|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Parsec is damned impressive

Default Parsec is damned impressive

July 7th, 2018, 14:21
If you thought Steam or Moonlight streaming was good - you ain't seen nothing yet.

That is all
Darth Tagnan is offline

Darth Tagnan

Darth Tagnan's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#1

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,336
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Default 

July 7th, 2018, 14:27
Originally Posted by Darth Tagnan View Post
If you thought Steam or Moonlight streaming was good - you ain't seen nothing yet.

That is all
Yes just what we need another streaming service to play games.

Link - https://parsecgaming.com/

I remember a few others that failed so we'll see.
--
"Haga Berka Gopa Unama Innrev " - Trump Minion #1

Translation: "Make America great again Donald"
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Trump Minion #1

#2

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: TrumpLand
Posts: 16,939
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 7th, 2018, 14:29
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Yes just what we need another streaming service to play games.

Link - https://parsecgaming.com/

I remember a few others that failed so we'll see.
You do understand that this is for streaming privately and non-commercially, right?
Darth Tagnan is offline

Darth Tagnan

Darth Tagnan's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#3

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,336
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Default 

July 7th, 2018, 14:32
Originally Posted by Darth Tagnan View Post
You do understand that this is for streaming privately and non-commercially, right?
Yes but I'll still wait to see if it catches on.

I have zero interest in this but I know a few other friends/family that might.
--
"Haga Berka Gopa Unama Innrev " - Trump Minion #1

Translation: "Make America great again Donald"
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Trump Minion #1

#4

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: TrumpLand
Posts: 16,939
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Default 

July 7th, 2018, 14:32
I'm not sure I understand your point, but whatever
Darth Tagnan is offline

Darth Tagnan

Darth Tagnan's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#5

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,336
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Default 

July 7th, 2018, 14:35
Originally Posted by Darth Tagnan View Post
I'm not sure I understand your point, but whatever
It's called I'm tired and writing nonsense.

As I realized it was a free App after typing my first response.
--
"Haga Berka Gopa Unama Innrev " - Trump Minion #1

Translation: "Make America great again Donald"
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Trump Minion #1

#6

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: TrumpLand
Posts: 16,939
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Default 

July 7th, 2018, 14:37
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
It's called I'm tired and writing nonsense.

As I realized it was a free App after typing my first response.
Your honesty gets you off the Darth hook
Darth Tagnan is offline

Darth Tagnan

Darth Tagnan's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#7

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,336
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Default 

July 7th, 2018, 15:44
Originally Posted by Darth Tagnan View Post
You do understand that this is for streaming privately and non-commercially, right?
That doesn't matter. Benign or malign, a tumor is still cancer.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#8

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,113
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)

Default 

July 7th, 2018, 16:33
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
That doesn't matter. Benign or malign, a tumor is still cancer.
tl;dr; information from pibbur that you didn't ask for
tl;dr2;typically pibbur

Sorry, but I have to correct you there. Only malignant tumors are cancer, because only malignant tumors can invade other tissues and therefore metastasize. Admittedly a benign tumor can turn malignant (tumors of the parotid gland, tumors in the lower intestine), and for some tumors the difference between a malignant and a benign tumor is of lesser clinical importance (tumors of the brain). There are also cancers that develop very slowly with only local invasion of tissues and therefor are mostly harmless (basaliomas of the skin and most prostatic cancers).

pibbur who thinks he contributed as much as the potato to the thread, however by using far more words.

PS: Not interested in streaming, but for once I'll take a look. DS.
--
d++a63e++TU4567'!S'!89!A!WM!LuC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++

1. The cat is alive! And pissed!!!
2. It's been 82 years. The cat is dead, and the stench is unbearable!!!
pibbur who is offline

pibbur who

pibbur who's Avatar
Number 14
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#9

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bergen, Norway
Posts: 3,392
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 7th, 2018, 16:36
I admit my mistake, will rephrase it in some next streaming thread to preserve the point without incorrect terms use.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#10

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,113
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)

Default 

July 7th, 2018, 16:51
Originally Posted by pibbur who View Post
tl;dr; information from pibbur that you didn't ask for
tl;dr2;typically pibbur

Sorry, but I have to correct you there. Only malignant tumors are cancer, because only malignant tumors can invade other tissues and therefore metastasize. Admittedly a benign tumor can turn malignant (tumors of the parotid gland, tumors in the lower intestine), and for some tumors the difference between a malignant and a benign tumor is of lesser clinical importance (tumors of the brain). There are also cancers that develop very slowly with only local invasion of tissues and therefor are mostly harmless (basaliomas of the skin and most prostatic cancers).

pibbur who thinks he contributed as much as the potato to the thread, however by using far more words.

PS: Not interested in streaming, but for once I'll take a look. DS.
Parsec makes it possible to play local split-screen multiplayer games or, say, have cooperative sessions with games like Legend of Grimrock where one player controls movement and another controls the mouse - and you don't have to be in the same room together.

That's a new thing to me - and is great for my brother and myself, for instance. We live a long way from each other - so having this option is fantastic, as we really enjoy sharing singleplayer CRPGs - especially dungeon crawlers

The fact that it's also a superior streaming experience for traditional use - is just icing on the cake, really.
Darth Tagnan is offline

Darth Tagnan

Darth Tagnan's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#11

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,336
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Default 

July 7th, 2018, 18:21
I'm glad that some see a benefit, but for me I doubt I'd ever use it. Two platforms are quite sufficient for my needs.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#12

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, CA
Posts: 6,592
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Default 

July 7th, 2018, 18:45
The world that Ubisoft envisions, where games are all streamed as a service, is not something I'd look forward to.

But, high-quality streaming from my maln PC is really interesting. If it really is near indistinguishable from a local connection, I could get a lot of use out of it, for gaming and other tasks that need the big PC. A connection to the living room would be very handy sometimes. I also have a little cabin in the garden that I want to use as an office/den (for working/not working). I wouldn't keep a good PC in there because of theft risk, but an old monitor and a Pi as a dumb terminal could be fine.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore
Ripper is online now

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Ngikufisela iwela

#13

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,253
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

Default 

July 7th, 2018, 18:49
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
The world that Ubisoft envisions, where games are all streamed as a service, is not something I'd look forward to.

But, high-quality streaming from my maln PC is really interesting. If it really is near indistinguishable from a local connection, I could get a lot of use out of it, for gaming and other tasks that need the big PC. A connection to the living room would be very handy sometimes. I also have a little cabin in the garden that I want to use as an office/den (for working/not working). I wouldn't keep a good PC in there because of theft risk, but an old monitor and a Pi as a dumb terminal could be fine.
I'm staying at my parents house right now, because they're away for a week and I've promised to look after stuff.

Like an idiot, I bought the wrong USB receiver for my Logitech keyboard - so I can't use my main PC for gaming.

But I brought my Surface Pro as well - and even with the shitty wireless connection I have here - I can stream Prey at 60 FPS from my main with absolutely no visual degradation of any kind - and extremely low latency for the mouse movement.

No sound issues of any kind, which is a first.

It's as close to playing on my real PC as I've tried when streaming - so far.

No idea how they're doing it - but it surpasses Steam, Moonlight and all the others I've tried so far.
Darth Tagnan is offline

Darth Tagnan

Darth Tagnan's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#14

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,336
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Default 

July 7th, 2018, 18:58
Impressive. I'll have to tinker with it. If it works that well for me, I'll be very pleased.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore
Ripper is online now

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Ngikufisela iwela

#15

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,253
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

Default 

July 7th, 2018, 19:00
So far, it has been smooth sailing. I've had no end of issues using other streaming services - but this just works.
Darth Tagnan is offline

Darth Tagnan

Darth Tagnan's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#16

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,336
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Default 

July 7th, 2018, 19:05
Yeah, I've never been very pleased with the previous efforts. I even got into the weeds with my network to see if something was amiss , but either I couldn't find the problem, or they just don't work as advertised. I'll be keen to see how this goes.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore
Ripper is online now

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Ngikufisela iwela

#17

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,253
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

Default 

July 7th, 2018, 19:06
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Yeah, I've never been very pleased with the previous efforts. I even got into the weeds with my network to see if something was amiss , but either I couldn't find the problem, or they just don't work as advertised. I'll be keen to see how this goes.
It's free and easy to set up.

Let me know your findings. I'm curious if I'm seeing things or if it really is that good

Of course, it's not exactly the same as playing on the host machine - but it's pretty much what I used to hope it might be.
Darth Tagnan is offline

Darth Tagnan

Darth Tagnan's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#18

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,336
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Default 

July 7th, 2018, 20:33
Did someone say streaming? I can't believe ChienAboyeur hasn't shown up yet.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#19

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 24,913
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 7th, 2018, 22:57
Originally Posted by Darth Tagnan View Post
I'm staying at my parents house right now, because they're away for a week and I've promised to look after stuff.

Like an idiot, I bought the wrong USB receiver for my Logitech keyboard - so I can't use my main PC for gaming.

But I brought my Surface Pro as well - and even with the shitty wireless connection I have here - I can stream Prey at 60 FPS from my main with absolutely no visual degradation of any kind - and extremely low latency for the mouse movement.

No sound issues of any kind, which is a first.

It's as close to playing on my real PC as I've tried when streaming - so far.

No idea how they're doing it - but it surpasses Steam, Moonlight and all the others I've tried so far.
Very interesting. I have an Surface Pro as well. Never thought of streaming from my floortop to it. Will definitely try that.

Thanks darth.

pibbur who learned two things today.
--
d++a63e++TU4567'!S'!89!A!WM!LuC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++

1. The cat is alive! And pissed!!!
2. It's been 82 years. The cat is dead, and the stench is unbearable!!!
pibbur who is offline

pibbur who

pibbur who's Avatar
Number 14
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#20

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bergen, Norway
Posts: 3,392
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Parsec is damned impressive
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:44.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch