Fallout 4 - The E in S.P.E.C.I.A.L. and Other News

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The E in S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stands for Endurance and for those new to this sytem as it is used in Fallout 4, this video is supposed to give you some information about it.

In today’s chapter we focus on Endurance to help you better understand how to resist the harmful effects of radiation and other dangers of the Wasteland.
Furthermore Eye spotted a bunch of other Fallout 4 news.

About the music in Fallout 4 with Inon Zur, including two music scores.

Judging from the strange sounds coming from the yard next door, Inon Zur’s neighbors would be forgiven for thinking their neighbor’s half-mad.

“I walk in my garden and basically hammer on things,” Zur says. He’s also been known to use a cello bow on a garden chair – which, he tells us, produces a sound that’s “shrill as hell.” And if those same neighbors happen to peek into Zur’s house, they might even catch the composer at the piano… but it won’t be like any recital they’ve ever seen. “I cruelly exploit the piano by hitting the strings with open hands and even biting the strings,” Zur laughs.

A behind the scenes video with Dogmeat

And an interview with Todd Howard at Twinfinite.

The release of Skyrim exposed a flaw in the system that created an enormous amount of bugs and glitches within the game, and Bethesda was unable to get a handle on them until well after launch. So many bugs, from dragons flying backwards to players losing save files to the game unable to load, that it was a good 2 months before they were mostly corrected.

The process was a slow one that happened while Skyrim was already released. This time, Todd says that the process was one they went through was a learning experience that helped them be better prepared for Fallout 4 because it was “essentially done” when announced in June. The time from then until launch is focused on ensuring those same issues are ironed out ahead of time because as Todd says “the players saved game is number one, if the game crashes, that’s bad, but it is nowhere near as bad as someone’s saved game being hosed. That’s the scenario we will do anything and everything to avoid.” With at least 6 months of testing, this launch should be smoother than Skyrim.

More information.

> The release of Skyrim exposed a flaw in the system that created an enormous amount of bugs and glitches within the game, and Bethesda was unable to get a handle on them until well after launch.

That's... a weird statement. Are they just saying the game was buggy and beta testing didn't pick up on it?

The video indicates food and water as elements for survival. Similar features to FA3 hardcore mode features might make it in FO4 normal mode.

Extended gameplay maybe.

Well, I hope survival mode is optional. I like fun in my games, gathering food and water sounds like a chore, not fun.

Players find it fun.

The video is mostly dedicated to tieing endurance to food and water.

It indicates that food and water are needed to upkeep the body and that endurance allows the PC to be less picky on food and water quality.

FO4 announced base building and that buildings meet a function.
Facilities to grow food, facilities to collect water, facility to increase edibility etc

A possibility.

I don't particularly like the Inon Zur theme. Emotionally it does very little for me, is too similar to F3/NV and carries too much of a banal "triumphant" quality which doesn't convey any kind of post-apocalyptic feeling at all to me. The second track featured on the website "the last mariner" is an improvement but still lacking.

Unfortunately there's just no comparison to the wonderful ambient work Mark Morgan did with the original Fallout soundtracks which get me in the Fallout "mood" so much more:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl1JE9yWgrs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H5DbMyKjGo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7zfrSJUEbY
Times have changed, naturally, (even if War certainly hasn't!)

Last edited:
Well, I hope survival mode is optional. I like fun in my games, gathering food and water sounds like a chore, not fun.

AKA i dont want endurance to be important because its my throw away stat. :p

Back
Top Bottom