Last game you finished, tell us about it

Of course I didn't finish it but I've played Civilization VI the past weeks. Got it for 15 €.
For me the old formula still works. My sleeping hours are low because every night I need to play "just one more turn".

A weak point is the weak AI. On medium difficulties the game is too easy, on higher difficulties the Ai just "cheats" by getting insane boni.

Of course I didn't finish it but I've played Civilization VI the past weeks. Got it for 15 €.
For me the old formula still works. My sleeping hours are low because every night I need to play "just one more turn".

A weak point is the weak AI. On medium difficulties the game is too easy, on higher difficulties the Ai just "cheats" by getting insane boni.
Yes I stopped playing civ 6 because of that. I find civ 5 superior in that element but they always had similar issues.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I never finish games….I've played over 200 hours of No Man's Sky, but I typically restart once I reach the Anomaly. I enjoy the first parts of games way more than making it to the bitter end. I really don't care about finding Artemis or joining the Atlas or whatever. I just want to explore the various planets and loot them :) I also enjoy riding all the various beasties. My favorite so far was a a walking pineapple.

NMS does not have a classic ending. You can only reset the universe but the game doesn't really end there. You can't "finish" it. ;)
Unless there is a fixed number of universe resets, but so far noone reached that point - if it exists.

btw:
https://www.nerfnow.com/comic/2699
4147.png

Let me go straight to the point and say it to you guys: Don't make my mistake and buy Dell shit.

Here are the juicy details: This is my 2nd Dell machine. The 1st run fine and honestly, it still works but it's 5 years old. Time for upgrades, right?
The 2nd machine was supposed to be the successor of the 1st one. Same tier, same price tag. Basically, the 2019 version of my 2014 machine.
From outside the box, I noticed something was odd… the machine was not faster than my old one and it all went downhill from there.
Since I use the same apps it's not hard for me to see the machine performance was subpar and here is the crux of the issue: UNLESS THE MACHINE IS STRAIGHT UP NOT WORKING THEY'LL NOT FIX IT.
They'll spin you with remote assistance, phone calls, emails, etc, etc but the result is you'll be stuck with a piece of crap unless the piece of crap turns into a brick and then, and just then, they'll send someone to repair it.
Imagine having a car who you can only drive at 10 miles per hour, that's pretty much what I have but HEY… it moves, right?

Well, outside suing than for not providing assistance I decided I'll just do what I should have done ages ago and learn how to build and repair a machine myself, starting by using my old one has a guinea pig.

And talking about suing, I'm going to use this space to tell all the tortuous process I'm facing with this machine because I can and it's truth. I don't expect them to do anything but I want to warn other consumers about how juicy is "The Dell Experience".
I know you love Dell, but horror stories similar to the one above I've been telling people for years.
Buy anything. Just not Dell. :p

Dell has a great deal on their warranty if you buy thousands of them. I don't own one as my personal desktop. Dell is a corporate preference. I have an IBUY Power Ranger or some silly name like that. CyberPower maybe. Dunno. Slept since then.

Yeah, I never complete a game but I wanted to post about NMS :) It's mega fun for an explorer/loot hound like myself. I like the tiered loot for your weapons and armor too. You start with C class then move up to B, A, and finally S class. That's cool.

My favortist things are converting larval cores and salvage data into nanites for upgrades. Since I explore so much, I generally have dozens of these things when I go up to the space station. I just convert all that stuff into nanites before heading up for a shopping trip.

I also like the keyword game for getting free stuff from the aliens. Geks like trade/friend related words, korvax like techie words and vikings like warrior/honor related words...most of the time.

I know you love Dell, but horror stories similar to the one above I've been telling people for years.
Buy anything. Just not Dell. :p

I have owned more than 20 Dell computers through the years (almost all laptops, only 1 desktop I recall in ~1997) and have only had TWO problems:
- I bought an Inspiron they were trying to position as a ‘mid-range gaming’ system in the early 2000s ... and it was really pokey in general. Replaced it the next year.
- Bought my wife a cheap Inspiron last year that is ... well, also slow. She uses it occasionally but mostly uses the Samsung Chromebook Pro I also got her last year.

My PC gaming laptop right now is a Dell G7 15 that is less than a year old, was affordable with solid specs and plays everything with ‘high’ settings. This came after several years using the Alienware 13 series (I had the first and third revisions) very happily. (Wish they still made those tiny systems!)

I have heard issues with Dell through the years as well as people praising them, but have never personally experienced problems. So I am not dismissing the claims, but the problems are certainly not ubiquitous as you imply.

To me Dell provides average systems with average performance for slightly higher than average price. Again, only talking laptops here - if I wanted a desktop I would go much more ‘DIY’ to get the value/performance.

I work on a Dell laptop. The mainboard exploded in front of my eyes. I'm serious.
They did fix it (warranty) but the stupid piece of is now having problems with bitlocker, I guess TPM chip farted. From the first day I was forced to use it, the junk simply refuses to work normally, it seems designed to invent some new problems weekly.
I wanted to post about NMS It's mega fun for an explorer/loot hound like myself.
When released, the game sucked. But they continued to add content and turned it into a mustplay game.
I did make a thread on how to pwn certain stuff in it, not sure if it's still relevant. ;)
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42681

HEYYYYYYYYY

I liked No Mans Sky out of the box. I had no expectations so I did not endure the disappointment that some of the original fanboys were suffering from. NMS was a great combination of space exploration and land exploration.

