Warhammer Quest - TBS For iPhone and iPad

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Games Workshop and Rodeo Games have a new Warhammer game that just came out for iOS. Warhammer Quest for iOS is aiming to bring back the basic ideas of dungeon crawling and RPG elements.

Dungeon Adventures in the Warhammer World!

Lead your group of brave adventurers through the perilous dungeons of the Warhammer world in the search for wealth and glory!

Based on the classic board game, Warhammer Quest is an addictive mix of role-playing and strategy. Level up your party of heroes. Loot weapons, armour and mysterious artefacts from fallen enemies. Crush orcs, goblins, trolls and more ferocious enemies!
More information.

Well I love the board game!

Daniel.

Warhammer. Hell, yeah! Thank Sigmar.

Quest. Hells, yeah!! Waaaaaagh! ("Quest" here signifying the mix of RPG stuffies with strategy, turn-based combat, etc.)

For iOS. Oh shi…! :furious:
There is another Warhammer game for the pc also. It's not from Relic or Creative though so I can't vouch for quality.

It's a pretty good adaptation of the board game, with some extra stuff thrown in. The Ipad and it's touch screen controls are generally extremely well suited to simulating board and card games so something like this is definitely playing to it's strengths.

Since I am new to the tablet world I am not sure about the answer to my question so here goes:
Is this game playable on a android tablet?

Not at the moment it's iPad/iPhone only.

Do they say anything about plans to release on Android? As I am borderline ridicoulously anti-Apple I can't very well buy an Ipad to play this...hmm, maybe I can borrow one and play when no one is watching. Wouldn't wanna ruin my rep. ;)

Do they say anything about plans to release on Android? As I am borderline ridicoulously anti-Apple I can't very well buy an Ipad to play this…hmm, maybe I can borrow one and play when no one is watching. Wouldn't wanna ruin my rep. ;)

I don't let my anti-apple leanings interfere with my well being and fun. I can still buy their stuff and call them a scummy company.

However, Warhammer sure would be nice on my Galaxy S-4.

Pity it needs iOS 6.0 - iOS 6.0 does not support my first generation iPad.

Zzzzzz iOS only. So crap, hate studios who only develop for closed systems.

That Apple also sensors/bans games, like Endgame: Syria. Makes me just want to put all iOS systems, in a place where the sun never shines.

considering there are far more Android devices (even if they buy less apps per person), I think the days of releasing only or first for iOS are counted.

Pity it needs iOS 6.0 - iOS 6.0 does not support my first generation iPad.

I have an ipad1 also and even though they say in the specs it supports "ipad" the need for iOS6 tells me the game is not for ipad1.

Oh well, I do plan on getting the new ipad when it comes out but I got a ton of games on my backlog and a ton of games starting to trickle in from Kickstarter. So no hurry here. It Might even be out on Android by the time I upgrade my ipad.

Actually, it's not that great. I was looking forward to a WH-based tactical game but while it is fun to play it has some serious shortcomings:

- No actual dice rolls are shown (I assume, the board game uses dice), so I have no idea what a +1 strength or -1 toughness actually does.
- Hero selection is limited. You can buy additional heroes for ~2.70€ each, which is quite steep.
- Quests are mostly boring and repetitive, walk around in the dungeon, wait for the final room, kill the boss monster.
- Monsters are very limited so far (four out of nine main quests done), it's always the same bat/rat/spider, goblin/gobbo archer or orc/orc archer.
- Whoever came up with the idea to turn the device to access the inventory should be forced to actually play the game. Horrible decision.
- Limited tactical decisions. The turn structure is always the same (move, then attack) and there are no action pips like in Hunters.
- Little information is given for abilities or items. Some items say "Chance to block/trip/slam/etc." but what this chance actually is is nowhere to be found.

Don't get me wrong, I like playing the game, it's just that it could have been a better game. As it is now it is just a nice and very casual game without much depth.

