Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread - Page 11 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Pathfinder: Kingmaker » Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread

Default Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread

October 11th, 2018, 20:16
Originally Posted by Cacheperl View Post
But when several quests with some "oh, and hurry." comment, what am I expected to do? There's simply not enough information to set priorities.
You have to make decisions on them. Some of the lesser quests might not be as important if some big, bad thing is happening. It's the way of the baron, choices must be made and time is key. You have to be careful how much you spend resting and doing kingdom activities and balance that with exploring.
TheRealFluent is offline

TheRealFluent

TheRealFluent's Avatar
H.O.O. Inquisitor

#201

Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1,376
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

Default 

October 11th, 2018, 20:32
Which just means that decisions come down to random guessing. Maybe that's quite realistic.

I kinda would like less realism in that case. The time limits are frustrating.
Cacheperl is offline

Cacheperl

Cacheperl's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#202

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,811
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Default 

October 11th, 2018, 20:40
You might have a couple of issues that you have to resolve simultaneously, but I've never been seriously pressed for time as of yet. When you have weeks or months to address the problems, I've found that to be more than sufficient, at least so far.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#203

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ormond Beach, FL.
Posts: 10,542
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

Default 

October 11th, 2018, 20:46
The problem is: You never know whether you should feel pressed. The game does not give that information. That's the thing about hidden time outs. Hence my question.

One example: I received the quest Lost Brother, one week before I was able to travel into the area where it is supposed to be solved. And it seems to fail shortly after that.

That's an inconsequential quest, but companion and main quests also frequently have those kind of limits. You do not even get an approximation of the allowed time.
Cacheperl is offline

Cacheperl

Cacheperl's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#204

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,811
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Default 

October 11th, 2018, 21:17
Originally Posted by Cacheperl View Post
Oh man… is there a list somewhere with all quests and their hidden time limits? This is kind of annoying.
I thought only the main quest in each chapter is timed? For chapter 1 - Stag's lord. For chapter 2 - The ancient curse part 1 to 2. For chapter 3 - the ancient curse part 3 to 4. That's as far as I got so far.

The kingdom starts to crumble roughly about a month before each curse starts (timer runs out), so be sure to be back at your capital day or so before new month begins when timer is close to 30 days
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley
purpleblob is offline

purpleblob

purpleblob's Avatar
Princess

#205

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,816
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)

Default 

October 11th, 2018, 21:34
Originally Posted by Cacheperl View Post
The problem is: You never know whether you should feel pressed. The game does not give that information. That's the thing about hidden time outs. Hence my question.

One example: I received the quest Lost Brother, one week before I was able to travel into the area where it is supposed to be solved. And it seems to fail shortly after that.

That's an inconsequential quest, but companion and main quests also frequently have those kind of limits. You do not even get an approximation of the allowed time.
Only main quests have hard timers. Some companion quests do, too, but it's up to you to manage that. I haven't failed any companion quests due to time limits all the way up to Chapter 3, or really any other timed quest yet. What I did discover and what caught me off guard was that each chapter is timed, so it's important to act on that, first. And if you failed a quest that you say yourself is inconsequential, it's no big deal. But I received that quest and waited months, found the brother and still had the option to return the news to the other brother, so I didn't notice that one failing. But in my game
Spoiler
, which was probably time related.

And to be fair, he does say he vanished so it's probably pretty important. Same as when the child disappears. They won't live forever like in other RPGs, you have to prioritize the most important ones (to you).
TheRealFluent is offline

TheRealFluent

TheRealFluent's Avatar
H.O.O. Inquisitor

#206

Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1,376
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

Default 

October 11th, 2018, 22:09
Nearly all major quests are timed, but only the curses have a visible timer. At least some companion quests, and some (one?) artisan quests also seem to be timed. And some of the "unrelated" side quests are also timed. (I am getting a bit obsessive about this. Which is exactly why I hate time limits. And this game has loads of those.)

Originally Posted by TheRealFluent View Post
But I received that quest and waited months, found the brother and still had the option to return the news to the other brother, so I didn't notice that one failing.
The brother was also dead for me. But it failed because the quest giver left my capital earlier, maybe two weeks after receiving the quest. It's an event where he basically just says goodbye to the baron. It's odd that this did not happen for you. Maybe there's some other variables that matter, like the status of the main quests or some kingdom stat.
Cacheperl is offline

Cacheperl

Cacheperl's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#207

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,811
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Default 

October 11th, 2018, 22:13
Originally Posted by Cacheperl View Post
Nearly all major quests are timed, but only the curses have a visible timer. At least some companion quests, and some artisan quests also seem to be timed. And some of the "unrelated" side quests are also timed.



