Might & Magic 6-8 - New Unoffical Patches released

wow that's very nice

I still hear good things about Blood and Honor, people say its the best MM game

wow that's very nice

I still hear good things about Blood and Honor, people say its the best MM game

No, it certainly is not with its ridiculous baby dungeons and generally unfinished feel and lack of content. It was from the dark ages of New World Computing, when they had been bought by Trip Hawkins and part of 3DO, and Trip had a contract that forced them to release a few game at very short intervals. And it showed.

MM8 was a lot, lot worse and it really showed it was shoved out of the door as early as possible.

MM9... let's not even talk about it.

Guy above me is a bit negative. MM7 is indeed one of the better MM games overall. I think of it as a polished MM6 with better class diversity and more replay value as far as character creation/development. Sound track is amazing as well. Is it better than MM3 or World of Xeen? Find out for yourself.

No, it certainly is not with its ridiculous baby dungeons and generally unfinished feel and lack of content. It was from the dark ages of New World Computing, when they had been bought by Trip Hawkins and part of 3DO, and Trip had a contract that forced them to release a few game at very short intervals. And it showed.

MM8 was a lot, lot worse and it really showed it was shoved out of the door as early as possible.

MM9… let's not even talk about it.

so what is your best one?

Most people say Mandate of Heaven or Blood and honor

Mandate of Heaven by far, it had the best world and a treasure trove of content. It felt you actually lived in the world, more so than any other game.

What does it matter is VII has a slightly better character system and more dynamic quests if the core of the content, the environments, dungeons, and meat of the game itself, completely sucks ass?

I got lost for weeks on end in VI, but VII I barely remember anything from. All I remember from it is being stupefied at how short every new dungeon was and how bland and unmemorable the environments surrounding the cities were, along with every single NPC.

MM7 was just a rehash of MM6, and MM8 was a rehash of MM7.
Personally, I enjoyed M&M 3-5 far more than M&M 6-8. IMHO, the move to full 3D and away from step based movement hurt the series.

What did everyone think of the non 3D0 release, Legacy in 2014? I kinda liked it. It wasnt a big game by any stretch but definetly felt like Might and magic to me.

I guess it depends on what you like in a RPG. If I had to choose a favorite, it would probably be World of Xeen, but between 6-7-8, my preference goes to Blood and Honor. Mandate of Heaven was good, but it was just too long for me, and I was getting bored by the end.

I wish I had time to play the whole series again (never played 1,2, and 10). :)

What did everyone think of the non 3D0 release, Legacy in 2014? I kinda liked it. It wasnt a big game by any stretch but definetly felt like Might and magic to me.

I thought it dragged on towards the end, but I liked it in general. It's the only M&M game I've actually finished. :blush:

MMX is legit

I liked the fast character progression and the combat. Combat was really, really good for me, very tactical

I didn't like the grid-based exteriors though

MM7 was just a rehash of MM6, and MM8 was a rehash of MM7.
Personally, I enjoyed M&M 3-5 far more than M&M 6-8. IMHO, the move to full 3D and away from step based movement hurt the series.

I felt just the opposite from you. I played all the MM games 1-9 (I've started but yet to finish X)… had fond memories of 1, 3, 4 & 5 but I loved 6 & 7 as the games played more like the Underworld games which I loved. My favorite of the series is probably 7 despite the smaller world and smaller dungeons… I always felt MM6 dragged on too much.

All the games in the series had excellent character progression. Between multiple party members, attributes, skills, and gear, there was always something to improve upon seemingly every 5 minutes. There was really never another series where that 'just 5 more minutes… just gonna do one last thing' feeling was so strong.

MM7's world was a lot more polished, so it takes the cake for me.

But on to the point, GrayFace is a fucking hero. I was sure we'd heard the last of him.

MM7's world was absolutely not more polished, that's a sorry joke. You can do so, so much more in 6 and go to so many more places. I think I want to start playing it again.

MM7's world was absolutely not more polished, that's a sorry joke. You can do so, so much more in 6 and go to so many more places. I think I want to start playing it again.

We're so happy God has spoken. As if your opinion means more than anyone else. For someone who claims to be clothed in Christ, you have a supremely high opinion of yourself.

I have a hard time picking between 3, 6 and 7 personally. I love all three games but don't play 3 much anymore do to the outdated graphics. I played both 6 and 7 earlier this year and had a great time in each.

I have only ever "really" played 7 and I had lots of fun with it. I finished it twice which says a lot to me.

It's one of those games which require a bit of thought, but not too much.
I would not even have finished it once if not for Greyface though.
So thank you for that.

I played Might and Magic Six, seven, and eight. I enjoyed them all three of them, if I had to pick a favourite, I'd pick six With that said, all three are good and worth playing. One through five were superior (again, imo), and I even enjoyed ten, although I had to rush playing because it was on a loaner laptop since I don't do Ubi platform.

… but I loved 6 & 7 as the games played more like the Underworld games

Like you, I'm a big fan of the Ultima Underworld games, but comparing the two is a bit of a stretch. While UU was at heart a true-3D game with a complex physics engine (the first real-time 3D game that wasn't a flight sim), I felt M&M simply jumped on the 3D bandwagon to use it as a bullet point. Wizardry 8 did a much better job making the leap from 2.5D to 3D.

The best thing about M&M 7+8 was that great card game. It helped to make up for the puzzle element lost by the move to 3D. In the earlier games, the step-based movement presented more opportunities for puzzles, and after mapping a level you would sometimes be rewarded with hidden words/clues; In one case, the whole map formed a large crossword puzzle… One of the best levels ever.

Back
Top Bottom