Yeah ultimately it's a pretty good game, but it's not a great game. It's important to understand that it's an adaption of a popular board game, and so it plays like a board game and not like a traditional RPG. Documentation is poor, but for the many people who are familiar with the original game, that isn't such a big deal.

Tactical options do increase as your characters gain items and abilities, however some more variety would be greatly appreciated. I remember the board game having a lot more "stuff".

Ultimately it's a fun and well made game but it still has a lot of room for improvement.

Actually, it's not that great. I was looking forward to a WH-based tactical game but while it is fun to play it has some serious shortcomings:

- No actual dice rolls are shown (I assume, the board game uses dice), so I have no idea what a +1 strength or -1 toughness actually does.
- Hero selection is limited. You can buy additional heroes for ~2.70€ each, which is quite steep.
- Quests are mostly boring and repetitive, walk around in the dungeon, wait for the final room, kill the boss monster.
- Monsters are very limited so far (four out of nine main quests done), it's always the same bat/rat/spider, goblin/gobbo archer or orc/orc archer.
- Whoever came up with the idea to turn the device to access the inventory should be forced to actually play the game. Horrible decision.
- Limited tactical decisions. The turn structure is always the same (move, then attack) and there are no action pips like in Hunters.
- Little information is given for abilities or items. Some items say "Chance to block/trip/slam/etc." but what this chance actually is is nowhere to be found.

Don't get me wrong, I like playing the game, it's just that it could have been a better game. As it is now it is just a nice and very casual game without much depth.

It looks like they limited the game to the one game session the board game comes with.

Since I still play the board game on a fairly regular basis, this video game offers nothing.

It looks like they limited the game to the one game session the board game comes with.

Since I still play the board game on a fairly regular basis, this video game offers nothing.

Looks perfect to me. I have no board game partners and love the computer board games available on the Ipad. Poor substitution for real players, but hey, I'm an CRPGer, so I'm used to that.

You can explore dungeons solo. Check the manual. The game also scales properly when you divide the number of warriors in your party. With a few home rules, you can even play with only one warrior.
Hope it helps.

Couchpotato said:
There is another Warhammer game for the pc also. It's not from Relic or Creative though so I can't vouch for quality.
Ah, but that's 40k, not Warhammer Fantasy. It also seems to be a strategy game and not an RPG, like I first thought Warhammer Quest would have been (even if "RPG lite" only). Not that there's anything wrong with strategy games. I used to enjoy Dawn of War 1 quite a lot (up to Dark Crusade). But regardless, I wouldn't heap too much praise on Relic, considering how they fumbled the Dawn of War series with DoW 2. I hated nearly everything they changed and did for that. Also, another less-than-stellar mark on Relic's resume, IMO, is the Space Marine shooter, which I suffered through purely due to being a Warhammer fanboy. It wasn't a total disaster, like DoW 2 was for me, but none-the-less a major disappointment. As hard as it is to admit, even chainswording Orks does get old after a few hundred executions…
Cantello said:
Well, for those points alone, I can see this wouldn't have interested me, had I even had an iPad. Shame, really. We're long overdue for a proper Warhammer Fantasy game! Hell, I'd settle for a proper 40k game even, but the game linked to above seems to be a grand(ish) strategy title, which I'm not too keen of (for grand stategy I prefer historical scenarios, not fantasy/sci-fi ones). The new Space Hulk game in the development might be fun, we'll see, but an RPG is what I'm really hoping for. The PnP RPG books for 40k (by Fantasy Flight) are selling like hotcakes, how come nobody's taken a hint from that yet?!

Zzzzzz iOS only. So crap, hate studios who only develop for closed systems.

considering there are far more Android devices (even if they buy less apps per person), I think the days of releasing only or first for iOS are counted.

So long as iOS accounts for >75% of app store revenue .... particularly with a smaller market share, you would be incorrect. Android = give it for free or it gets pirated. Sad but true.

Back
Top Bottom