Metro Exodus - Being Removed from Steam

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
DSOGaming reports that Metro Exodus is being removed from Steam and will be exclusive to Epics Game Store. You have until later today to get the game on Steam before it is no longer able to be purchased there until February 2020.

Epic Games and Deep Silver announced today their partnership to launch digitally on PC the highly anticipated Metro Exodus via the Epic Games store. According to the the game's official Steam store page, this is an exclusive deal, meaning that the game will not be available on Steam at all (those who have pre-ordered the game on Steam will still get it).

[...]
More information.

There loss.
I like to have my games in one space, so no buy. price is to steep anyways.

Hell, look at those pc specs... guess a few select here can play it on normal fx setting

There loss.
I like to have my games in one space, so no buy. price is to steep anyways.

Hell, look at those pc specs… guess a few select here can play it on normal fx setting

OTOH, we shouldn't encourage monopolies.

And I was looking forward to this too. Oh well.

Not the first time a publisher's bean counters sink a developer's just rewards.

Epic's strategy seesm to be not to make a good store with good functionality but to buy up exclusives to try to take steam's market share. Looks like it's working as planned.

It's a really crappy strategy that doesn't benefit consumers, especially doing it two weeks before release, Looks likes a desperate move from the developer/publisher.

At least this time they’re fulfilling the Steam pre-orders.

Anyway looks like the publisher made the decision this time not the developer. Hope they enjoy that cash purse from Epic. As we'll see how well it sells on the epic store.

So far I find the Epic platform lacking in many ways compared to Steam.

Last edited:
Exclusivity is not about competition and is anti-consumer. If Epic believes in competition then the game should be available on both Steam and Epic Store.

Businesses paying producers to make desirable goods exclusively for them to distribute is very much a normal part of free market competition. Countless real world companies compete in that way, including every commercial TV station, ever.

Platform proliferation might be inconvenient, but companies looking for exclusive items has got nothing to do with anticompetitive practices.

I will not be participating in "exclusives" and the further "consolization" of my personal computer.

Businesses paying producers to make desirable goods exclusively for them to distribute is very much a normal part of free market competition. Countless real world companies compete in that way, including every commercial TV station, ever.

Platform proliferation might be inconvenient, but companies looking for exclusive items has got nothing to do with anticompetitive practices.
My re-post from another forum.
If another company offered you and some of your peers a raise and you all accepted it despite your current company being good to you for years, who would be most scummy in that situation?

1) You for taking the money. Once you take money from one place so many years, they own your ass!
2) The company who gave you the raise. Fucking home wreckers!
3) Your current company who’s not matching your soon to be employer. Cheap bastards!

Or is it just business? Free markets.

Free markets and competition doesn’t guarantee it works out for everyone all the time every step of the way. Either you support free markets or you think there should be a worldwide centralized organization managing all of gaming and ensuring everyone releases on Steam.

None of you are trying out another launcher for features. Content is the only chance any launcher has. At least this time they’re fulfilling the preorders. At some point, I suspect most of these deals will be done ahead of time.

This isn’t going away.

Now is a good time for someone to come up with a centralized solution to connect and simply all the launchers. Maybe this could be an opportunity for Discord since they’re already the centralized solution for PC communication.

Exclusivity is certainly apart of the competitive landscape no doubting that. It seems like Epic thinks it can't compete without exclusives through which is a shame. They should be endeavouring to provide a better service which in the long run would ensure a real competition with Steam.

All those exclusive games will likely be largely ignored now until they release on other store fronts. I guess we will see.

So they have it on steam to take advantage of the customer base and exposure then make it exclusive at the last second to epic store. A bit shady and ingenuous all at once.

I would have probably bought it once it went on sale but now will skip it altogether. I don't like exclusivity on the same platform but would have tolerated it if they had come out and been up front at the start. Just doesn't sit right with me.

I'll eventually buy something on epic and in some time it will become no big deal just like the other clients I already have installed, but for now, It's kind of annoying me.

I don't find it too surprising. I think new upstart competitors are going to seek every possible advantage (including big-ticket exclusives) to try and make inroads against the massive entrenched advantages of the dominant player. I think we've just become accustomed to Steam being the market, instead of just one player within it.

One comment I'm starting to agree with is Steam should blacklist publishers for this. I could just imagine the CEO of Deep Silver having a heart attack over lost revenue.

I'm not talking about exclusives itself but taking pre-orders and moving platforms. Still this type of practice would just let other platforms gain more games. So it's a gamble.

If this was a decision taken purely by the publisher, involving a plump manila envelope for them, at the expense of restricted sales for 4A Games, I would think a courtroom might beckon.

If this was a decision taken purely by the publisher, involving a plump manila envelope for them, at the expense of restricted sales for Deep Silver, I would think a courtroom might beckon.
Would of been hilarious if Kingmaker required you to use the Epic Launcher.:lol:

For me there is Steam and GOG. I ignore Ubisoft and EA stores already. For big publishers with enough reach storefronts are more about maximizing potential revenue for their games then actually competing with Steam. EA left Steam because they didn't want to pay 30% for every DLC etc.

For Epic it is a bit different as they seek to really compete with Steam. They have considered the developer part of the equation in terms of revenue share but seem not to have considered the player equation. Exclusivity is something that is creating ill will against them. PC is largely an open platform and for them to compete they need to consider the service side and its a scant offering. Epic should of launched with a more mature client in a year or two.

c6f5ddfe1c1b943354ff043b4f9f43665f058fa114c298838190c555e94813d5.png

As for Metro Exodus I haven't been following the game so I'm not really interested. I am interested in Rebel Galaxy Outlaw through so thats annoying.

As for Metro Exodus I haven't been following the game so I'm not really interested. I am interested in Rebel Galaxy Outlaw through so thats annoying.
At least the developer of Rebel Galaxy Outlaw outright told every buyer it would be an Epic exclusive at launch, and didn't open a Steam page to allow pre-orders.

Just look at another game called Ashen on Steam. They stalled lied and eventually gave out a bullshit statement about the game being on every promised platform.
It wouldn't have deterred the faithful.
Nope but I use GOG so its not a moral dilemma for me at least.:biggrin:

I'm not particularly keen on "exclusive deals" (kickbacks), but generally speaking, all gamers should be happy that the people who developed the game would get 88% of its revenue (via Epic store) rather than only 70% (via Steam store). Having some kind of obsessive-compulsive disorder about only having one game store app installed on your computer shouldn't trump the desire for the game's developer to get a much larger percentage of the money you paid for their game. That's a really sad attitude.

Back
Top Bottom