has really grown on me, it's actually very grim.

As it happens, today's song has been the tune mentioned in my previous PSA:
"I Follow" by Ether Aura

Liked that one dte--I can see actually owning this music. The Marine Timekeepers not so much. The moodiness here is more my style.

I really like that Ani DiFranco bit that abbaon posted as well. I wonder about the svenska version tho--like maybe the singer altered the lyrics a bit to get that level of response.o_o

Samhain--you can only listen to 30 seconds of your Gathering stuff, and not at all to the Pentagram cuts. But I liked what I heard, which was mostly intro and just a little gruff male vocal. Must be that "weird sort of ultra-distinct quasi-kabbalistic eastern-tinged keyboard-laced rolling double-bass double-bass " thing.:cool:

Had a chance to listen to your rec, Jazzy. It's actually not bad if I'm in a new wave mood. The German lyrics still throw me though--it's so distracting as my mind stubbornly tries to grab bits and pieces to translate.

@magerette- I'm a regular fanboi for Ether Aura, so I'd certainly encourage such a purchase. Their first cd, "Crash", is a bit better IMO, but the pop leanings of the new one, "Before We Could Sing" make it more accessible (and probably preferable) to the non-gazer public. I'd recommend both cds without reservation.

Nothing stuck in my head yet this morning. Perhaps later...

@dte: *Don't* try to understand their lyrics... you're better off this way, believe me. Some of it is utter nonsense, like 'Pimmelmann'... it's about a... oh no, don't ask. Don't try to understand. Just enjoy! :biggrin:

I just can't help myself, Jaz. It's not an effort to "know" the lyrics, it's more of a "solve the puzzle" kind of thing. I can't shut it off. I do the same thing with Japanese (although I'm far better with my high school German than my college Japanese).

@magerette again--I mentioned these folks as a reference point for Ether Aura earlier. Got me thinking about them again.
All About Eve
Their MySpace page isn't overly helpful. Julianne seems to want to distance herself from their debut.

I understand Dte's problem; I try to use my high school french to translate Piaf!! :)

http://www.amazon.com/Kindly-Stop-Me-Chainsuck/dp/B00000JGXN/ref=m_art_li_0/104-4360989-6182322

i tried real hard to find you guys some non 30 seconds clips of this great band from the past 92-2001--chainsuck. shoegaze, goth, and some industrial sounds all why being very listenable. i've owned both of their albums for about 6 years but i've never really known their history. apparent one of the members died though and that is why they didn't release any more albums. the link is to their second album and i'd suggest just letting the amazon player play through all the short clips to get a feel for them. the great thing though is you can usually pick either of their cds for dirt cheap which is great on top of both albums full of all good tunes.

Last edited:
Solid stuff, curious. I think I prefer the first release (particularly "Only Son"), although both are worth a listen. Vocally, I hear a good bit of Goldfrapp, which ain't a bad thing.

Continuing the PSA trend, 2 new tracks off the new cd at Ether Aura's MySpace page. "The Other End" is a great song, although not necessarily representative of the album. "Twist" is pretty straight-forward pop.

All sorts of good news the past couple days!

New Tearwave on MySpace!
"Nightingale"
Plus a release date for their debut: 3APR!

Delia Derbyshire's Electrosonic released as a compilation in 1972. Sounds for television, film and radio.

alchemists_lead.jpg

Dte I had to shoot this group your way. Music might be good if they could sing, but you will appreciate the name.

I did like Parashoots and Flying Machines by Prego.

How Like a Winter - Beyond My Grey Wake

It was pretty hard to get my paws on this cd, but it was worth the trouble IMHO, it's nice to hear a good "real" gothic metal cd. There has been this sort of new bullshit convention that's come about, that ANY metal that features female vocals is gothic metal. Im sorry, that's just not the case. Nightwish is a good band, but they arent gothic metal, neither is Evanescence, or Leaves Eyes. There's no tragedy in their music, no dark romance, and theyre missing the harsh distorted, otherworldly male vocals, that's half the equation right there. True, their women paint their faces stark white in publicity photos, but that's about the extent of it. While it's true that there's a bunch of good "real" doomy gothic metal out there, Ive burned thru a good deal of it. This band is like a cross between two of my favorite bands in the genre, Theatre of Tragedy and Trail of Tears. Good stuff!

Up until this morning I thought the name of the band was Beyond My Grey Wake and the cd was titled "How like a Winter", when it's actually the other way around. This seems to be the way the band is referred to online here and there, and it's led to much confusion.

How Like a Winter @ Myspace

Last edited:
OK, here's a loop fer y'all. I can skip most of the "vocals" and all the rap sections, but the drum and bass lines are tres catchy for me. Too bad they're the pinnacle of concept bands...

"Feel Good Inc" by Gorillaz

I've been listening to several things... Beastie Boys, Arcade Fire, Modest Mouse, Twinemen, Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, Morphine... Even some Elvis Costello.

I'm planning on getting Arcade Fire's "Neon Bible" as soon as possible. Anyone heard it yet?

Back
Top Bottom