Exp:Viking Expeditions: Conquistador - Sequel and Sale

Expeditions: Viking
Here's hoping they do like in the first game, where a playable character and quests were locked-out for those who didn't back the game on Kickstarter, above a certain amount. :roll:

Always a great idea to lock those unaware of a crowdfunding campaign, or unable to back, out of experiencing such significant piece of content.
People talk about major publishers, and practices such as pre-order DLC, or retailer exclusive content (and rightfully so, since these are appalling practices), but some "indies" are doing a great job going in a similar direction, by making content exclusive to crowdfunding campaigns. Some have a bit of decency, and make the content minor/cosmetic. And then there are games like Expeditions: Conquistador, which was one of the worse offenders.

Overreact much?

I don't back games but I appreciate that some people do, since some of these games would never even exist if it weren't for backers, so it seems a bit silly to get upset when some developer decides to reward the people who enabled them to make a game, and/or perhaps fulfill a dream of making a particular game.

I wish there were other worthy ways of rewarding backers but to me, if I were a backer, I'd rather get a significant reward than some trivial fluff like a special skin, art book, making of video, or other useless fluff.

Nothing about the backer rewards for Expeditions take away from the fact that it's a really fun and well done game.

It's a very good game, and I never felt like I was missing something without the backer reward. There's more than enough of recruitable characters, none of them has a lot of story/dialogue, and you can't have all of them on a single playthrough anyway. Missing one character is really not an issue. Buy the game, you'll like it.

awesome game! good to hear they're making another one

Gonna say a few things:

1. Any type of game related content should be available for a fee to everyone (that means pre-orders bonus items/DLC, funding items, collector edition items/DLC's)

2. You can restrict access to: Making of documentaries, soundtracks, artbooks, wallpapers, guides, world encyclopedias and other similar things (non-game stuff)

Allow to everyone to have the same game experience. Offer something different to people that pre-order or back your games. Or you could give to backers and early adopters their stuff for free and everyone else should pay for it, adding some extra revenue for the company, allowing it to get more money from various merchandise.

Overreact much?

I don't back games but I appreciate that some people do, since some of these games would never even exist if it weren't for backers, so it seems a bit silly to get upset when some developer decides to reward the people who enabled them to make a game, and/or perhaps fulfill a dream of making a particular game.

I wish there were other worthy ways of rewarding backers but to me, if I were a backer, I'd rather get a significant reward than some trivial fluff like a special skin, art book, making of video, or other useless fluff.

Nothing about the backer rewards for Expeditions take away from the fact that it's a really fun and well done game.

Maybe we could have done it differently, maybe doing it differently would have meant we wouldn't have gotten funded, but that is all speculation and hindsight now. The only certainty is that without the backers (and perhaps the Esteban reward to coax them to spend more than 15 bucks) we wouldn't have had a game in the first place. Not to mention the domino effect of building our studio and now being at the stage of starting the development our third game and thus even having this discussion here with you.

So we happily accept these criticisms and would like those of you who are still cranked by Esteban's recruitment reward to know that there are no plans for exclusive content in Viking.

So when can i preorder this thing?

Personally I think a couple of months to half a year, but there are games out there that allow you to pre-order a year in advance.
Anyway, I also think you need something to convince potential buyers. A good PR machine helps too :)

good to hear theyre making a sequel to conquistador

Back
Top Bottom