Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls - Releasing 15th January

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls will release on January 15th 2020.

Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls is coming to Windows PC on January 15 2020!

Steam:

Humble Bundle:

An old-school challenge in a crisp and colorful package, Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls revitalizes the time-honored formula of the original dungeon crawler series with modernized visuals and sound.

Choose each of your six team members' class, race, gender, and moral alignment, then delve into one of several dungeons near the central town hub. Advance with caution -- monsters are vicious, deadly, and attack in packs.

Plan each expedition carefully, stay focused on your objectives, and know when to retreat to the surface. In between expeditions, chat with the locals, pick up new quests, pray for guidance at the temple, go bargain-hunting for new/rare equipment, and more.

With patience, skill, and careful planning, your party will rise from a gang of paupers to a mighty force. The magic torches are lit, the monsters are ravenous, and the kingdom is waiting for a new hero. Enter the world of Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls and experience a classic adventure reborn.
More information.

Wow wtf that looks horrible. It's Japanese anime

Who cares about the graphics - a Wizardry game!

Exactly - I am intrigued, looks like that odd hybrid of RPG/JRPG that Wizardry has become, hopefully worth checking out!

"With patience, skill, and careful planning, " I determined this trash-heap is a vampiric attempt to free me of my money and precious life hours, so I immediately directed all Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls material into the spam folder, which is on auto-trash-dump.

This has "cheap" written all over it. The text area at the bottom covers the mimics!? In the advertising trailer!?!? That's not a graphics issue, that's an "I really don't care" issue. Stamping "Wizardry," "Ultima," or "Alternate Reality" on it isn't fooling me.

At this point, there are more Japanese-developed Wizardry titles than western ones. IIRC more than 30 titles, including the defunct Wizardry Online were all developed in Japan, with only a handful translated officially for English speaking audiences. Nearly every one is basically a spin on the first Wizardry title, with more detailed but still sparse graphics, and some having the expanded race selection of 6-8.

Now, I'm the first one to play more of the same if I like something, but as a non-fan of Wizardry, this is not going to buy me. This looks like a generic JRPG with a first person perspective and a Wizardry license. Now, Wizardry games were before my time and I never played them, except for Wizardry 8 which was great. Wizardry 8 is now an almost 20 year old game and it looks and feels way better than this.

One small jab at it: "Multiple resolutions and keyboard and mouse support". Wow... Advertising this as a selling point in a 2020 PC game... That's like advertising a car with "Has four wheels".

Wizardry One was among one of the very first games I ever played on a computer, so this will likely be a day one purchase for me. Bring all of the Wizardry games to great old games or steam, and I shall reward you with purchases!

One small jab at it: "Multiple resolutions and keyboard and mouse support". Wow… Advertising this as a selling point in a 2020 PC game… That's like advertising a car with "Has four wheels".

Some AAA titles like Dark Souls 3 didn't quite offer these "basic" things to PC players, though.

That said, the game does look like generic japanese first person dungeon crawler. The kind where the protagonist is female and loses her clothing when harmed. I'll pass.

Either you are in target group for such game and then you will appreciate it or you are not. There are numerous Wizardry titles that were developed and distributed in JP. It seems the audience exists even for games where m+k support is novelty. Live and let live I say ...

Some AAA titles like Dark Souls 3 didn't quite offer these "basic" things to PC players, though.

That said, the game does look like generic japanese first person dungeon crawler. The kind where the protagonist is female and loses her clothing when harmed. I'll pass.

Wouldnt be very surprised if light and juvenile looking facade covers ridiculously complex hard-core system which is fully uncovered to player not sooner then after 20 hours of gameplay. Its actually understandable why most people have no clue ...

What makes the title of a game appealing? If the title indicates that the same developers worked on a previous good game, or if the title indicates a continuation of an interesting story, then that would interest me.

But something which happens to have the same name of a great series of games from the distant past doesn't appeal to me from that standpoint, and the trailer didn't appeal to me.

Only interested if I can change the anime character portraits?

"The PC remaster of this classic originally released for PlayStation 3... with original Japanese voiceovers..."
SPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAM

I don’t get the negativity but I guess I should these days. I played this a bit on ps3 and yes, its anime and you’ll have to read it but all the goodness of the wizardry depth and mechanics is there. So I’m pretty happy to see it come to PC. I feared when it didn’t happen earlier that it wasn’t going to.

If you’re a fan of wizardry and can get past the anime then there’s fun to be had.

Don't know if anyone played any of these and how they hold up as Wizardry games but I really cannot stomach the way it looks and the way it sounds. Those anime portraits and the music and sound effects are super annoying

Back
Top Bottom