Sui Generis: Exanima - Beta Arena Mode

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The arena mode for Exanima is now functioning:

New Arena Beta Branch (v 0.6.1.0)

So, the new arena mode is not quite complete yet, but we're almost there and it's quite functional, so we thought we'd provide it optionally in its current state.

This is an optional beta version of the game. To play it you must right click on Exanima in your library inside the Steam client, select properties, then betas and opt in.

Most of the planned features for the first iteration are implemented or almost, notably the following things are still incomplete:

• You cannot yet hire NPCs to fight with you or for you
  • Only some of the match types are implemented
  • Things like values, ranks and points still need adjustment
  • Some assets are incomplete, missing or placeholders
  • Many tweaks and ease-of-use enhancements to come
  • In case you missed the original post, here's the list of features we promised:
  • Persistent arena mode with progression
  • Create a main character who manages your affairs, but can also fight
  • Bid into matches and lose your bid or win more money
  • Numerous match types with varying participants and teams
  • Character and equipment rank system for match participants
  • Hire NPCs to participate in matches with you or for you
  • Recruit additional player characters to play
  • Shop for items using the money you earned
  • SKill progression for player and NPC characters
  • Permanent death. Rest characters who are seriously injured or risk their death
  • Procedural characters. There are always new characters to fight or hire
  • A variety of arenas for matches to take place in
  • Pugilism matches
There are numerous other improvements to the game in general. We've improved lighting and other effects, made optimisations, improved AI, fixed many issues and added many new items and nice little features.

[...]
Thank you for the info, Couch!

More information.

This is my biggest kickstarter regret and the main reason I've stopped backing above the minimum. This game is nothing like what was promised. It is a drunken combat simulator with horrible animations and there isn't a game here at all after all this time.
If I thought these kids had any money, I'd bleed them dry in a lawsuit :D

My early impression was that the design was overly ambitious, so it isn't really a surprise to me that they're just releasing an arena simulator. Perhaps they had unrealistic expectations about what they could accomplish? I was thinking they would eventually have to focus on some sort of sophisticated rogue-like, then evolve the system from there by adding social elements and a setting. Anyway, crowd-funding efforts by indies are inevitably going to be something of a gamble by the contributors.

This is my biggest kickstarter regret and the main reason I've stopped backing above the minimum. This game is nothing like what was promised. It is a drunken combat simulator with horrible animations and there isn't a game here at all after all this time.
I usually don't agree with you but this time I do. Since Sui Generis seems abandoned, or on the backburner years after it was funded on kickstarter in favor of this game.

This one was extremely fishy right from the get-go which is why I never backed it. Roughly $200K for a "team" of 5 people in western Europe…and they're going to make the game they described with that money? Also, delivery date May 2014? :lol: :lol:

Probably the 2nd fishiest KS project I recall looking at and seriously considering (#1 being After Reset).

I think both projects have the same problem that the devs vastly underestimated the necessary amount of workload.

They explained in their KS-updates, why Exanima is existing.
But if you complain now, you can be surprised by a maybe wonderful Sui Generis at some time in the future.
I loved the idea and the visual style of Sui Generis and i would back it again.

This had so many campaigns ... I don't even know what it is anymore

Sui Generis team still managed to build a graphically impressive engine I count as a nice achievement. Their character generator is awesome!

Well they failed to deliver a fun game, but a lot of other Kickstarter teams did a lot worse - CLANG - for example.

youre very right

They are making forward progress far better than most even if they've taken a ground up approach to do so in the hopes to not have the project crash and burn on a shaky foundation given the very(overly even) ambitious scope in the first place---if the meaty updates dry up, then that's the time to especially get concerned if radio silence follows....otherwise, well, this is akin to observing the construction of something gunning for a Wonder of the World where patience is key.

The drunken combat aspect has also faded quite a bit since the earliest days towards more fluid stylings from what I've seen here and there---which again makes sense considering it wasn't like they could just employ the Diablo III school of character attack animations and call it a day.

They are making forward progress far better than most even if they've taken a ground up approach to do so in the hopes to not have the project crash and burn on a shaky foundation given the very(overly even) ambitious scope in the first place---if the meaty updates dry up, then that's the time to especially get concerned if radio silence follows….otherwise, well, this is akin to observing the construction of something gunning for a Wonder of the World where patience is key.

They must have run out of funds long ago. Hopefully they will get at least some income from this release.

They must have run out of funds long ago. Hopefully they will get at least some income from this release.
Na, you never know if Kickstarter was their only source of funding.

You never know if they even need money to begin with. Maybe the creator(s) are independently wealthy and just do this because it's what they want to do, maybe they live with family and everything is already paid for, etc etc. There's so many possible situations that it isn't worth speculating over.

But the Kickstarters themselves should explain the situation. Sui Generis asked for approx $200K which is a drop in the bucket for creating the game they described, in western Europe. So without further explanation of all the financial issues (which that KS didn't have as far as I recall), the entire thing ends up looking extremely fishy.

I usually don't agree with you but this time I do. Since Sui Generis seems abandoned, or on the backburner years after it was funded on kickstarter in favor of this game.

Well thanks to you and RPGnut I will hold off on this. I have it in my wishlist and it certainly has positive reviews, but I trust my fellow Watchers.

This game is nothing like what was promised. It is a drunken combat simulator with horrible animations and there isn't a game here at all after all this time. :D

Hahahhaaahha , game has not been released yet. What has been released is a fully functional, very playable combat sim of Sui Generis to come. Just because YOU think it's a drunken sim doesn't make it so. It's merely your whiny opinion.

Ahahhahaha, really? You'd SUCK THEM DRY in a lawsuit huh tough guy? You purchased a lottery ticket and didn't win, now you threaten LAWSUITS? May all your childish fantasies be fulfilled in video games to prevent lawsuits from here forth

'YOU didn't make the game I WANTED now I will sue you in court BITCHES> " Hilariously pathetic of you.

Since Sui Generis seems abandoned, or on the backburner years after it was funded on kickstarter in favor of this game.

How's AFTER RESET shaping up these days? Abandoned? So obviously Sui Generis has NOT been abandoned based on this update, yet you support Vaporware games that are tech demos? Slick.

How's AFTER RESET shaping up these days? Abandoned? So obviously Sui Generis has NOT been abandoned based on this update, yet you support Vaporware games that are tech demos? Slick.
Welcome back Mr. Troll and say hello to my ignore list from now on.

Sure, something fishy with this devs since the very beginning. Because if you want to scam people all you have to do is create a $200k KS campaign and work in the game for more than 3 years, releasing updates, taking valuable user feedback, adding a whole game mode without extra cost…. Oh wait

There are countless better ways to scam people. If this team is slowly making real everything they promised and much more is because they are driven by passion and not interested in money. With each Exanima update Sui Generis is a step closer.

This arena update is the proof of what i am saying. It wasn't planned when exanima entered in EA, but many, many people requested a better arena. They decided to make it real because of that, and because it doesn't drives to far away too far from SG scope. It will be a great test platform for world economy, multiplayer features, NPC interactions and countless of other things needed for SG.

By the way, thrusting and hirelings were included in their public steam beta branch yesterday.

There's a pretty huge difference between "fishy" and "scam". You are the only person here using the word "scam" (or anything even similar to that word).

Fishy could just mean we suspect it'll never be released, or at least not as what was advertised. That does not make it a scam. Or perhaps we wonder precisely how it will be finished as advertised, given that $200K would be nowhere near what's needed to produce this sort of game normally. It's also worth noting that the game is already almost 2 years late (compared to Kickstarter "estimated delivery") and seems to be nowhere near completion.

Back
Top Bottom