Tax on internet usage ???? - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Tax on internet usage ????

Default Tax on internet usage ????

July 4th, 2018, 09:52
So this was erroneously posted in 'gaming bs' by joxer but I thought i would move it here to post my comment:

--
Kinda no, but in fact is.
https://torrentfreak.com/uganda-to-bia-tax-180702/

Uganda has new tax:
Starting yesterday, thats now the reality in Uganda after the authorities introduced a controversial tax on people using dozens of Internet services including Facebook, Whatsapp, Twitter, and Instagram.

Passed in May by the Ugandan parliament, the legislation requires local Internet service providers to block a wide range of social media and telecoms platforms until subscribers pay a flat fee of 200 shillings (US$0.051) per day.
--
This to me is incredible. A tax to visit certain sites? Would this be equivalent to a tax to text or a tax to walk across the street or a tax to play board game? I mean I suppose this might be a target simply because it is 'easy' to implement but I don't understand the logic - no money is changing hands between the consumer and the website and there is no value associated with people who use social media vs wiki (yes the companies make money but not the consumer).
-
My guess is the tax is done to discourage the use of these services but it still seems kind of odd to myself (btw no clue how much value $1.5 is for someone living in ugandia - naturally in the us it is less then the govt tax for phone service).
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#1

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - no longer boston
Posts: 7,758
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)

Default 

July 4th, 2018, 10:19
Hope this doesn't catch on in the US given how everything is taxed nowadays. Given that we all have to pay internet sales taxes now, and other bizarre taxes it might.
--
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." & "What is the secret to eternal happiness? To not argue with fools."
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Armchair Contrarian

#2

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Failed Nation States of America
Posts: 27,303
Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 4th, 2018, 11:53
Well in the US it wouldn't be a tax; with fcc repeal of net neutrality we could see at&t charging for netflix access and comcast charging for amazon access
-
No I don't see this happening tomorrow but it could….


Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Hope this doesn't catch on in the US given how everything is taxed nowadays. Given that we all have to pay internet sales taxes now, and other bizarre taxes it might.
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#3

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - no longer boston
Posts: 7,758
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)

Default 

July 4th, 2018, 11:58
Capitalism will find a way

Darth Tagnan

Guest

#4

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

July 4th, 2018, 12:04
Ugandian tax is not on internet usage but is tax on social networks addiction. Those who don't use social networks don't have to pay anything.
I wish everyone had that because accessing Facebook through VPN avoids registering user's targetted site and this tax cannot apply on such user. If all countries in the world had that same tax on facebooks and twitters, VPNs couldn't help avoiding it.

USA doesn't need any such tax, Comcast already screws (and taxes) people after net neutrality went into a drain thanks to corrupted politicians there:
https://arstechnica.com/information-…or-hd-streams/
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#5

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,419
Mentioned: 223 Post(s)

Default 

July 4th, 2018, 12:10
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Ugandian tax is not on internet usage but is tax on social networks addiction. Those who don't use social networks don't have to pay anything.
I wish everyone had that because accessing Facebook through VPN avoids registering user's targetted site and this tax cannot apply on such user.

USA doesn't need any such tax, Comcast already screws (and taxes) people after net neutrality went into a drain thanks to corrupted politicians there:
https://arstechnica.com/information-…or-hd-streams/
Well look at what AT&T did after buying Time Warner after promising the judge.

Link - https://arstechnica.com/information-…-them-instead/

I'm getting tired of paying for increases and other taxes, and lets face the facts there is not much competition for Satellite, or cable anymore because of Comcast & AT&T.
--
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." & "What is the secret to eternal happiness? To not argue with fools."
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Armchair Contrarian

#6

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Failed Nation States of America
Posts: 27,303
Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 4th, 2018, 13:58
THat's not an internet tax that is a cellular tax; several companies have had those for a while but they frequently change based on market forces.

Originally Posted by joxer View Post
.

USA doesn't need any such tax, Comcast already screws (and taxes) people after net neutrality went into a drain thanks to corrupted politicians there:
https://arstechnica.com/information-…or-hd-streams/
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#7

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - no longer boston
Posts: 7,758
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)

Default 

July 4th, 2018, 14:06
It's interesting how corrupt politicians and businessmen always keep making up taxes to create more money for themselves out of thin air. Who exactly pockets all that social tax money in Uganda? Well, at least air is still free to breathe.
Elel is offline

Elel

Elel's Avatar
Devout Priestess of RPGs

#8

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Russia
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

July 4th, 2018, 14:46
True, they always find something to skin sheep.

In 2018. we can agree that internet access became a human right. Okay, we don't have to agree as everything good and bad is now there and societies existed without it, but in modern world it became as essential as water.
Some countries pulled out of human rights comittee though, so don't expect internet there will be discussed about when it comes to human rights.

Anyway… In most countries special taxes are applied on what's considered luxury. While internet today isn't luxury but a need and in many cases a necessity, it shouldn't be taxed. Or throttled.
Facebook however is luxury. You can live, communicate, remain informed and do business without it. Just as noone really needs alcohol to relax.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#9

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,419
Mentioned: 223 Post(s)

Default 

July 4th, 2018, 18:07
Originally Posted by Elel View Post
Who exactly pockets all that social tax money in Uganda? Well, at least air is still free to breathe.
For now…. we have the best socialist minds in the world trying to figure out the perfect carbon scheme tax. Of course we are going to add a social pressure element to the tax to make you seem like a guntoting backwards chainsmoking unemployed science skeptic hick planet hater if you question our fuzzy logic or disagree in any way.
--
How about all games have a single huge lootbox you pay for up front that contains all the options, items, skins, unlocks etc? I'd pay for that!!
Wisdom is offline

Wisdom

Wisdom's Avatar
Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#10

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,858
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

Default 

July 4th, 2018, 19:16
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
True, they always find something to skin sheep.

In 2018. we can agree that internet access became a human right. Okay, we don't have to agree as everything good and bad is now there and societies existed without it, but in modern world it became as essential as water.
Some countries pulled out of human rights comittee though, so don't expect internet there will be discussed about when it comes to human rights.
Internet access a human right, the internet, that tool that allows to monitor millions of people.
--
Backlog:0
ChienAboyeur is offline

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

#11

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,265
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

Default 

July 4th, 2018, 19:22
Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
Internet access a human right, the internet, that tool that allows to monitor millions of people.
To be fair, if you read history thats what they said about the telegraph, the telephone, cable services, metered electricity, and debit/credit cards.

Not saying you are wrong, but its not new.
Almost every amenity managed or regulated involves the trade of privacy or freedom for convenience.
--
How about all games have a single huge lootbox you pay for up front that contains all the options, items, skins, unlocks etc? I'd pay for that!!
Wisdom is offline

Wisdom

Wisdom's Avatar
Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#12

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,858
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 4th, 2018, 19:26
So the access to those services were supposed to be human rights.

It seems that calling the access to a service jeopardizing human rights a human right only appears weird to simple minded people.

Superior minded people as usual manage to fabricate their own version to bypass the weirdness.
--
Backlog:0
ChienAboyeur is offline

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

#13

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,265
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

Default 

July 4th, 2018, 19:32
Access to internet service is not imho a "human right". However, it is a strong arm tactic employed by some countries to disable or dissuade such access. Having said that there is a social problem with social networks that needs an answer. I don't have the answer but there is a real problem.
-
This is changing topics but the problem is that people are spurred by spontaneous action and social network do allow the spread of information (both true and false) at a pace faster than most people can digest and act in a reasonable manner. This has to do with the mob mentality. I don't have a fix for this issue other than people need to be better educated so they can think carefully and rationally.
-
End of digression.
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#14

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - no longer boston
Posts: 7,758
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 4th, 2018, 19:38
Egyptian riots are perfect example. The social media aspect aided the organization of the riots with incredible speed.
Even when interviewed a majority of respondents didnt really know why they were rioting, just that they were asked to respond to a major injustice and that was enough.
Is actually a fascinating case study which I'm sure is mirrored in many countries just not as analysed yet.
--
How about all games have a single huge lootbox you pay for up front that contains all the options, items, skins, unlocks etc? I'd pay for that!!
Wisdom is offline

Wisdom

Wisdom's Avatar
Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#15

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,858
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

Default 

July 4th, 2018, 19:39
Wherever in world you see some sort of censorship or blocking of social networks, you also see some sort of dictatorship.
Ivanwah is offline

Ivanwah

Keeper of the Watch

#16

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 816
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Default 

July 4th, 2018, 19:39
Also agreed, i see no solution.
--
How about all games have a single huge lootbox you pay for up front that contains all the options, items, skins, unlocks etc? I'd pay for that!!
Wisdom is offline

Wisdom

Wisdom's Avatar
Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#17

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,858
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

Default 

July 4th, 2018, 19:45
Originally Posted by Ivanwah View Post
Wherever in world you see some sort of censorship or blocking of social networks, you also see some sort of dictatorship.
Its an odd conundrum tho. Everyone demanded the removal of the facebook live murders, and even the three accident captures. That wasnt decried as censorship because it was for the apparent good of society. Yet the same critics flip whem violence or nudity is censored on the same channels as opression.
--
How about all games have a single huge lootbox you pay for up front that contains all the options, items, skins, unlocks etc? I'd pay for that!!
Wisdom is offline

Wisdom

Wisdom's Avatar
Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#18

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,858
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

Default 

July 4th, 2018, 20:26
The Internet has been in its "flower power" age for a very long time now and this will of course change, and it is changing.

Youtube and Facebook is not what it used to be, for example. The Swedish prime minister has talked to Google and forced (""advised"") them to create changes that hurts alternative media (stopped them from being able to gain any money from ads, so he made them lose all or most of their income). Alt media is of course not very government friendly here so it was a big win for the government here.

If you are in EU you probably already know we will have a new law where you will not be allowed to post links to e.g news sites or create memes using copyrighted images. Practically any news aggregator site will be banned unless its run by rich businessmen who can pay up..

They claim its for copyright reasons or because you have to pay(!) if you link to a news site (which makes money from getting more visitors!), so we already know its bullshit and lies. Censorship is the real reason (we have plenty of alternative media sites in Sweden which directly would be considered illegal or would have to pay hefty prices to main stream media sites).

Of course, people will move blogs, news aggregators out of EU, people will begin to use VPN's even more. This will do for now, but the EU will come up with something else soon enough. Criminalizing the use of VPN's or something similar.
--
Latest creations: Fallout NV: A Wasteland in Bloom / Fallout NV: WFO v3.5
vurt is offline

vurt

vurt's Avatar
serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

#19

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The land of rape and honey
Posts: 3,263
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)

Default 

July 4th, 2018, 20:58
Taxing links is not a done deal. EU parliament will vote on that tomorrow. The result of that vote won't mean the final author rights law, but it'll set a direction for it.

IMO the whole thing is dangerous and can have serious consequences in gaming industry where critics won't be allowed to demonstrate a game's behavior just like that nor we'll see an interview with developers quotes here without permission/licensing. Also, fair use is not even mentioned in it, goodbye humor, goodbye Honest Game Trailers.
I've added it in weekly bs thread cca 10 days ago.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#20

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,419
Mentioned: 223 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Tax on internet usage ????
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:52.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch