Favorite first-person shooters

Interesting…

Does the original have some RPG stuff in it? Would you recommend starting with the original? I generally do that in RPG series. I'd only see myself possibly skipping SS if SS2 had a lot more interesting RPG mechanics, but maybe you think the innovation and level design in SS makes up for a possible lack of those… ?

Thanks for the info.

Yes, SS2 has quite a few RPG elements. It's a true hybrid.

I can't quite find myself in a role where I recommend skipping System Shock, though. I mean, it's one of my top-3 games of all time.

I just want to be honest and say that the second game has aged much better - and if you're looking for RPG elements, then it has a lot more of those.

But SS1 is a fantastic game if you can stomach the archaic visuals and clunky interface.

Also, if you're interested in the history and evolution of gaming - it's among the most interesting of all time. It ranks very, very high in terms of taking things forward - back when that was still a thing that happened on occasion.

Has anyone played the new Call of Duty yet? I normally don't pay much attention to that franchise, but I see they've returned to their WWII roots with this one. I quite enjoyed the original CoD and its expansion.

How about Dark Messiah of might and magic? No one said that yet! :)

Not sure if I'd consider that a "shooter", but I enjoyed it. I remember it ran like crap even on high-end hardware when it was released though.

My gaming life started (post ZX Spectrum that is) with Wolfenstein, Doom 1/2, Quake and UT99. UT99 was the one and only time I played competitively in a clan. Enemy Territory was the last time I played and enjoyed online gaming. So all of those games were huge for me but Half-Life was a game changer as it had an actual story all be it minimal. Deus Ex and SS2 introduced me to the RPG hybrid and these days I have no interest in shooting for shooting's sake.

Interestingly the game that brought me to the watch originally was Boiling Point. I'm a sucker for ambitious games and that game was a beautiful broken mess but I loved it even so.

Ultimately I think the Stalker games are my favourites to this day. Even the second game was enjoyable (bar a poor start and end) and the modding community for these games is staggering. You have Lost Alpha for the first game which is a massive undertaking restoring all the content/locations the developers couldn't include and adding more. Then you have Call of Chernobyl which does the same thing for the third game. I'm amazed more games like Stalker have not been made since and I was crushed when Stalker 2 was cancelled only to have to it resurrected as a MMO (Survarium). Ugh.

Stalker games have an almost RPG feel to them. It's purely gear based but you feel a progression as you find better armour and weapons as you wander the Zone and the gun play is fantastic. Especially with some carefully chosen mods to add more realism (ballistics, damage etc.). Not to mention that atmosphere.

My gaming life started (post ZX Spectrum that is) with Wolfenstein, Doom 1/2, Quake and UT99. UT99 was the one and only time I played competitively in a clan. Enemy Territory was the last time I played and enjoyed online gaming. So all of those games were huge for me but Half-Life was a game changer as it had an actual story all be it minimal. Deus Ex and SS2 introduced me to the RPG hybrid and these days I have no interest in shooting for shooting's sake.
When using timeline for me it would be:
- Pathway Into Darkness (hugely better than Wolfenstein but certainly Mac only),
- Doom (blew up anything),
- Marathon (huge, I could admit that System Shock was a bit superior, but Marathon had modern shooter controls on start this making its gameplay much superior),
- Doom 2 + ton of wads + Marathon 2 + Marathon Infinity
- Aliens vs. Predator on Jaguar, yep I'm one of the ten proud owners of the console, at least it had one great game, this one. :)
- Dark Forces, clearly more sophisticated, but it's not at same level than was games as Marathon and System Shock.
- Po'ed on 3DO, yep one of the 100 proud owners of the console, ha well this one got multiple great games including an amazing version of Wing Commander and Po'ed.
- Then Duke Nukem 3D was really huge for its time and before Quake single player it's this one that made Doom 1&2 look really dated. Dark Forces did it before but not as much.
- Some meh like Quake and Unreal.
- Then UT and Q3A, that was huge. Quake was for me a disappointment in single player, and for MP I played more Doom 1 and DN3D. But then came UT and Q3A, single player Q3A was much better, but both are MP games and for that UT blew up Q3A.
- Doom 3 that alas sort of killed my computer of this time, but for me it was a great one, and I never shared the negativity around it.
- Enemy Territory: Quake Wars and had a lot of fun single player, but SP had a limit with such game, alas. So tried MP and it was great but I was really needing to play better and I didn't bother try.
- Then bye shooters and I played some much later than their release, for the most noteworthy late plays: Prey (original), Half-Life 1&2, Far Cry, System Shock 2
- Then I tried again play shooters, but modern shooters aren't my cup of thea at all, I would really need a gameplay coming back to true dodging. It's up to the point that beside few very rare exceptions, for me ME series has a quite better shooting gameplay than almost all modern shooters.
- From this period I would quote: Mass Effect 2&3, EYE Divine Cybermancy, Duke Nukem Forever, Serious Sam 3, Borderlands 2, Far Cry 3, and MEA.

Now a list, single player perspective only:
1. Doom 1&2 and thousands of wads and 3 years of play
2. Marathon
3. Mass Effect 3
4. Po'ed
5. EYE Divine Cybermancy
6. Mass Effect 2
7. Mass Effect Andromeda
8. Far Cry 3 (even if I admit Far Cry has a quite more sophisticated and diversified gameplay)
9. Half-life 2
10. Far Cry
11. Prey (original)

Back
Top Bottom