PoE Thoughts/discussion/first impressions of Pillars of Eternity!

Pillars of Eternity
Not that anyone in this english speaking forum will be bothered a lot about it, but the German translation is 1. bad 2. a mess.

Just wrote this to the obsidian forums:
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/71891-1020508-german-translation-is-a-mess/

Now there are some weird translations, like "25 haut Schaden".
I found several typos and spaces where no space should be or missing spaces.
"Hello! I am John."
could be:
"Hello!I am John."
or
"Hello! I am John ."

I also found texts, mostly in the interface, probably added by the release patch, which were not translated at all. Like "enchantment".

But while thats bad its not a game stopper. What is a game stopper are the weapon descriptions. and the paladin order descriptions.

Paladin Orders show the favorite alignment, but do not show the disfavored alignment.

Weapons do NOT show the weapon type.

Weapons have names which do not make any sense. Like a spear called "intellekt +2"

Now if I want to play the german version I constantly have to switch between German and English and back to German, to read the German text and get the english information.

I attached a screenshot. But seriously you just have to start the game and errors in the translation are all over the place.

So I hope for a fast patch to make it decently playable.

I think the slow download speed could be due to high volume on Steam servers. Who knows? o_O

Aubrielle, I downloaded my copy about a week ago and it was blazing fast. I have a 100 Mbps network, though, and get nearly every drop of that due to a fancy router and this laptop I'm on. Maybe that had something to do with it? :thinking:

Combat auto-attack?

Ok, one irritation: as soon as combat starts (enemy spotted), my character seems to use whatever weapon is equipped to initiate an attack (a *very* slow crossbow in this case). I don't get a chance to halt that, and, say attack with a spell instead. Which means I end up with a long delay and get smacked all over. How can I stop it from starting an attack automatically? Also seems that interrupts make it almost impossible to use spell-like abilities in close combat (I'm a cipher). So, am I expected to run away and attack from afar? I have high values in the relevant stats (that they suggested, and have a "good" deflection.

Do you have a high concentration to not get interrupted?

Also in the pause option you have two sub-points which will "stop doing stuff". One each time you see an enemy, one each time you engage in combat.

In addition there is also a disable auto-attack option which might help.

I think the slow download speed could be due to high volume on Steam servers. Who knows? o_O

Aubrielle, I downloaded my copy about a week ago and it was blazing fast. I have a 100 Mbps network, though, and get nearly every drop of that due to a fancy router and this laptop I'm on. Maybe that had something to do with it? :thinking:

Mine was less about download speed and more about installation glitches, I think. :-/ I'm using GOG, and the installer reached a certain point and stopped. I downloaded it manually (not using their fancy installer) and it seems to be working…

I might finally get to play!! xD

Mine was less about download speed and more about installation glitches, I think. :-/ I'm using GOG, and the installer reached a certain point and stopped. I downloaded it manually (not using their fancy installer) and it seems to be working…

I might finally get to play!! xD
That's why I prefer using Steam over GOG for downloading games. Hopefully that will change once they release their DRM-Free version of Steam called Galaxy.:)

Link - http://www.gog.com/galaxy

Just a heads-up for anyone who wants to play as a ranger. There is a bug that makes your companion disappear and as I found out (googling for possible solutions) that can even break the game at some point. However exiting the game and loading a save fixes things (simple reload doesn't work, at least for me). Anyway the game is really, really good so far.

I didn't follow the development nor did I check out any videos, previews etc. I only saw some screenshots which just showed combat and some scenery. Didn't know what to expect, but holy crap... PoE seems like the perfect RPG! To be honest, the big hitters of 2014, specifically Wasteland 2 and Divinity, didn't really satisfy my RPG itch, as there were some design decisions I seriously disliked(especially with Divinity).

I spent maybe 1.5 hours on the character development, reading through all of the information. Couldn't decide for a long time what type of a character I'd like to play, since there's so many attractive options. Previously, I got really tired of RPGs offering the lame, generic choice of Mage, Fighter or Thief, as none of these classes really appeal to me. Finally decided to go for my D&D favorite druid because I like the versatility and the concept itself.

Because I only saw the screenshots, I wasn't expecting dialogs of such quality, not to mention the checks and the choices. There seems to be a good balance between exploration, combat and dialog which I greatly appreciate.

I will most definitely have to replay it as soon as I'm done with this playthrough. It's also great that AoD is coming out soon, though I hope it won't be overshadowed by PoE. I'm in a pretty good mood now, knowing that finally an RPG to my taste has been released with no major design decisions that I disagree with :).

Ok, one irritation: as soon as combat starts (enemy spotted), my character seems to use whatever weapon is equipped to initiate an attack (a *very* slow crossbow in this case). I don't get a chance to halt that, and, say attack with a spell instead. Which means I end up with a long delay and get smacked all over. How can I stop it from starting an attack automatically? Also seems that interrupts make it almost impossible to use spell-like abilities in close combat (I'm a cipher). So, am I expected to run away and attack from afar? I have high values in the relevant stats (that they suggested, and have a "good" deflection.
By default game has it set to pause at combat starts, but you can set it at enemy noticed. Then you can get the first strike and do what you want

Darn. Steam download is still stuck at 6GB, and not moving. Probably need to delete local content and start over. :(

OK, it's GOG next time. Steam failed…

It's very slow re-downloading today... PoE must be very popular?

Has anyone noticed the random slowdown or erratic delivery of voiced lines? The reviewer from RPS was mentioning that it was a problem for him.
I wanted to wait for patches but the Watch effect is beginning to take hold. Dammit!

I wouldn't wait for patches for this one. It's beautiful right now!

Is the day 1 patch included in the released build? Is it even out yet?

Don't know.
My version is "v1.0.2.0508 -steam"

But a big shout out to Obsidian for colorblind mode! This is a very rare option and much appreciated!

I wouldn't wait for patches for this one. It's beautiful right now!

Yessir! Salutes

Early impressions are that the game is fantastic. I played the Beta through a couple of times, once very early, then quite late. You can see how the game has benefited hugely from those extra few months.

So far I'm having a great time with the final product. Things like AoE looting make a nice difference and I'm yet to encounter any bugs.

But a big shout out to Obsidian for colorblind mode! This is a very rare option and much appreciated!

That was confusing at some point in the beta (didn't know the feature existed and I ended up with blue circles) and now I actually prefer the blue over the green.

Ok, off to play the game...

Has anyone noticed the random slowdown or erratic delivery of voiced lines? The reviewer from RPS was mentioning that it was a problem for him.
I wanted to wait for patches but the Watch effect is beginning to take hold. Dammit!

I don't think RPS was talking about that. He was talking about the intentional way dialog is done where only certain parts of the text are spoken. It makes sense in that they only speak what they are actually saying but you will often find yourself reading the descriptive/flavour text that appears before the speaking part while the voice is already speaking that part which can be a bit irritating but not too bad. I haven't noticed any other issues with voice.

One simple thing I noticed is in the cyclopedia clicking on an item happily resets the scroll position to the top. Are you watching Bioware? Simple UI considerations you could put into Dragon Age (maybe they have since I played DA:I I doubt it).

Anyway as to POE after a couple of hours I have to say thumbs up in a big way. Not sure if Chanter was the right choice for me though but ah well the joys of restarting with a different build etc.

Back
Top Bottom