A Song of Ice and Fire - Read book VS Watch Series

Hey all,

I'm now in a position where I'm trying to decide what to do about A Song of Ice and Fire. Meaning, I don't know if I should read the books first, watch the series first or a mix of both.

Currently I've only read the first book, and then watched the first season of Game of Thrones. I also have various random character deaths that were spoiled to me.

So, do I:
- Read the books first, considering they're quite large and not know what happens next could entice me to keep going. I'm leaning towards this, especially since they're quite large.
- Watch the series first, which could either give me more motivation to keep reading, or kill that motivation. I hear the series strayed a bit from the books. The question is, how much?
- A mix of both? Reading one book, and watching one season? Is this even worth it?

I'm also thinking about the fact that I'll most likely finish the tv series before George Martin finishes the book series (especially at the snails pace he seems to be writing (no actual complaints here, as long as he finishes strong). So I'm not sure how I'll about reading the books up to the 5th or potentially 6th one, and then starting the tv series.

I just noticed that I kept mentioning how large the books are. I guess it's quite a daunting task for me (it's been this way for some time), especially since I don't have much time, and will probably be able to only spend 1-2 hours per day to read (I also like to take my time reading).

So, any opinions from the fans of the books/series?

My advice to you is to most definitely read the books. I have done both and find that the series is not *quite* the same as to what happened in the books, especially post-latest book, of course. Plus, I found the series to be a bit on the trashy side, to be quite honest.

1-2 hrs per day of reading time is plenty of time to get through the series.

Definitely watch the series first. Always watch the series/movie before reading the book if you intend to do both eventually. If you read the book then I guarantee you won't enjoy the series/movie about it, you'll always be like 'The book did this better' or 'They cut X part from the book'. If you watch the series first, you'll enjoy the series, and then when you read the books you'll enjoy the books. The reverse you only enjoy the books.

Bah. I enjoyed the videos very much after reading the books. Lots of differences (both omissions and additions) make for somewhat different stories.

Both are worthwhile. I'd pick whatever you are in the mood for. Watching or reading. Then do the other when you want.

I've read all the books and watched seasons 1-6 (after finishing the books). I think the books are much better than the tv series by a wide margin. Mind you the tv series isn't bad but they lack the depth of the books. The series could be twice as long and not contain as much data as in the books (i.e, the tv series jumps around too much).

Read the books. They are awesome and much more enjoyable without being spoiled by the show first.

Wolfing does make a good point about how you might not enjoy the show anymore, but I feel that depends on how much of a purist/fan you are. I enjoyed the show for what it is, but the books, man, I would've been really sad if some stuff had been spoiled before I even started them.

Books first definitely. Show is outstanding and you’ll not diminish that at all. Great cast does the books justice so it’s great watch it after the fact. You’ll appreciate the shows quality that way too.

I've only read the first book - and I did so after watching the first season.

To me, it was a pretty close match overall. It felt like the same story in all the important ways.

That said, since I lost interest in the show after Season 2 - I never bothered to read any of the other books.

I don't know how different the later books are, but the show entered a steep decline after season one.

To me, that is.

I had the impression that Martin was too ambitious for his own good and could never quite reach the potential of that excellent setup of characters and the premise of "white walkers", etc.

He seems to have lost his way and it felt like he started relying ever more on the spectacle and the obvious gimmick of the show (shocking deaths).

Maybe that's not true, though - and only the show is like that. I wouldn't know.

I'm waiting to read the books. Only one more season of the HBO series. Won't be released until 2019. I love the TV show so I'm happy to wait on the books.

Don't read the books.
Read them when Martin finishes the "saga" already.
If.

Don't read the books.
Read them when Martin finishes the "saga" already.
If.

That's a big "if". I don't think he will. Someone else might finish them, based on his notes, similar to Wheel of Time, but I very much doubt he will be the one to write the entire final book.

Read the books. Why settle for seconds when you can easily obtain all there is to learn about that world. The show is pale and empty compared to the novels, and that will never change.

And before that, go read the Name of the Wind. Martin is good, but Rothfuss is even better.

I think he hinted that both books might come out this year or this year and next (fingers crossed). I suspect the entire story is finished and he is just making revisions.

That's a big "if". I don't think he will. Someone else might finish them, based on his notes, similar to Wheel of Time, but I very much doubt he will be the one to write the entire final book.

Name of the wind is fantastic as is the second book in the series. Sadly the third and final book as not arrived after 13? 14? years.

Yeah it's a great series but will it ever be finished? Both Martin and Rothfuss are great writers but they don't seem to be able to finish things.

On topic: read the books first. I enjoyed the show a lot even though I already read the books.

The first book was fantastic, the second was great, the third was good, the fourth was ok, the fifth was not good, I hope the sixth is not even worse.

For the TV series, the production values are amazing! Otherwise from a story perspective it quite ok, lots of changes though, but season 7 episode 6 is so bad it kind of ruins the entire thing.

I think he hinted that both books might come out this year or this year and next (fingers crossed). I suspect the entire story is finished and he is just making revisions.

We'll see. I don't have high hopes. He seems to be the slowest, professional author around.

Edit: Albeit very skilled.

Back
Top Bottom