The only place I feel they messed up was they didn't use enough real astronomical data like Gas planets, quasars, nebulas, wind planets, supernovas etc. Basically every single planet in every single solar system was mostly habitual in some kind of way. Still it was a fun game to play with all the exploration it allowed.

HEYYYYYYYYY

I liked No Mans Sky out of the box. I had no expectations so I did not endure the disappointment that some of the original fanboys were suffering from. NMS was a great combination of space exploration and land exploration.

The only place I feel they messed up was they didn't use enough real astronomical data like Gas planets, quasars, nebulas, wind planets, supernovas etc. Basically every single planet in every single solar system was mostly habitual in some kind of way. Still it was a fun game to play with all the exploration it allowed.

I love exploration in games. It's one of my very favorite things. But I only consider it exploration if there's something to find. Otherwise it's just walking/flying/riding around, wasting time. It seemed to me from reviews and comments that NMS was too repetitive and generic to encourage me to explore when it was released, but I've been impressed with the post launch support and I've wondered if it's reached a state where I'd enjoy it. (keeping in mind that I don't care about base building)

Shame to admit, but I have finally finished The Witcher 3 during the holidays. Now on the DLCs and crapload of unfinished sidequests and Witcher contracts.

A Plague Tale Innocence 9/10

Many praised this for the story so wanted to try it and it was sure worth it but not for that; for me the story was not so interesting but the setting, environment and dark and grim atmosphere were top level. It is pretty easy but still the gameplay captivated me because you rely on stealth most of the time and it has very fun mechanics especially against the rats. Voice acting was pretty good as well, and as a refresher, very long time since i played a game where the characters were kids.

edit i sure hope there will be a sequel like its rumored

Last edited by a moderator:
Book of Demons - I found this game because it was listed as a 'card' game (slay the spire, thea 2); but don't be fool it is not a card game but simplistic (though unique) arpg. In this game the cards are identical to equipment but instead of equipment slots (ring, weapon, ...) you have card slots and can equip N of these. Some of the cards have passive bonus others have active bonus. Some items have similar cards of different grade and you can only equip one of those. The game has a few unique ideas - cards (equipment) can be disable by monsters in different ways; some of the rewards you collect go into a pot in town and you can buy this pot (I've seen this before but don't remember where). You can wait and buy the pot periodically (the cost goes up with each purchase) but if you die then all these rewards are lost. In most ways this game is much closer to diablo than grim dawn or titan quest both in simplicity of build and in map layout - though the amount of equipment and variation (number of cards and number of cards per type) is rather small. There is limited but some strategy - the order you place the cards in certain situation can have benefits (not discussed to avoid spoiler) - and the items you chose to equip can help with crowd control in certain ways but other than that it is a pure button smasher (the buttons you will smash are number keys for trigger non-passive cards) and the mouse for hitting. There are no hidden locations or intricate maps.

Ultimate the game is quite repetitive and after the first 2 or 3 hours very little new will show up - so i'd score it 5/10 - a very well done 5/10 but 5/10. The low score is for fun value and longevity. I did not see any obvious bugs and it has a decent (very good?) design interface with a few interesting things ideas on the interface. Mind you a game like this does not require a fancy interface still given the number of games with poor interfaces it is always a bonus to call out a game when it is well done.

Chaps I'd like to start a thread in the reviews section to review some older games I've recently finished, but it won't let me.

Do I need to do summat to upgrade my privileges or summat?

Ta

Well you need to be a moderator or news-editor to post. It's as simple as that. Take for example the poll forum members can post replies, but can't start new threads.

Thanks chaps. It won't let me start it in the reviews section, so I'll pop it in the general one instead. Should really be in reviews but meh, whatever.

Star Wars: Jedi Academy

This was a ‘day of release’ purchase for me, replayed right away to experience Light/Dark and different styles, and a game I used to play pretty much every year … but as I played I realized I haven’t gotten past Hoth (~1/3 into game) in quite a while.

Negatives:
- Annoying intro makes you want to kill Rosh immediately, and the setup in the tutorial and ‘intro Force Powers’ sections are more annoying than enjoyable … Rosh is trash, and too little stuff to do (compared, of course, to the Yavin 4 ‘trial’ level in JKII).
- The premise (siphoning off force power to resurrect Marka Ragnos and re-establish the Sith order) and main boss (Tavion, first loser from JKII) fall short of the lofty Star Wars tales of earlier Jedi Knight games. (Though after Rise of Skywalker in particular, Jedi Academy is high art!)

Positives:
-Best lightsaber combat of any video game ever.
-Mission - story structure really works well, providing the feeling of choice but also placing you inside a structure where ‘cool levels’ take on greater meaning.
-Cool levels - there are some really excellent levels throughout the game. Some of them require thought, others are just exhausting in scale and scope.
-Progression - by the time you get to the Tier 3 missions, the stakes are high, and everything you encounter is very serious.
-Combat - by Tier 3 you are meeting all kinds of Force wielding foes who will challenge you with tactics and team combat methods.
-Solid use of Kyle Katarn and judicious use of Luke Skywalker. Also great voice acting.
-Jennifer Hale as the female version of the protagonist is excellent as always.

Jedi Academy has aged much better than I expected - I played on my MacBook Pro and the resolution was max’d out and things looked fantastic for a nearly 17 year old game.

Back
Top Bottom