General News - Top upcoming RPGs of 2021 @ Heavy

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Heavy made a list of upcoming RPGs:

All Upcoming RPG's of 2021

Was 2020 a super depressing year as a whole? Yep!

But were the video games that dropped that year also pretty amazing and worth getting distracted by? Yep! Some of the most outstanding titles that came out in 2020 came from the role-playing game genre. The biggest and best RPGs from that year that instantly come to mind have to be Final Fantasy VII Remake, Persona 5 Royal, Genshin Impact, and Yakuza: Like a Dragon. Plus there was a nice array of entertaining triumphs within the genre that came from indie studios and everyone's favorite western RPG & JRPG development studios.

Now that 2021 is in full swing, it's time to take a look at the next batch of quality RPGs that will take us to new worlds and let us embark on fresh adventures.

• Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy - PS5, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PC (Steam)
  • Sword of the Necromancer - PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PC (Steam)
  • Outriders - PS5, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, Xbox One, PC (Steam)
  • Ys IX: Monstrum Nox - PS4, Nintendo Switch, PC (Steam)
  • Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Earthblood - PS5, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, Xbox One, PC (Epic Games Store)
  • Fallen Legion: Revenants - PS4, Nintendo Switch
  • Persona 5 Strikers - PS4, Nintendo Switch, PC (Steam)
  • Bravely Default II - Nintendo Switch
  • Monster Hunter Rise - Nintendo Switch
  • Poison Control - PS4, Nintendo Switch
  • Nier Replicant ver.1.22474487139... - PS4, Xbox One
  • Almighty: Kill Your Gods - PC (Steam)
  • Rune Factory 5 - Nintendo Switch
  • King's Bounty II - PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PC (Steam)
  • Disgaea 6: Defiance of Destiny - PS5, PS4, Nintendo Switch
  • Alaloth - Champions of The Four Kingdoms - PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PC (Steam)
  • The Ascent - Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, PC (Steam)
  • Cris Tales - PS5, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Google Stadia, PC (Steam)
  • Digimon Survive - PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PC (Steam)
  • Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance - Consoles TBA, PC TBA
  • Echo Generation - Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One
  • The Good Life - PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PC (Steam)
  • Gotham Knights - PS5, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, Xbox One
  • Hogwarts Legacy - PS5, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, Xbox One, PC (Steam)
  • Horizon Forbidden West - PS5, PS4
  • Hytale - PC
  • King Arthur: Knight's Tale - PC (Steam)
  • Kingdom of Night - PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PC (Steam)
  • King of Seas - PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PC (Steam)
  • NEO: The World Ends with You - PS4, Nintendo Switch
  • Neptunia ReVerse - PS5
  • New World - PC (Steam)
  • Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis - Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, PC (Steam)
  • Ruined King: A League of Legends Story - PS5, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PC (Steam)
  • SaGa Frontier Remastered - PS4, Nintendo Switch, PC (Steam), iOS, Android
  • Scarlet Nexus - PS5, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, Xbox One, PC (Steam)
  • She Dreams Elsewhere - Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PC (Steam)
  • Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster - PS4, Nintendo Switch
  • Shin Megami Tensei V - Nintendo Switch
  • Tales of Arise - PS4, Xbox One, PC (Steam)
  • Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 - PS5, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, Xbox One, PC (Steam)
  • Vampire: The Masquerade - Swansong - PS5, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PC (Steam)
[...]

More information.

Most of those are JRPGs and console games.

1. Alaloth - Champions of The Four Kingdoms
  2. Outriders
  3. King's Bounty II
  4. The Ascent
  5. Hogwarts Legacy
  6. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2
  7. Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Earthblood
The only games on that list I'm interested in.

Sidenote: Anyone know a site just dedicated to PC RPGs and PC only RPG lists?

I think you are in a tough spot, CouchPotato. Most of RPGs, actually most of games nowadays are being released for both PCs and consoles. Of course, there have been exceptions, but these are what they are - just exceptions to the general rule.

Last edited:
I think you are in a tough spot, CouchPotato. Most of RPGs, actually most of games nowadays are being released for both PCs and consoles. Of course, there have been exceptions, but this is what they are - just exceptions to the general rule.
That saddens me as the crowdfunded wave is over it seems. It brought a bunch of old school isometric RPGs to the PC for a few years. I had such high hopes as well.:(

Guess I'll rephrase that and ask for a site with only western RPGs not JRPGs. It must be games that release on the PC as well not just consoles. Probably not I guess?

