RPGWatch - Game of the Year Awards 2016

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
We went through our database and came up with the games that were released according to that database and are or could be considered to be an RPG and have added them to the list of games that you can choose from in our Game of the Year 2016 awards.

You can give 3 votes for the best RPGs in 2016 and 3 votes for the most anticipated RPGs in 2017.

In addition you can also specify if you want to participate in our key giveaway (last question), which means you have a chance to win one of the keys we have for a game. You cannot give a preference for a game, if you are selected as a winner for a key, you get one randomly. If you already have that game or don't want it then you can give it to someone else yourself. The list of available games will be given in the first comment to this news posting.

You will need to be registered and have a minimum of 10 posts in order to be able to participate in the vote and key giveaway.

More information.

The list of games for which we will give keys away are:

Provided by Henriquejr:
Crusader Kings 2
Spelunky

Provided by Black Rune:
Broken Sword Trilogy Chroma Squad
Sanctuary RPG: Black Edition
We Are The Dwarves

Provided by Acleacius:
Eldritch
Lovely Planet Arcade

Provided by Khalus:
AI War Collection
Beat Hazard + Ultra + Shadow Operations Unit DLC
The Cat Lady
CHIP
Sid Meier's Civilization III: Complete
The Dream Machine: Chapters 1-3
The Dream Machine: Chapter 4
Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition
Glacier 3: The Meltdown
Intake
MX vs ATV Reflex
Nux
PAYDAY 2 Orc and Crossbreed Masks
Platypus
Platypus II
Psichodelya
Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves
Time Gentlemen Please - Ben There, Dan That

Provided by Radorin:
ANODE
Avernum 2: Crystal Souls
Hand of Fate
Lumino City
Massive Chalice
Mercenaries
Oxenfree
Satellite Reign
Solarix

Last edited:
Feel free to leave your comments about the best RPGs of last year or the ones you are looking forward to in this year.
Don't bother with mentioning the game you would like to win. If you participate you have a chance to receive one of the many available keys.

Hey Myrthos...

I may have checked "Yes" to participating in the giveaway. I want to opt out, if possible. No games for me! :)

The best game was the re-release of Skyrim :)

I didn't vote for any 2017 games because I'm not the type to go by hype. I'll most likely play either TES or Fallout more than any other game this year, unless someone else learns to do open-world sandbox; that's my favorite genre. Fortunately there are still thousands of mods I've never tried in the Bethesda universe!

I would have voted for the Enderal mod, had it been there. It was the game I played longest of all the new releases. Next was Balrum, so I voted for it instead. Balrum is very well done.

A little typo: "Name the third RPG you are looking forward to as well in 2016" Should be 2017.

Looking trough that list, wow what a poor year it was

i voted
1 salt and sanctuary
2 deus ex
3 dark souls

Whoa. I just realized how few games I've played this year…I choose not to put any votes under Best of 2016 for that very reason. Most played for me this year is probably Underrail, but maybe that was released late 2015?

Most anticipated was fairly easy:
Torment, D:OS2 and Battletech.

Hey Myrthos…

I may have checked "Yes" to participating in the giveaway. I want to opt out, if possible. No games for me! :)
You can redo the vote and select no yourself.

A little typo: "Name the third RPG you are looking forward to as well in 2016" Should be 2017.
Thanks!

Looking trough that list, wow what a poor year it was

i voted
1 salt and sanctuary
2 deus ex
3 dark souls

I would agree with you, its a much weaker year than 2015 or 2014.

My 3 votes look quite different though, but you appear more of an action lover than me.

1. Stranger of Sword City.
2. Tyranny. (Would probably have been #5 last year)
3. Avadon: Warborn.

I didn't play much of anything new in 2016 (playing some older stuff, though), but I still voted based on what I think I would like.

Best of 2016:

1) Lord of the Seal (Etrian Odyssey/Wizardry influenced first-person crawler, seemed really cool from the tiny bit I played)
2) Ray Gigant (another first-person crawler that seems really neat)
3) Sacred Blade (played a bit of it and I like that the mechanics are based on D&D 3.5. Definitely want to play more sometime.)

Most looking forward to (at least from the list that was given):

1) Arcadian Atlas (Tactics Ogre/Final Fantasy Tactics inspired RPG. Really looking forward to this one a lot.)
2) Divinity: Original Sin II (more local co-op RPG goodness! Not enough local co-op RPGs made on PC. D:OS is basically the only one so far!)
3) ELEX (Piranha Bytes RPG, 'nuff said)

I'll most likely play either TES or Fallout more than any other game this year, unless someone else learns to do open-world sandbox

What about this sci-fi open world? Is it interesting for you, or not?

-------------------
There are few tïtles like Deus Ex, Banner Saga 2, Dark Souls or The Technomancer.

Look like big battle between Torment, D:OS2 and Andromeda.
Then there is Kingdom Come + Elex, Battletech, Vampyr, Expeditions: Viking… Maybe we should declare 2017 a special year and vote for 5 titles instead of 3. :)

Man that 2016 list is full of a lot of game I have no interest in.

2017 is looking sweet though. Torment, D:OS2, Battle Brothers, and Battletech look amazing and they didn't even make my top 3!! Also Insomnia, Vampyr, Prey, South Park, and Warhammer are games I'm looking forward to. Voted ELEX, Expeditions Vikings, and Kingdom Come Deliverance.

Yup, that's a long, long list of games I mostly don't care about. It would be interesting to have a poll of the most purchased games of 2016 by the RPGWatch community.

I played 5 games in the 2016 list, so voting wasn't that hard. I own 10 of them. Even GOTY awards reminds me of my ever growing backlog!!!

My 2017 resolution is to try more indies.

My vote:

Best RPGs of 2016:
  • Ara Fell
  • Dragon's Dogma
  • Avadon 3

Most anticipated RPGs in 2017:

• Battle Brothers
  • Divinity Original Sin II
  • Expeditions: Viking

2016 was more mass than class. But I enjoyed Final Fantasy 9,
Final Fantasy X and Ember as well. I still have to play a few 2016 releases…

It was kind of a weak year for games for me too. 2016 was - as I predicted a year ago - the year of the console for me. I listed Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization as my #1 pick for 2016. I found more games coming in 2017 that I'm excited for.

-Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
-BattleTech
-Kingdom Come: Deliverance

I still want to try Xanadu Next and Anima: Gate of Memories, though.

You can redo the vote and select no yourself

Thanks.

Short from me.

#1 - DX:MD. Because hair and if bundled phonegame is removed it's a masterpiece.

#2 - Technomancer. Improved Mars, remained charming, can't go 1st because of grind.

#3 - Stardew Valley. Is it RPG at all? Dunno, but I enjoyed it more than some de facto RPGs.

Most anticipating was easy. Elex, D:OS2 and Torment2. Why, Elex will most probably be massleukemia caused baldness epic game, new D:OS can fail only if they focus on MMO too much and they won't, while before TW3 appeared, PST was my #1 game of all times and I can't wait to see what happens next in that crazy world.
Sadly can't pick a fourth one because it'd be…
No, not ME:MMO :p, it'd be Deliverance!

I have to agree it was kind of slim pickings this year I think I only bought 2 games on the list and the others I own like Grim Dawn I kickstarted or bought them before 2016.
Come to think of it, that applies to my Most anticipated 2017 games as well.
Battle Brothers
Battle Tech
DOS II
Already bought an payed for.

The only one I played on the list was Grim Dawn so I had no other choice but to choose it.
I did pencil in The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine expansion as my second choice, and left the last blank. I could have selected Dragons Dogma, I played the PS3 version several years back.

It was a real toss up for me whether to choose Elex or Divinity Original Sin 2 for 2017 though.

Seems like that 2016 list could have used some filtering, I mean many of those have obviously no chance to win and by having literally everything in the list, it's just diluting the voting pool. A good % of the games on that huge list probably don't have more than 1 or 2 people here who even played them, many probably have zero. But the biggest take-away from the list was just how god-awful 2016 was for RPG's.

Voted D:OS2, Torment, and BattleTech for 2017. Easy decision.

Back
Top Bottom