Blackguards - Series 90% Off

Liked the first game but hated the sequel.

First game imho was ok (7.0) and the sequel a little worse (6.5).

For 2€ it's a no-brainer!

I finished the first one, never touched the second game. From a certain point on (when I was playing the first Blackguards), I was just praying for it to end at once.

I would agree with others in this thread, the first game is incredibly good, the second a bit less. For that price, it's well worth acquiring both, in my opinion. These are games that I've already played and replayed, and will most likely be playing again in the future.

Both are excellent games with superb quality content and top-notch writing you rarely see nowadays!

Both great games. Despite what other posters are explaining about their personal experience, I honestly was enthralled by the story of the protagonist in the second game, her inner turmoil and the struggle to make the most of her desperate circumstances. At 10% its regular price this is a steal, I wish I hadn't played these games so I could discover them now.

I would agree with others in this thread, the first game is incredibly good, the second a bit less. For that price, it's well worth acquiring both, in my opinion. These are games that I've already played and replayed, and will most likely be playing again in the future.

Same here, played the first one twice now and will likely do so again one day. If there's anyone on this site who likes fantasy + companions in a good tight story with meaningful and varied character development systems and hasn't either heard of this game or forgotten about it, then this is one of the true gems of the modern era.

While the second one was ok and a fun game, it kinda took the series a weird route & the series petered out as a result, which I think is a huge shame, would have liked more from this version of The Dark Eye system. Probably my favourite Dark Eye based game to date.

I finished the first one, never touched the second game. From a certain point on (when I was playing the first Blackguards), I was just praying for it to end at once.

Yes, it wore me out as well. Too much tactical combat; not enough role-playing.

I enjoyed Blackguards but never finished it. Some of the difficulty spikes were brutal. I heard they softened the difficulty later with a patch.

I played through the first one twice, once while in early access and then after release.

Enjoyed it but got burnt out and never played the second one.

I had fun with both. The Dark Eye systems takes a bit to get used to, if you come from D&D but it's not rocket science.

The 2nd game sort of lives or dies based on your feelings towards the set protagonist, just like with many other games that have a fixed main character. I thought she was brilliantly done, so I liked it. I agree with @henriquejr;, though, that for me at least both games were a little too long for their own good. For me this was due to many of the later levels have a fixed ideal strategy that was almost necessary to finish them, which gave the end game a very puzzle oriented feel.

In my opinion (and I only played the first), the whole game had too much of a puzzle feel. Every fight was too scripted, too planned: Here is the spot where you pull the rope to make the chandelier fall, here are the tables to flip over for cover when those guards charge, etc. It all felt too contrived for me.

Yes, it wore me out as well. Too much tactical combat; not enough role-playing.

The ironic thing here is that the sequel had a lot more role-playing and much less linearity, but, as you can tell, the mass consensus is that the linearity version was much more widely enjoyed with some even hating the sequel while really enjoying the first. Which to me is just further evidence that 'choosing your path' isn't as big a deal as some extremely vocal people pretend it is.

Choosing path is a big deal when done well.
When done pathetic, it's better to cut it out of the game prior to release.

Linearity too. Big deal if done well. Done as dull experience can only get off my property.

Designes can be awsome, mediocre or criminal. But there is no design style better than another - it's the designer, in this case developer, who makes it big deal if knows how.

You could say the same exact thing about combat, and yet here is a game which hand crafted to the finest detail lots and lots of perfectly designed combat & people are actually bitching about it...

Look, to me any kind of combat is equally good. What I'll never understand from some people is obsession with specific combat execution.

It's like being obsessed with a chainsaw not noticing anything that surrounds it. A simple tool. A tool you turn on, use a bit then turn off. Oh, it's so fascinating.

Well I don't care. Gimme a world where I can have fun with whatever even if it's combatless and I'm in. Fun. Not work. Not second job. Not repetition and not grinding. Not this:

The ironic thing here is that the sequel had a lot more role-playing and much less linearity, but, as you can tell, the mass consensus is that the linearity version was much more widely enjoyed with some even hating the sequel while really enjoying the first. Which to me is just further evidence that 'choosing your path' isn't as big a deal as some extremely vocal people pretend it is.

I haven't tried the second yet since I was still working my way through the first. It sounds like I should at least give it a whirl.

Back
Top Bottom