The TV Series discussion thread

I just heard from a source that Counterpart was also cancelled, or will be later this week. The person I spoke with said it might be offered to other networks, but Starz is done with it. That is awful news, but not terribly surprising, they really didn't advertise it at all, and gave very limited support while it was one. Bad news for viewers, but maybe the show could be rescued.

BBC did something strange, for whatever reason instead of just continuing The Missing with a third season, they've kept the main duo (Karyo, Hille) and possibly more cast, renamed the show and marked it as spinoff Baptiste.

Anyone from UK who knows something more about this move?
I'll watch it ofc, but it's… Rather confusing.

Nearing the end of Voyager S6 - and it's getting increasingly experimental. This is much like TNG was near the end of its run.

I find that both good and bad. Most of the recent episodes have been middling at best, but - on the other hand - I enjoy the interplay between the characters much more than I did in the beginning.

It's such a strange feeling liking Janeway and rooting for her :)

Still, at this point - it's more like a struggle to finish it than it's being invested. Probably has to do with all the things going on in my life right now (having a company, buying a house, developing a game, etc.) - but I'm not sure I would have loved it regardless.

Binged The Umbrella Academy which is Netflix' adaptation of Eisner winner series of graphic novels from Dark Horse.

Won't preach much. Ignore silly script/exectution mess like fastened seatbelt after space displacement and concentrate only on actors, you'll get what this show is really about: tons of fun. The cast is absolutely awsome. Each character feels like the role was written for that very actor or actress - and some weren't even born when the comic was released in the first place (okay I'm exaggerating, but still).

Don't feel pressurized to watch it immediately, it has an enormous cliffhanger at the end thus if you don't have time for 10 episodes season one, wait for the next year. If you do have time, ignore stupid mainstream like yet another walking dead stallthemtodeath season and give this one a chance.

Trailer:

Last edited:
What's the general opinion on True Detective season 3 up to this point? Is it still holding up well?

With next week being the season finale, I was going to start binge watching it.

Just finished Netflix's Russian Doll. While it doesn't look like it, its kind of a Woody Allen movie mixed with Black Mirror using Ground Hog Day as a template. But it is so much more. The comedy has an existential feel to it like the TV show, The Good Place, probably because Amy Poehler is producer of both. There is only 8 episodes and they are around 25 min each so a binge nite would be equivalent to a long movie.

There appears to be a definitive resolution to the series so I just gotta give this show a big thumps up.

I enjoyed getting in early on Bird box mainly because it was so filled with many memes, I really enjoyed Russian Doll because it was so good.

oh... and the female protagonist is a game designer.

What's the general opinion on True Detective season 3 up to this point? Is it still holding up well?

With next week being the season finale, I was going to start binge watching it.

I have no idea of the general opinion.

So far, in my opinion - it's good but not much more than that. It's a very character-driven show like always, and that's the primary appeal.

It's a little more lowkey and subtle than the previous two seasons - so that's going to be a very subjective thing if you like it or not.

The two main actors are fantastic, though - and I think I like them as much as those in Season 1 - though they're not Rust-level flamboyant. As much as I loved Rust, he was clearly not a terribly plausible human being.

In this case, I find both characters more human and more relatable. Probably more boring, I guess - but I'm a sucker for strong acting and plausible characters.

Just finished Netflix's Russian Doll. While it doesn't look like it, its kind of a Woody Allen movie mixed with Black Mirror using Ground Hog Day as a template. But it is so much more.
Thanks for mentioning this one! I have read a review in a local newspaper and already decided to give this one a go.

I am watching ‘Sex Education’. Just one more episode to go. A British series. Netflix.
First episode was a bit childish, the typical highschool humour, but as the series progressed it got better. It is about a young guy giving sex therapy to his ignorant fellow students because his mother is a professional sex therapist (which he feels ashamed of) which makes him an expert.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7767422/

I haven't watched the episode of True Detective from last night, but the episodes that I have watched have been good and well worth watching. Yeah it moves a bit slowly at times, but overall the story and acting are pretty good.

I did watch the finale of the best show currently on the air, Counterpart. I keep hoping another company will pick this one up, I mean, it seems made for Amazon, they even have the whole "Prime" thing already built into it! I guess like they say, perhaps only the good die young.

Lately I find myself not watching any TV shows. Don't know why but many don't interest me anymore. Think I'l try re-watching Vikings and The Last Kingdom.

Hopefully the final season of GoT starts soon as I want to finish that series.

For GoT you need almost two months more of wait.
What exact kind of show you need? I might be able to pull out from my sleeve something trendfollowers ignored because "it ain't no mainstream". ;)

About those two shows you mentioned, I refused to touch both.

Russian Doll - pretty cool so far (3 episodes in), main actor is great.

Umbrella Academy - I like the actors but its a generic plot and the usual characters and whatnot you expect in a series like this. Might get better (2 episodes in)

For GoT you need almost two months more of wait.
What exact kind of show you need? I might be able to pull out from my sleeve something trendfollowers ignored because "it ain't no mainstream". ;)

About those two shows you mentioned, I refused to touch both.

I was watching a show a few years back called colony that I lost interest in. It was a unique take on the alien's invaded and won quietly, but the show was cancelled.

Maybe I should watch The Orville season one as I like Scfi. I used to love watching Lethal Weapon but since Riggs was killed off it's not the same show anymore.

I'll probably end up watching more Korean Drama's instead.

I think it was me who wrote Colony got cancelled here. ;)
A shame, the show did have potential.

The Orville is a must. Go for it immediately.

Lethal Weapon I've refused to watch. Dead horse needs no new beating.

More Korean drama is problematic for me to suggest. I don't care about romances and 99% of their shows are about that. Sometimes they do it great, but most of times it gets unbearable to me.
Several titles that don't have romances in the first plan I've already (I think) mentioned in previous posts of this thread.
But I do know that I didn't mention Chief Kim before. Almost no romance and tons of comedy. Give it a shot.

@joxer forgot to say I'm more into Action, Scfy, and fantasy tv shows.

My last fantasy show I finished was The Shannara Chronicles. It was cancelled.

Killjoys was my last ScFy show I watched. Don't know if it's still being aired.

The Shannara Chronicles - neverheard.
Killjoys isn't cancelled and will continue. I hate that show as it's Hollywood's blueprint - cute people are good ones and they fight against noncute people who are bad ones only because they're not cute.

Action plus suggested syfy but it's fantasy actually as has no merit in science - go for The 100. Cheesy it is, trashy of epic proportions with swiss cheese amount of plotholes, but it's also a guilty pleasure.

Action with syfy but no fantasy: Future Man with oddbal of the last episode of the second season that feels like ME3 trash ending so hopefully the third season will redeem it.

Action with fantasy and no syfy: Into the Badlands - ongoing season is it's last and is on pause, will continue at later date.

A show that combines all three: action, scifi and fantasy, depending on each episode (standalones) is Metal Hurlant Chronicles. Some episodes are brilliant, some suck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the links @joxer;.

I watched The 100 when it first aired on TV can't believe its still being aired. Future Man looks interesting, and I thought Into the Badlands was canceled this week?

Have any superhero shows on the CW got better as I stopped watching them?

1. Green Arrow
  2. Flash
  3. Legends Of Tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom