Dragon Age: Inquisition - Combat Video

Don't be so sure.
I planned to buy that other EA game I've mentioned above and after learning details about it I've changed my mind.

It all depends. For example, I wouldn't want this to happen:

Which after the public outcry became:

Instead of putting Citadel DLC as free and real ending content as it is exactly that.

I don't get why they still stick to the same old gameplay since the first BG game still even though it is quite obvious that they don't want to. The third person perspective and close camera combined with the more action based gameplay makes it seem like they want to make a game more akin to Dark Souls but they completely lack the know-how. Maybe in Dragon Age 4 combat will finally be good. Pause and play make for a poor non-immersive experience, it worked in 1998 but today?

I'm not sure what your problem is with pause and play. I actually like it as an approach to combat in a party-based RPG. When best executed, it might even be my preferred route for a party-based RPG, though only a handful of games have executed it well.

@joxer
God, when getting excited for this, I forgot that EA also has the worst DLC policies in the industry. Out of all of Bioware's games, I've only bought a -few- DLC for DAO (not even all). DAO:Awakening was actually great. I'd totally buy something like that again. But.. important DLC featuring characters from past games (cut from the main game just to sell as DLC) or ending material that should've been part of the actual, you know, ending. Fuck that man.

And the kicker is that they don't even do GOTY editions anymore. I think only ME1 and DAO actually let you buy the game and all DLC in one package. And their DLC -never- goes on sale.

I don't get why they still stick to the same old gameplay since the first BG game still even though it is quite obvious that they don't want to. The third person perspective and close camera combined with the more action based gameplay makes it seem like they want to make a game more akin to Dark Souls but they completely lack the know-how. Maybe in Dragon Age 4 combat will finally be good. Pause and play make for a poor non-immersive experience, it worked in 1998 but today?
I think RTwP as a combat mechanic never has been better than in DA2. I'm not talking about enemy respawn, but how combat action is handled. DA2 was the first game of it's kind that had an interesting real-time combat experience and at the same time offered a lot of strategic control. Maybe not all combats took advantage of it, but heavy encounters like against the dragon clearly profited from it. So for me DA:I looks very promising as it seems to continue the formula of DA2. It has everything RTwP stands for: action, control and eye candy. I only hope they continue to offer companion AI scripts as well.

And the kicker is that they don't even do GOTY editions anymore. I think only ME1 and DAO actually let you buy the game and all DLC in one package. And their DLC -never- goes on sale.
Unfortunately, that's exactly what prevents me from buying EA games at the moment. I'd really like to play ME2 and 3, but this DLC policy is a no go. In the end you pay more for DLC than the game.

It reminds me more of XCOM than Dragon Age: Origins but that's not a bad thing. At least it has tactical combat back. Now all it needs are some choices that matter and a good ending and we've got a good RPG on our hands.

And is it only me, or does anyone else wonder if comtess' Elodie tailor just really wanted her to shut up?

It's Orlesian fashion. It's probably not the worst they can come up with. Peasants wear normal clothing.

The critical feature of a rtwp combat system is queuing up commands. Maybe they should call it as such

That looked surprisingly good to be honest. It's obviously on easy to show off abilities and what not, but I assume tactics will actually be needed on higher difficulties. Also, I hope they avoid the whole "wave" approach that DA2 had. If so, this could very well end up being a great game.

Back
Top Bottom