The brother was also dead for me. But it failed because the quest giver left my capital earlier, maybe two weeks after receiving the quest. It's an event where he basically just says goodbye to the baron. It's odd that this did not happen for you. Maybe there's some other variables that matter, like the status of the main quests or some kingdom stat.
I know there's a lot going on behind the scenes so who knows. But I seemed to be able to complete it still, but I didn't have time to go back and deliver the news. This is where I truly discovered how you have to heed the warnings of your advisors and urgent warnings. And yes, most quests are timed, but not all. Main quests for sure, some companion quests (although I didn't notice which ones for sure were timed except a couple, the ones that seemed more urgent I found out were timed), and didn't run into any other problems because I usually did something at the kingdom then took a few days to adventure and do quests. And I tried to adventure in the region where the quest areas were together to do a few at a time.
TheRealFluent is offline

TheRealFluent

TheRealFluent's Avatar
H.O.O. Inquisitor

#208

Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1,376
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

Default 

October 11th, 2018, 22:53
I found the guy dead too - don't think anyone can find him alive. But the quest giver stayed in my kingdom and provided me with further quest. Yeah, could be the state of kingdom. Interesting
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley
purpleblob is offline

purpleblob

purpleblob's Avatar
Princess

#209

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,816
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)

Default 

October 11th, 2018, 22:55
Tip: If you return to the capital after Vordakais tomb, make sure your party is rested.

My party was dead tired, including Amiri, who left for the fight with the barbarians… and when I meet her a few days later: still tired. No way to fix it. And she has to run solo for the quest. Now I'll probably have to reload at least 2 hours old save, unless I manage to somehow cheat/cheese my way through the barbarian camp. Gnnnh.
Cacheperl is offline

Cacheperl

Cacheperl's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#210

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,811
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Default 

October 11th, 2018, 22:58
Btw one of the cooking receipe slows down travel fatigue. It was called cheese crostata
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley
Last edited by purpleblob; October 11th, 2018 at 23:09.
purpleblob is offline

purpleblob

purpleblob's Avatar
Princess

#211

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,816
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)

Default 

October 12th, 2018, 00:21
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
Btw one of the cooking receipe slows down travel fatigue. It was called cheese crostata
That's a great tip. I wish the recipes showed what they did.
TheRealFluent is offline

TheRealFluent

TheRealFluent's Avatar
H.O.O. Inquisitor

#212

Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1,376
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

Default 

October 12th, 2018, 00:21
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
I found the guy dead too - don't think anyone can find him alive. But the quest giver stayed in my kingdom and provided me with further quest. Yeah, could be the state of kingdom. Interesting
There's so many intricate behind the scenes mechanics, it's really something. It's a very complex game and we probably don't even know the half of it, lol.
TheRealFluent is offline

TheRealFluent

TheRealFluent's Avatar
H.O.O. Inquisitor

#213

Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1,376
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

Default 

October 12th, 2018, 12:23
Here's the list of food buffs that I know of:
Haggis: +1 bonus on all savings throw for a day (Harrim's favourite)
Onion soup: +1 bonus on all savings throw for a day (Jubilost's favourite)
Shepherd's pie: +1 bonus on all savings throw for a day (Tristian's favourite)
Sweet pancakes: +5 bonus on movement speed for a day (Linzi's favourite)
Rice-n-nut pudding: +5 bonus on movement speed for a day (Octavia's favourite)
Jeweled rice: +5 bonus on movement speed for a day (Jaethal's favourite)
Seasoned wings and thighs: 1 temporary hit point per level for a day (Amiri's favaourite)
Succulent Sausage: 1 temporary hit point per level for a day (???'s favaourite)
Hunter's roast: 1 temporary hit point per level for a day (Ekundayo's favourite)
Galt ragout: reduces penalty from fighting defensively by half a day (Valerie's favourite)
Cheese crostata: +5 bonus to lore (religion) checks for a day (Harrim's favourite)
Grilled silver eel: +5 bonus to trickey checks for a day (Jubilost's favourite)
Chocolate ice cream: +5 bonus to knowledge (world) checks for a day (Linzi's favourite)
Owlbear omelet: +1 bonus on attack rolls for a day (Ekundayo's favourite)

I'm sure there are more recipes out there. Feel free to add to the list (or correct me if I'm wrong on any of above).

