The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

OK, here's an obscure one for y'all. A bit droney, but still quite enjoyable. Supposedly the "head guy" is a major prick, but what can ya do.

"Places You Call Home" by Mean Red Spiders

I had forgotten I had several of their albunms, listened heavily about 5 years. Thanks!

I had forgotten I had several of their albunms, listened heavily about 5 years. Thanks!
"Discovered" them off one of the Losing Today samplers. It's a shame that magazine went to crap. I've got all 6 sampler discs and there's some really wonderful music on them, particularly the earlier ones. The "Test Tones" samplers from Clairecords are also quite good. I've got all 5 of them, plus the "Notes from Claire" sampler.

Been quite a while since I've spun those discs. Keep them carefully stored since I'm pretty sure they'd all be impossible to replace these days. Might have to give them a whirl and see if my tastes have changed any, or if there are some "forgotten favorites".

edit--Ooo, here's one. The ep was excellent. This was a very good song, but I'm not sure it was the best track.
"Where the Waves" by Midsummer

Last edited:
would love to discover more artists like Pascal Comelade that makes crazy music with Toy instruments.
My favorite video about him:
Pascal Comelade-Gegene

Discovering lots of new music in this thread :)

Atm I listen a lot these following artists and bands

Nostalghia
Alif Tree
Senopia
Gojira
Melissmell
Franco Battiato
Arno A newer song of him

And when I think of my ex-girlfriend I still love so much, I listen to my favorite song she made me discover of the great band Beirut (that she made me discover too with that same song) : La Llorona

then starts a ritual where next song is always Hurt from Johnny Cash thinking how I betrayed our dream of living toghether with an eternal love

Follows Is it Real from Cowboy Bebop OST, this is where I cry most of the time lost in thoughts about our crazy world

Then I take comfort with Basil Poledouris - Recovery.

And the ritual ends with Melissmell with this clip

My new boss introduced me to this today. He thought I might like it, and, well, you know - he's right. It's a traditional, and there are many, many versions of it, but I really like this one: Kaperfahrt.

Talking about Santiano (name of the band, and the other song on the same page):

The Killigans playing Santi Anno at Duffy's Tavern. I like this version even better. Same song, same band, and still like a punk song should be. ;)

A gazillion other versions, many of them good, can be found on YouTube.

Be warned, the melody is an addictive masterpiece. You'll never get it out of your head again. ;)

So why would anyone write a song about the Mexican general who won the Battle at the Alamo (Santa Anna) in the shanty genre? The lyrics here are no longer connected, but the original was.

Talking about Santiano (name of the band, and the other song on the same page):

The Killigans playing Santi Anno at Duffy's Tavern. I like this version even better. Same song, same band, and still like a punk song should be. ;)

A gazillion other versions, many of them good, can be found on YouTube.

Be warned, the melody is an addictive masterpiece. You'll never get it out of your head again. ;)

So why would anyone write a song about the Mexican general who won the Battle at the Alamo (Santa Anna) in the shanty genre? The lyrics here are no longer connected, but the original was.

This thread is amazing will take me long and cool time to dig it all and discover many great artists, I knew the song, but not as great interpretations of it :p

At HiddenX : thanks for remembering me that QOTSA existed ;) really great band

Now for my post

Discovering Krater then interacting with the great earthlings behind Fatshark made me want to discover a lot more about sweden culture and inhabitants, etc

Before I knew and loved only The Cardigans and was not even knowing they were swedish one of my favorite song is My Favourite Game

I listen and buy music from so many artists and bands that makes that perhaps I know more swedish ones, but here are the ones I discovered in my exploration and that I am digging to know more of them
Started first by typing swedish music in youtube ben seeing the results and stuff like this convinced me that that was not the way to proceed

But by listening to swedish onlines radios and last.fm radio stations I discovered lots of great artists and bands

Slagsmålsklubben - Svenska Tennis
Air France - No Way Down
Zeigeist – Humanitarianism
iamamiwhoami-sever

Not a swedish artist but I know her(not personally of course) from quite a long time and she comes from next to sweden: Norway
Mari Boine - Goaskinviellja / Eagle Brother (Oslo Opera House, 2009)
And I would love to discover more artists and bands having the same style

So many more swedish bands to share :D

Intense and interesting.

Maybe you'll like Portishead. They released a fantastic live CD ages ago.

Mari Boine - Goaskinviellja / Eagle Brother (Oslo Opera House, 2009) ->
haunting - very good!

similar:

Robert Plant & Allison Krauss - When The Leave Breaks

Robert Plant & The Band Of Joy - Silver Rider

Low - Monkey

Woah amazing stuff, knew some Robert Plant songs, but long time I didn't listen to his stuff and these songs with Allison Kraus (Woah ima in love :D ) and The Band Of Joy are really fitting to my mood right now while translating some texts
Ty for making me discover Low too, great band

Intense and interesting.

Maybe you'll like Portishead. They released a fantastic live CD ages ago.

Portishead oouuuuh yeah matey awesome stuff, I knew em even before they existed ;) , and the song you give as an example is my favorite one of them

Music sharing and conversations was one of our favorite thing with my ex-girlfriend, and with my new friend I made recently we do that often too, happy to have found this thread to do it more with cool people.
A bit overwhelmed with all the posts possibilities in this forum and so hard to resist the temptation to only post and stop translating rofl >>> rushes back to work

Motorpsycho has released a new album, this time with the help of a few jazz mucisians: "The Death Defying Unicorn". YAAAY!

Here's a 16 minutes piece "Through the veil", on Youtube split into part 1 and part 2

Did I mention I liked it?

pibbur who has yet to find a Motorpsycho album he didn't like and he has all of them except for their 20th anniversity album which they chose to release only on vinyl and who also likes Goaskinviellja and other things from Mari Boine

Not a swedish artist but I know her(not personally of course) from quite a long time and she comes from next to sweden: Norway
Mari Boine - Goaskinviellja / Eagle Brother (Oslo Opera House, 2009)
I really like her In the Hand of the Night (2006) album, this track in particular.

And I would love to discover more artists and bands having the same style
I haven´t heard much joik stuff besides Boine and from what I remember it was usually more new age-laced stuff that I liked, like Ulla Pirttijärvi or Vajas (yes, this is rather cheesy, haha).

Currently enjoying Ravel´s Daphnis et Chloé.
Lush soundscapes ftw.:)

Last edited:
Time for some crazy danes: "Lis er stille". Discovered them yesterday. Their music is quite fittingly described as alternative rock, post rock and prog rock.

Here's Epitome from their 2012 album: Nous.

Some of their songs are in (understandable) danish. I like when bands use their natural language, to me that's often a sign of quality.

pibbur who thinks they're fairly loud

Fighting a flu bug today, so was looking for something smooth that wasn't a lullaby. This did the trick. As is often the case, Emma's backing vocals are the hidden star.

"Fantasy" by Lush

Had Haydn in my CD player this morning. Nice music for having a breakfast. ;) Every once in a while I turn back towards this kind of music, although I still prefer Rondo Venziano. ;)

Fighting a flu bug today, so was looking for something smooth that wasn't a lullaby. This did the trick. As is often the case, Emma's backing vocals are the hidden star.

"Fantasy" by Lush

Nice!

The new band by Matt Bartram (Air Formation) called "You Walk Through Walls" is pretty awesome! Roll on new EP.

Since Alrik suggested Haydn - although I'm mostly into rock, I have a collection classical music as well. Mainly from the 20th century.

Here's Glagolitic Mass, part 2 and part 3, composed by Janacek in 1926.

pibbur who observes that said piece of music is over some time after the fat lady stops singing, since the only soloist in the final parts 7 and 8 is the organ.

OK, let's get good and obscure! These folks are even from Indianapolis. Don't think they ever put out a proper release, but they did land this tune on the prestigious "Splashed with Many a Speck" sampler.

"Belle Chasse" by Sunflower Conspiracy

Back
Top Bottom