The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Dream Theater's tenth studio album, Black Clouds & Silver linings, will be arriving on June 23rd. One track has already been released, and a video. The video version is about 3 minutes shorter than the album version.

A rite of passage, video

A rite of passage, album version

Sounds very good to me. I'm going to their Progressive Nation 09 concert in Oslo this autumn (where also Opeth will play).

Yay!

Something called

Moderation - by Beady Belle, apparently.

They just kept playing this on the radio, and I came to like it. This is just one of those tracks which I like even though in general it isn't my type of music. Can't get this one out of my head, actually.

Does anyone around here listen to hip-hop?

I have a few things on my iPod:
- Tribe Called Quest
- Black Sheep
- NWA
- Beasties
- LL Cool J
... James Brown? :D

Kostaz said:
Does anyone around here listen to hip-hop?
Sure. I have a lot of hiphop (and crossover) CDs from the 90s, used to listen to the stuff a lot more then... House of Pain, Onyx, Lune Toons, Alkaholics, Cypress Hill, Funkdoobiest, Tribe Called Quest, YBT...
Of artists who are still in business I like (mainly) Snoop Dog. He went down the funkadelic road which was - IMO - a great move :):

I have a few things on my iPod:
- Tribe Called Quest
- Black Sheep
- NWA
- Beasties
- LL Cool J
... James Brown? :D

I'm mostly into NWA and LL Cool J as TCQ's sound doesn't appeal to me,any recommended songs?
I really loled at the last one:lol:

Sure. I have a lot of hiphop (and crossover) CDs from the 90s, used to listen to the stuff a lot more then... House of Pain, Onyx, Lune Toons, Alkaholics, Cypress Hill, Funkdoobiest, Tribe Called Quest, YBT...
Of artists who are still in business I like (mainly) Snoop Dog. He went down the funkadelic road which was - IMO - a great move :):
Wow I curtainly didn't expect you to listen to hip hop;)You mention a lot of great groups.
Snoop was always a bit funky I didn't have a chance to listen to his latest work but his early albums are considered almost classics among hip hop fans.

Eminem....possibly one of the most overrated artist ever.... along with Kid Rock..
No love for the Detroit boys?Aren't you from Michigan?

I'm mostly into NWA and LL Cool J as TCQ's sound doesn't appeal to me,any recommended songs?
I really loled at the last one:lol:
All I have is NWA's Straight Outta Compton, and the title song is all that is left on my iPod. As for LL, just the single Mama Said Knock You Out.

No love for the Detroit boys?Aren't you from Michigan?
What does geography have to do with anything?

What does geography have to do with anything?
If JDR said just about Eminem I'd understand,Kid Rock isn't particularly famous(at least around here)both Eminem and Kid Rock are from Detroit.
Detroit is in Michigan,JDR is from Michigan and as all these things are connected it sounded strange to me.

Most people in Michigan don't understand how either of those two ever got so popular.
I take it you aren't exactly a rap fan right?

I take it you aren't exactly a rap fan right?

Well that's beside the point really. Even if I was, I probably wouldn't like Eminem. I notice that most serious rap fans don't seem to like his music in general. I think it's a very young crowd (teens) that account for the bulk of his album sales.

Well that's beside the point really. Even if I was, I probably wouldn't like Eminem. I notice that most serious rap fans don't seem to like his music in general.
Well Eminem is at least a decent MC and he's a great lyricist better than Jay-Z and some compare him to Nas.
Rakim himself admitted that Eminem is dope.
He tried to shock people and draw attention to him,Bush senior called him the most dangerous threat to America.But most important is the fact that he is W-H-I-T-E and that helped him in sales.
Eminem may be overrated as he is the most successful hip-hop artist ever but he is certainly skilled enough to be an important "artist" in the hip-hop industry.
I think it's a very young crowd (teens) that account for the bulk of his album sales.
Wow now you sounded like Bill O'Reilly,you don't want that do you?

I hope I don't sound like a Stan.

But most important is the fact that he is W-H-I-T-E and that helped him in sales.

You hit the nail right on the head.

Wow now you sounded like Bill O'Reilly,you don't want that do you?

I'm not a fan, but he does throw out some facts once in a while...

Jaz has the most eclectic taste in music of anyone I know. Renaissance folk to industrial, hip-hop to Daler (and I'll never forgive her for Daler).

The only person in this thread even close to that level of variety is DeepO.

Here's the website for Mike's stuff. They've got song streams there, while Amazon does not. Not something I'd buy, but it's pretty good stuff. Like Mike said, very atmospheric.

A couple of the songs really burn - but you don't get that in the samples. Cruel Attitude, in particular - is unlike any of his earlier stuff.

Whooooa. New stuff by Dream Theater.

That makes me a very happy panda!

21367-Panda-Celebrates-1st-Birthday_w.jpg

Back
Top Bottom