EDIT: I think "personal favourite" buff is different to general buff.. for example, cheese crostata reduces travel fatigue for everyone but for Harrim it also gives +5 bonus to lore (religion) check
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley
purpleblob is offline

purpleblob

purpleblob's Avatar
Princess

#214

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,816
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)

Default 

October 12th, 2018, 15:15
Question, if you solve main quests early, does that mean you "lose" time you could have used exploring because the timer for the next main quest will start immediately after the first?
Last edited by TomRon; October 12th, 2018 at 15:28.
TomRon is online now

TomRon

TomRon's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

#215

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3,036
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

Default 

October 12th, 2018, 15:34
As long as you don't "hand in" the quest, the chapter doesn't end and you can continue to explore. Just be sure to actually hand in the quest before the timer expires or you will lose the game.

E.g. After you kill Stag lord, the chapter 1 won't end until you inform Oleg and head to Restov.
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley
purpleblob is offline

purpleblob

purpleblob's Avatar
Princess

#216

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,816
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)

Default 

October 12th, 2018, 16:30
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
Here's the list of food buffs that I know of:
Haggis: +1 bonus on all savings throw for a day (Harrim's favourite)
Onion soup: +1 bonus on all savings throw for a day (Jubilost's favourite)
Shepherd's pie: +1 bonus on all savings throw for a day (Tristian's favourite)
Sweet pancakes: +5 bonus on movement speed for a day (Linzi's favourite)
Rice-n-nut pudding: +5 bonus on movement speed for a day (Octavia's favourite)
Jeweled rice: +5 bonus on movement speed for a day (Jaethal's favourite)
Seasoned wings and thighs: 1 temporary hit point per level for a day (Amiri's favaourite)
Succulent Sausage: 1 temporary hit point per level for a day (???'s favaourite)
Hunter's roast: 1 temporary hit point per level for a day (Ekundayo's favourite)
Galt ragout: reduces penalty from fighting defensively by half a day (Valerie's favourite)
Cheese crostata: +5 bonus to lore (religion) checks for a day (Harrim's favourite)
Grilled silver eel: +5 bonus to trickey checks for a day (Jubilost's favourite)
Chocolate ice cream: +5 bonus to knowledge (world) checks for a day (Linzi's favourite)
Owlbear omelet: +1 bonus on attack rolls for a day (Ekundayo's favourite)

I'm sure there are more recipes out there. Feel free to add to the list (or correct me if I'm wrong on any of above).

EDIT: I think "personal favourite" buff is different to general buff.. for example, cheese crostata reduces travel fatigue for everyone but for Harrim it also gives +5 bonus to lore (religion) check
Wow, those are good buffs and here I've been neglecting cooking. I usually hunt, camo and guard, but i'm going to have to start having linzi or someone cook this stuff up!
TheRealFluent is offline

TheRealFluent

TheRealFluent's Avatar
H.O.O. Inquisitor

#217

Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1,376
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

Default 

October 12th, 2018, 20:00
I'm a big fan of that succulent sausage recipe!!!
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#218

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ormond Beach, FL.
Posts: 10,542
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

Default 

October 13th, 2018, 15:31
Ok, in all honesty, timer is starting to annoy the hell out of me.

I just went through a massive rant session because of hidden timer for Ekun's personal quest. It was absolutely ridiculous.

Spoiler


TLDR: I wasted 2 hours to juggle everything to finish his bloody quest before the timer expired. Now I am paranoid who else will leave me due to this stupid hidden timers.
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley
purpleblob is offline

purpleblob

purpleblob's Avatar
Princess

#219

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,816
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)

Default 

October 13th, 2018, 16:05
Originally Posted by TheRealFluent View Post
That's a great tip. I wish the recipes showed what they did.
They sort of do, but it's borked at the moment. What you do is start the resting process, click on manage, select your recipe, click continue, then click manage again, now the tooltip of the selected recipe should update with the effects. Rinse and repeat until you memorize what each recipe does so you don't have to go through this nonsense again
emptyfortress is offline

emptyfortress

Watcher

#220

Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Pathfinder: Kingmaker » Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:18.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch