The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

I decided to try the new Amazon MP3 store thing and grabbed Joni Mitchell's "Shine", her new one. It is just out this week, and is honestly her best stuff since the amazing jazz-flavored stuff of the 70's.

I have given myself over to this one completely the last few days ... there is some really amazing stuff here.

I have given myself over to this one completely the last few days ... there is some really amazing stuff here.

I can't seem to make it play for me without trying to download, but I'll watch for it on YouTube. Joni's jazz stuff is a little cerebral for me, but I love her vocal talent, range and quality.

(Thnx dte-will check it later)

I can't seem to make it play for me without trying to download, but I'll watch for it on YouTube. Joni's jazz stuff is a little cerebral for me, but I love her vocal talent, range and quality.

(Thnx dte-will check it later)

Try it at BN. Personally I love her late 70's stuff with Metheny / Jaco / Brecker ... but this latest one has some of those elements and plenty of her old (Court &) Spark ;)

Here's the 'Phantom of the Paradise' trailer 1 and trailer 2... just listening to my soundtrack CD :)...

Last edited:
So which one came first, that or Rocky Horror?

The Rocky Horror stage show came first, then the Phantom of the Paradise movie, then the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Three words: OH... MY... GOD :wow::faint:

Last edited:
Feeling relaxed tonight.. listening to some classical: http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/...3-6356121-1137416?ie=UTF8&refTagSuffix=dp_img

"The Lark Ascending" has gotta be one of the most beautiful classical pieces ever written. The sample here doesn't play enough to do it justice, as it gets so intense toward the middle.

Ah, Jabberwocky... my favorite piece by Vaughn Williams is the 'Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis'.
And did you know that Lloyd-Webber borrowed a tiny bit from Vaughn Williams' 'London Symphony' for his 'Phantom of the Opera'? When I heard the London Symphony for the first time, I was like 'Huh? Phantom?'...

@zakhal: nice video (with many spoilers)... Nightwish and Final Fantasy never fail to entertain me :).

Last edited:
As ever, I'm listening to the latest from Andre Rieu!!

one of my favourite tweaker (chris vrenna) tunes featuring the notable david sylvian
the 2nd tweaker album is far superior in my opinion as it also has a track with david slyvian, robert smith, and jennifer charles (one of the sultriest voices out there) from the elysian fields
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y55305sxK50

A little Concrete Blonde for me. I've loved this song for a long time. There's a verse in the middle that might offend the religious amongst us. I don't care for the video, but it's the quickest way I found to sample the whole song.

"Tomorrow Wendy" by Concrete Blonde

@Bart- that was actually a pretty good recreation of the music videos for all those songs. He does an excellent MC Hammer :)

Last edited:
Just came home from work and found the new Nightwish album "Dark Passion Play" waiting for me! I preordered the collector's edition, which comes with a second CD that has Orchestral versions of all the songs. I'm not actually listening to it right now - I'll put the head phones on and listen to it before I go to sleep so I can hear everything the clearest. Can't wait! If the songs are half as good as the CD packaging this must be an awesome album....

@ Zakhal: Ghost Love Score is my favorite Nightwish song ever, but of course that's before I listen to the brand new album...

@ Jaz: You're right, if that's the whole song I'm thinking of, it does sound a bit like Phantom of the Opera, which is also a very good soundtrack... and play for that matter. Saw it when I lived in New York. My favorite would have to be "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again." That'll send chills up your spine hearing it live!

Back
Top Bottom