Sui Generis: Exanima - Available on Early Access

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Sui Generis: Exanima is a top-down dungeon crawler game that is a prelude to the Kickstarter funded Sui Generis has just launched on Steam’s Early Access today.

Explore, fight, survive and unravel mysteries in this unique and unforgiving 3D isometric RPG set in an original dark, low fantasy world. Exanima's exceptional attention to detail and realistic simulation of all things aim to provide a deeply immersive and dynamic gameplay experience.

Features include a deep skill based combat system, complex and smart AI, fully interactive environments, an advanced damage model with accurate collisions and locational protection, roguelike elements and an arena mode to hone your combat skills.
More information.

Well, the engine seems kind of neat, though I only messed around with it for five minutes. I made a fat old man (always appreciate when I can make fat characters) who quickly learned swinging a torch around like a drunkard was not much good against a guy with an axe. It's different and will take some getting used to, but on to a real game for now...

Definitely interested in this game. Definitely not joining EA. I like the idea and concept, but right now the combat looks more like a few drunkards duking it out, than meaningful sword-play. I will have to see how this turns out before considering buying it.

In defense of my computerized opponent, he didn't look like a drunkard at all. He went to town on me with that axe. :p

combat is messy
and also the adventure, moving around object, rotating and using them is not user friendly
i think its better if the character picked up the item first, and then you had the option to rotate it and stuff
Gedi stuff is a turn off, and the puzzles based on these mechanics are annoying without proper implementation

moving objects in combat is....questionable. Exactly how did he manage to get a table on top of hisenemy in combat, while holding a 2 handed weapon?

moving objects in combat is….questionable. Exactly how did he manage to get a table on top of hisenemy in combat, while holding a 2 handed weapon?

Questionable how? Telekinesis is where you draw the line? What about shooting fireballs out of your hands :p

I doubt this telekinesis is somehow rooted in the lore, contrary to shooting fireballs which normally is.

I'm intrigued. I like the physics and wacky stuff that can happen during combat, from what I've seen. I'm more interested in the full game with above ground areas, when it's finished - Sui Generis - hopefully there will be NPCs and good exploration, not just combat.

This is almost identical feedback to what Tresspaser received back in 1998. Physics does not make a game.

World of goo, and many others would disagree. But I get what you're saying. The control interface needs to be near perfect in a game like this. Hope they get it worked out quickly. Looking forward to the main game.

A new combat strategy not seen very often.Running away!
May the plus 1 cross training shoes drop often for all.

Still waiting for something that isn't a combat simulator. More than ready to see quests, dialogues, villages, etc. If someone would like to look at this, I have a spare key. Note, I may not be back on till tomorrow morning though....RPGWatch is my working hours hobby :D

Questionable how? Telekinesis is where you draw the line? What about shooting fireballs out of your hands :p

I did not know there was telekinesis in the game so thanks for the info. I thought click drag was simply the way to move things in the game and represented the character doing so with his hands.

It looks kind of interesting, but I've missed a lot of the press on this game...

What happened to outside/external environments (as shown in the early alpha footage)? Is that still gonna be a part of things, or is this one a strictly subterranean thing?

What happened to outside/external environments (as shown in the early alpha footage)? Is that still gonna be a part of things, or is this one a strictly subterranean thing?
Well based on current information Sui Generis is still an open world game. Think of this game as a spin-off to introduce players to the setting, and to raise more funding.
Exanima is born as a prelude to Sui Generis (SG), our ambitious open world RPG that has been in development for over two years following a successful Kickstarter campaign. Exanima is a smaller yet complete game in its own right, a dungeon crawler that takes place in SG's Underworld some twenty years prior to its events. Both games are being developed in concert, many of SG's more ambitious features will make an appearance in Exanima as development continues.

Back
Top Bottom