Digital Antiquarian - Ultima VI

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The Digital Antiquarian explores Ultima VI and the influences and events behind its creation.

Following what had always been Richard Garriott's standard approach to making an Ultima, the Ultima VI team concentrated on building their technology and then building a world around it before adding a plot or otherwise trying to turn it all into a real game with a distinct goal. Garriott and others at Origin would always name Times of Lore, a Commodore 64 action/CRPG hybrid written by Chris Roberts and published by Origin in 1988, as the main influence on the new Ultima VI interface, the most radically overhauled version of same ever to appear in an Ultima title. That said, it should be noted that Times of Lore itself lifted many or most of its own innovations from The Faery Tale Adventure, David Joiner's deeply flawed but beautiful and oddly compelling Commodore Amiga action/CRPG of 1987. By way of completing the chain, much of Times of Lore‘s interface was imported wholesale into Ultima VI; even many of the onscreen icons looked exactly the same. The entire game could now be controlled, if the player liked, with a mouse, with all of the keyed commands duplicated as onscreen buttons; this forced Origin to reduce the "alphabet soup" that had been previous Ultima interfaces, which by Ultima V had used every letter in the alphabet plus some additional key combinations, to ten buttons, with the generic "use" as the workhorse taking the place of a multitude of specifics.

Another influence, one which Origin was for obvious reasons less eager to publicly acknowledge than that of Times of Lore, was FTL's landmark 1987 CRPG Dungeon Master, a game whose influence on its industry can hardly be overstated. John Miles remembers lots of people at Origin scrambling for time on the company's single Atari ST in order to play it soon after its release. Garriott himself has acknowledged being "ecstatic" for his first few hours playing it at all the "neat new things I could do." Origin co-opted Dungeon Master‘s graphical approach to inventory management, including the soon-to-be ubiquitous "paper doll" method of showing what characters were wearing and carrying.
[...]
More information.

Another really good and well researched article from the Digital Antiquarian. It was very interesting to read about the activities in the background such as Warren Spector's hiring.

Ultima VI was really a turning point in the series with a newer mouse-driven interface and less emphasis on combat, and to be honest, at the time I didn't care for the changes to the formula that had worked so well for the five previous iterations. I had played Times of Lore, so the interface wasn't radically different than that, but I didn't like the combat being less strategic and more automated and also disliked the dungeons being the same as the rest of the game, not the pseudo-3D Wizardy-like of the previous titles. By the time I had got around to playing the Worlds of Ultima though, I had become accustomed to the new look and feel.

Probably the best write up I've read in 10 years. Very informative and well written.

Very interesting.

pibbur who for some reason (which is a bit unclear to him now, after all those years) didn't finish U6, and is a bit ashamed. But he did finish the Spin-Off, Martian Dreams and enjoyed it tremendously.

Probably the best write up I've read in 10 years. Very informative and well written.

The Digital Antiquarian blog is amazing. I highly recommend reading entries on others games which interest you, or even those which don't. Or just read the whole blog chronologically like I am (using the ebook format he provides) which gives a great perspective to how all these game companies grew (and died). It will be a while before I get to this U6 entry though... I'm only on 1985 now.

The Digital Antiquarian blog is amazing. I highly recommend reading entries on others games which interest you, or even those which don't. Or just read the whole blog chronologically like I am (using the ebook format he provides) which gives a great perspective to how all these game companies grew (and died). It will be a while before I get to this U6 entry though… I'm only on 1985 now.

There's a couple of articles I've already booked marked to read. I'm sure there are more. The U6 article was done well. For once a writer that doesn't showcase their vocabulary and persnickety quips but instead serves up a ton of informative content. Sort of the "Witcher 3" of online commentaries. Well done.

Back
Top Bottom