Fallout Online - Bethesda May Sue

woges

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Law shenanigans about to start between Interplay & Bethesda over FOOL licence.
Financial papers from Interplay suggest that Bethesda might sue the struggling publisher over its planned Fallout MMO.
Interplay retained the rights to make online games based on Fallout when it sold the rest of the rights to Bethesda back in 2004. However, it seems there were certain conditions involved in this - conditions which Bethesda claims have not been met.
According to the Securities and Exchange Commission filing (spotted by Fallout fansite No Mutants Allowed), Bethesda reckons Interplay is in breach of their agreement because it had not commenced "full scale development" of the Fallout MMO by April 4 2009, and has not secured enough funding for the game. Interplay, naturally, disagrees.
"Interplay recently received notice that Bethesda Softworks, LLC ("Bethesda") intends to terminate the trademark license agreement between Bethesda and Interplay which was entered into April 4, 2007 for the development of Fallout MMOG," reads the filing.
"Despite the fact that no formal action is currently pending, Bethesda claims that Interplay is in breach of the trademark license agreement for failure to commence full scale development of same by April 4, 2009 and to secure certain funding for the MMOG. Interplay adamantly disputes these claims... If Bethesda ultimately prevails and cancels the trademark license agreement, Interplay would lose its license back of the Fallout MMOG."
More information.

Alas poor Interplay. I think it's time for the final Descent.

Guess they do not subscribe to the live and let live maxim.

Personally I hope Bethesda fails in this and am a bit disappointed about their business ethics, in particular at a time like this when companies struggle to keep afloat.

Big thumbs down from me :thumbsdown:

Wasn't Bethesda's last kick in the balls to true fallout fans enough of an insult? They really are trying to destroy this IP for the real fans.

Wasn't Bethesda's last kick in the balls to true fallout fans enough of an insult? They really are trying to destroy this IP for the real fans.
"I'm a more real fan than you"
"No, I'm a more real fan than you!"
"No! I'm a more real fan"...

Because interplay (in its present form) is such a great keeper of the interests of these fans? Give me a break.

I don't sympathise with Bethesda much, but Interplay spelled their own doom long ago. I wonder how this will play out.

I have little sympathy for either company and I would also prefer if no Fallout MMO was made.

I just don't see how viable Fallout Online can be. It's good for single player experience, but online? not so sure. For one thing, there can't be any VATS as we know it, as the target (in PvP) will not wait for you to decide what part to shoot. So, it'd be almost a pure shooter... sort of like Tabula Rasa?

I just don't see how viable Fallout Online can be. It's good for single player experience, but online? not so sure. For one thing, there can't be any VATS as we know it, as the target (in PvP) will not wait for you to decide what part to shoot. So, it'd be almost a pure shooter... sort of like Tabula Rasa?
Depends whether you think the Fallout setting has anything going for it, or whether a strict turn-based/VATS system is what Fallout is only about.

Well, Herve/Interplay signed the agreement stipulating they would have funding in place in 2 years time. They failed to get funding; hence, the game fails to get made. I don't see the problem here.

Bethesda is simply adhering to a signed agreement with Interplay. Also, they obviously want the rights to create a Fallout Online property themselves. Although I'm not crazy about the idea of a Bethesda-made Fallout Online--as I've always felt that the creative richness and intricacies of the FO world was a bad match for the broad-stroke style RPG-making that is typical of Bethesda--retaining the rights to Fallout Online is a smart business decision.

Depends whether you think the Fallout setting has anything going for it, or whether a strict turn-based/VATS system is what Fallout is only about.

Fallout Brotherhood of Steel was in the Fallout setting, yet it sucked. Quake in a post-apocalyptic US is still Quake.
What I mean is, in a futuristic MMO you have a lot of stuff to do, space travel, infinite gadgets (great for crafting), many races, classes, etc. In a fantasy MMO you have races, classes, magic, all facilitating a very varied and complex universe to play in. It seems to me that Fallout Online wouldn't have much. I just think the setting is too restrictive to make it a MMO.

I'm not sure I'd agree. I think the Fallout universe has plenty of things in it to give a varied and complex universe to play in. Classes, skills, crafting etc. are simply gameplay mechanics, and not particularly mandated by the Fallout setting.

I think the burden will be on Bethsoft. What is the actual wording of the contract? "Full scale development" and "fully funded" are vague and relative terms. If you got one guy being paid a dollar on it they could technically be meeting their obligations of the contract, but it would depend on the judge.

"Full scale development" and "fully funded" are vague and relative terms. ...but it would depend on the judge.
It doesn't sound that complicated to me, but it's all just a matter of opinion, I suppose. Interplay might want to hire William Shatner to represent them (They're in Califonia, after all).

I liked Bethesda better before it became so successful that it didn't have to bother to be nice anymore. What's next on its imperial agenda, I wonder?

I don't have allot of hope for a good Fallout MMO, but I'd like to to see what Interplay can come up with. If Bethesda wants to do an MMO they can milk the Elder Scrolls, again. I'm not sure how that will work out either - getting the fans or a third party to fix an MMO seems... impossible.

Some of you guys are nuts. Interplay couldn't program their way out of a wet paper bag and deserve no sympathy. Interplay isn't interested in the Fallout heritage - Herve Caen just wants to milk more money out of a long dead company.

Seriously? You're upset that Bethsoft is enforcing their contract with the undead of game development? Really?

Like if Bethesda also don't want make big money... first. :rolleyes: I didn't knew some was so naive.

You can make an MMO out of any setting.

Personally, I prefer expansive settings and not restricted settings. But that's me - and I see no reason why a Fallout MMO couldn't work if designed properly.

That said, you automatically limit your potential audience when you choose a setting that's as exclusive as Fallout.

I can see it now...millions of players on line, all roaming around together in a world where only handfuls of people remain. It's brilliant!

Back
Top Bottom