Things you don't need to know...

Such a thing would likely drive Joxer into a possibly dangerous rage.

This is not photoshopped Minecraft:

Santiago_Calatrava_Ysios_Bodega_13.jpg

It's realworld Ysios Winery located in Spain.
http://www.arcspace.com/features/santiago-calatrava/la-rioja-bodegas-ysios/

………………………

And these are not leaks from The Witcher 4:

rothenburg2.jpg

Rothenburg-Ob-Der-Tauber-Bayern_art.jpg

Awesome-Christmas-Markets-in-Europe-Reiterlesmarkt-Rothenburg-ob-der-Tauber-Germany.jpg

It's a real place, Rothenburg ob der Tauber, in Germany:
http://www.germanplaces.com/germany/rothenburg-ob-der-tauber.html

A warning to joxer: You don't want to read the following.

There's a new game for iOs, don't know if it's on Android: "Iron Maiden: Legacy of the Beast". You play as Eddie, and your ultimate task is to save the world. All "inspired by Iron Maidens's rich imagery and music"

Pibbur who doesn't think they'll get many new fans from this. Won't lose many, either. He, himself has 11 albums by them, somewhere in RAID space.

PS
The game inspired by Dream Theater's latest album, for the PC, Mac and mobile thingies, is on it's way, but delayed. We know a bit about your choice of characters: a vocalist, a guitarist, a player of keyboards, a drummer…. Doesn't seem to be a bass player in there. AFAIK mr. Myung hasn't said anything (about that).
DS

PS2
Who's next?
DS2

The whole thing is mathematically impossible assuming the child in the question is hers.
But language and logic are two different things.

So we may accept floatpoint results, then construct formulas where we get 5.25 for the child - this also means impossible logic as that would mean we know the child exists before it was even born - we're talkong about 6 years from now where the child will be 5.25 years old.
Formulas are easy btw, if the child is x, the mother y, then today it's (note that subtracted 6 years timeshift is just added to follow sentences, it's not needed):
x-6 = 21+ y-6
x = 5*y

However if we'll go Hitchiker's Guide Through Galaxy mode and abandon all logic… If we take 5.25 as done deal and that's it… We get the answer to the puzzle question:
Today is 6 years before future point where mother will be 5 times old as her child, means according to formula result the child is on this very day 5.25-6=-0.75 years old.
A year has 12 months.
12*(-.75)=-9.
Means today the child is 9 months "unold". Dunno what would be the word with a negative number. :D

Where's the father? In bed having sex with the mother. Or at kitchen table. Or on stairs. Or in the woods. Or in public toilet for all we care.
Where is the wrong question, the question should have been what's father doing. ;)
We know what's he doing because of 9 months long pregnancy that will follow.

Last edited:
Yep, the the answer -3/4. Which is not mathematically impossible, -3/4 year is -9 moths, 9 months before birth, that is at the time of conception, so the child is just about to be conceived, and thus the father is in bed with the mother. That's the answer.

There are several issues here, if we want to "destroy" the joke

1. Coitus doesn't last that long, the father could be anywhere most of the day.
  2. The father doesn't need to be there at all, the sperm could come from a donor.
  3. Actually pregnancy is (on the average) 8 1/2 months long. For practical purposes we count the months from the first day of the last menstruation, which is about 14 days before conception. So he's a bit early.
  4. Only 5% of pregnant women give birth precisely at 9 months, anyway.
  5. ...

Ok, here's another, mathematically more sound joke (NB! I'm not making fun about overweight people - I was one of them myself):

""Your mom's so fat, she has a proper subgroup isomorphic to herself "

pibbur who may or may not explain the joke.

You were?

Form my experience it all comes to this:
Less junkfood = less weight.

Forget gym, jogging, cycling, whatnot. Don't believe in this and that diet. Just avoid junkfood and the "problem" will solve itself.

yo-mama-is-so-fat-when-she-walked-by-the-tv-i-missed-3-episodes.jpg

You were?

Form my experience it all comes to this:
Less junkfood = less weight.

Forget gym, jogging, cycling, whatnot. Don't believe in this and that diet. Just avoid junkfood and the "problem" will solve itself.
I've almost completely stopped eating junk food and snacks. But in my experience exercise (I've increased the dose significantly) also helps. One side effect of doing my exercise in the evening is that I fall asleep more easily, and that is important because one of the medicines I take in the evening increases my appetite. So it's best if I fall asleep before that effect sets in.

pibbur who is very happy with the results so far, still going down.

A simplified explanation of the mother joke: "Your mom's so fat, she has a proper subgroup isomorphic to herself "

We're in the realm of set theory.

Let S be a set, and Su a subgroup (hereafter called a subset) of S. This means that every element of Su is also in S. By this definition S is a subset of itself. Su is a proper subset of S if S is not a subset of Su. This means that there is at least one element in S that is not represented i Su. {'a','b','c'} (a set of characters) is a subset of {'a','b','c'}. {'a','b'} is a proper subset of {'a','b','c'}. {'a','b','d'} is not a subset of {'a','b','c'} since 'd' is missing in {'a','b','c'}.

Two sets are said to be isomorphic if we can pair each element of one set with each element in the other. For finite sets this means that the number of elements in the two sets are equal. The elements themselves need to be equal. {'a','b','c'} is isomorphic with {'a','b','c'}, but also with {'d','e','f'}. {'a','b'} is not isomorphic with {'a','b','c'}.

Let's go back to Su and S, and let's assume that the sets are finite (they have a finite number of elements). These sets can not be isomorphic, since there is at least one more element in S.

But what if we let the two sets be infinite? Consider the set N={1,2,3….}, the set of natural numbers. And let the set N10={10,20,30,…}, the natural numbers multiplied by 10. Both sets are inifite and N10 is clearly a proper subset of N. Now let's pair elements between the two sets. We'll do this by mapping 10 to 1, 20 to 2, 30 to 3… This way we can map every element in N10 with an element in N and vice versa, since both sets are infinite. So the two sets are indeed isomorphic. Infinite sets are the only sets for which a set and a proper subset can be isomorphic.

This means that the mother is infinitely large (which of course is not possible in the real world, but we can use it as an insult). :D

pibbur who at each moment in time contains a finite number of bones, hearts, kidneys, cells, protein molecules, atoms, quarks, neutrinos… And of course, the set of pibburs is {pibbur}.

DS. The explanation above implies that the sets are countable. Natural numbers, integers and rational numbers (integers, fractions) are countable. However, the set of real numbers (which contains integers, fractions, and numbers like the square root of 2, Pi, e…) are not. Thus we can say that one infinity (uncountable) is larger than another (countable). DS.

Last edited:
Sigh......, I remember when that was Grade 9 maths, now it's probably part of a university course!! :)

I think that part of it is included at the corresponding level over here. Superficial, and not very rigorous mathematics. Profound understanding is left to the universities.

Pibbur who lacks a precise and rigorous definition of pibbur and {pibbur} but who finds mathematics beautiful and great fun.

A brain teaser that it seems children solve more easily than adults.

30DE4F8B00000578-0-image-a-1_1454577281460.jpg

Which way is the bus travelling?

According to National Geographic (according to Daily Mail and other news media), 80% of children < 10 years get it. Adults scored significantly less.

A quote from the article (which btw also provides the answer): "Research from University College London and Birkbeck, University of London has found that children under 12 perceive visual information differently from adults."

Fascinating.

Pibbur

I think that's a bit faulty as a logic puzzle. The bus could be stationary, or reversing - the clue does not necessarily lead to the assumed answer. A valid response would be, there is no way of knowing. A better question would be, "which end is the front of the bus?", but even then it's more of a trivia question.

Your points are of course valid.

