Polygon - The Days of Owning Games Are Over

As long as I get to control the experience in the same way as I always did, I couldn't care less about ownership.

However, if we end up needing subscriptions for every single publisher because they all want their own thing, it's going to be quite painful.

This.

I don't need physical copies. By having games digitally only, at least my wife doesn't notive how many games I actually buy. ;)

But not being able to play a game anytime I want or having to pay for multiple providers making video gaming an expensive hobby would really be terrible.

Meh i hope this guy is only speaking for himself, I don't buy anywhere I don't own the game afterwards.
Exception being MMO's requiring a server.(No always on single player games like Diablo3 don't count)

I'm not worried though, I have no problems with pirates or piracy :p

By having games digitally only, at least my wife doesn't notive how many games I actually buy. ;)
You're just evil.

On the other hand wife, mother, brother, kids, neighbors, others… Not noticing…
You speak the absolute truth! :D

This.

I don't need physical copies. By having games digitally only, at least my wife doesn't notive how many games I actually buy. ;)

Hmmm but what if she checks your bank account/credit card statement or whatever you pay with ? :p

You're just evil.
Evil… what is evil? I just spare them the truth they can't handle…

Hmmm but what if she checks your bank account/credit card statement or whatever you pay with ? :p
Then she would wonder why I spent money on vaporized water. ;)

But actually she doesn't care about the money but about the time I spent in my gaming man cave. And rightfully so. :(

Bullshit ! This may be the new paradigm for the time being and for a while it'll remain as is, I won't deny it but taking for granted that such a ridiculous situation, where you're charged 60 bucks for pre-ordering a game file labeled Collector Edition w/o DRM ! on STEAM will last is a big mistake. History has proven nothing is remaining static and I'm confident even consumers stupidity is destined to end one fine day. You can mark my words.

I don't have a problem not owning the games as long as I don't feel like I don't own them.

Err, I don't think so. Can Spotify put the cover art of one of my vinyl albums in my hand to peruse at my leisure whilst listening to a record? Nope. Give me the unique fuzzy ambiance of my vinyl collection over online musical services like that and Itunes any day of the week thank you very much. :)

True, but a subscription service like Spotify also has significant advantages, such as being able to bring the music anywhere (work, bus, car, trips, friends, walking somewhere etc).

It also makes it much easier to explore new artists and genres - I'm certainly not going to buy a $20 album just to try something out, but in Spotify there's no price beyond the subscription fee, so once the fee is paid I might as well experiment. All of a sudden almost all the commercially available music in the world is at my finger tips. It's simply brilliant.

Well, except AC/DC. They're still being stubborn.

PS. I am specifically talking about subscription based services like Spotify, as that's comparable to the EA thing described in the article. ITunes is more like Steam, where you still have to pay for each individual thing you want to try out.

Back
Top Bottom