I don't know the exact question asked, it could very well be "which end is the front end", or the teaser assumes that the question is understood as, without saying it explicitely, "which direction does the bus travel in when going forward".

But the (un)interesting part is how children seem to arrive at the intended conclusion more easily than adults, and the reasons for that.

I think children do see things differently, another indication of that can be seen in their drawings. Typically, around the age of 2 and a couple of years after, they tend to draw people without bodies, but with armes and feet connected directly to the head. I don't know the correct English term, in Norwegian we call it "hodefotinger" which roughly translate to "headfooters".

hodefoting.png

This is actually something that interests me, the general question being different ways of seeing and visually representing the world around us. I may write more about it later.

pibbur

Last edited:
Yes, it makes more sense as a means to assessing styles of thinking, and it's interesting to look at how children think differently. But I think they present it in a misleading way by saying that children "score higher" in this test; that children's minds are more likely to solve this problem. I would give the highest mark to the child that said, "We cannot infer the direction of travel from the diagram."

Whatever you conclude from all of that, just please don't go Spielberg and IQ of 8734568763873 children.

Even if children don't care about possibility to drive backwards while "solving the puzzle", at least half of world children would fail the asker's test because bus doors are not always on the same side (depends if driving has to be done on left or on right side in a certain country).
I'm saying "what's the front side" is not trivia question unless a child lives in the same country as a person who asks it. ;)

They took left/right side driving into account.

pibbur who thinks getting a driver's license must be easy, since you can drive on the wrong side of the road and still pass.

Taken from:
http://www.cracked.com/article_24074_5-vacations-that-went-impossibly-wrong_p2.html

Australian man and well-meaning friend Chris V. Parnell made a big mistake in 1985. He invited a friend on a family vacation to Bali, Indonesia. This was a mistake because said friend was named "Doggie," and it is rare that any story that starts with "me and my friend Doggie" ends with "did some fine charity work and went to bed early."

Yes, true to form, Doggie was secretly smuggling large amounts of hashish, and Indonesia's usual punishment for foreign drug smugglers is death by firing squad. Unfortunately, a police officer mixed up whose fingerprints were whose, and Chris was stuck with the charges instead. Doggie was released and immediately hopped on the first flight to somewhere that wasn't Indonesia. "Who would do something like that to a friend?" you wonder. Doggie. Doggie would do something like that. Don't invite Doggie to things.

Chris faked insanity by befriending the cockroaches inhabiting his jail cell, and got moved to a mental hospital. He then attempted to escape by running across the roof, but the roof collapsed under his feet, landing him in the ward for the criminally insane, where crazed killers chained to the walls tried to pull him apart. Thankfully, he was rescued … and sentenced to life without parole in the infamously brutal Kerobokan Prison.

Chris managed to escape again and got his hands on a passport, but it was a woman's, so he had to cross-dress. He was almost instantly recognized … by an off-duty Kerobokan prison guard. This would be a hilarious series of unfortunate events, if not for all the horrible torture. Oh yeah -- he was horribly tortured for each escape attempt. Which is particularly rough, since Chris unsuccessfully tried to escape three more times.

Years later, Chris was repeatedly stabbed in his sleep by a gang and declared dead. His body was transported to the morgue, where it lay for six hours before someone realized he was alive. The attack cost Chris his left eye, spleen, and part of a lung. Oh, and the life-saving blood transfusion he got at the hospital infected him with hepatitis A, B, and C …

And then he suffered a stroke.

Eventually, Amnesty International threatened to take Indonesia to the World Court to get Chris released, and it actually worked! After 11 years in prison, Chris went home and lived happily ever after. Kidding! He went home and was diagnosed with liver cancer.

Chris survived the cancer, because like hell was he going through all that just to come home and die. He even wrote a book about the experience.

Apparently the book is not a Hollywood movie material but him talking about real himself. I'm buying that book.

Back
Top Bottom