After IMO a very good year for RPGs, and everyone says it was bad, to me 2021 looks horrible.

2020 had more good releases than I could play and 2021 will probably be the same. If not I have a huge back-catalog :)

After IMO a very good year for RPGs, and everyone says it was bad, to me 2021 looks horrible.
2020 was a bad year for RPGs. Most known developers didn't even release an RPG. Most of the crowdfunded games still aren't released and lets not get started on Early Access.

Not all of of us enjoy F2P games like Genshin Impact either. Anyway maybe a few RPGs released at the end of 2020 made it better for RPGs. For me at least it did.

How I envy you simpletons who claim 2020 was good year for RPGs.:roll:

Geneforge 1 - Mutagen is missing from that list.
While not AAA quality, it is Spiderweb Software's biggest budget game to date and it doesn't look half bad. I'm looking forward to it more than 90% of the games on that list, except for:
  • The Ascent - Isn't this more of a twin-stick shooter than an rpg?
  • Bloodlines 2 - I'll probably wait a decade for those unofficial patches.
  • Scarlet Nexus - Weird enough to be interesting. Did I see a toaster with legs?
  • Tales of Arise - This will be 17th in the series! I missed them all but Vesperia.
  • Nier Replicant remaster - but only at a steep discount.
  • Gotham Knights - which is no more of an RPG than Arkham Knight was.

2020 was a bad year for RPGs. Most known developers didn't even release an RPG. Most of the crowdfunded games still aren't released and lets not get started on Early Access.

Not all of of us enjoy F2P games like Genshin Impact either. Anyway maybe a few RPGs released at the end of 2020 made it better for RPGs. For me at least it did.

I can't play as many games as others. I just started The Witcher 3 - 6 years late ? It will probably take me 3-4 months to play, if I get to the end.

I also enjoy other game types so I don't only play RPGs. I played BattleTech and Hearts of iron 4 for 3/4 months last year :D

Not much there for me. Hopefuly Vampire both comes out and is somehow good after all the drama. Not holding my breath.

Other than that? Wouldn't call it an RPG, but Horizon is of interest to me. And that's about it. Maybe BG3 makes it out. Disco Elysium update. Maybe Sunless Skies will finally release their last update. Kinda grasping at straws here.

There are some Indie Rpgish games that may get full releases in 2021 that I remain interested in. I tried the Vagrus demo and that's very intriguing to me, a text adventure/carvan simulator set in an original (?) world. Gamedec and Encased are both games I'm still keeping my eye on. Is that Weird West project close?

Not exactly blown away by that list, and how is it that neither BG3 or Pathfinder are on there?

Of the games listed, Horizon Forbidden West would be my most anticipated. After that it would be VtM-B 2 and SaGa Frontier Remastered.

Which games did you enjoy most ?
The better question would be which one I enjoyed least - and that's AC Vikings.

But hear me out.
After TW3 all games looked like pieces of shit to me for months. Objectively good or great games.
It is possible that Cyberpunk, which I completed before starting AC Valhalla, has a similar efffect where great games won't feel that great for a while.

Be careful when you finish TW3. Afterwards, make sure you play some obvious crap for a couple of months so you don't subconsciously compare stuff where TW3 beats everything.
Of the games listed, Horizon Forbidden West would be my most anticipated.
Sadly it's a console exclusive.
The first game was super fun so I'm buying the sequel when ported on PC. If I don't die first as that won't be soon.

I played so few new games in 2020 that, between that year and the new, current one I should have plenty to fill my plate! All I need is just a few gems to get me through the year, hopefully a few of these will pass muster.

The list looked weak but I'm not so sure the year will be. BG3, Mount & Blade 2, Cyberpunk DLCs, Persona 5 for PC (only barely hinted at), Final Fantasy 7 Remake for PC, and the remaining Yakuza games for PC all jump to mind for me.

My personal 2020 was really good for RPGs. Basically, this was the year I dove into the Falcom back-catalog. Over the course of the year I played or replayed all nine of the Trails games (apart from Hajimari no Kiseki), plus Tokyo Xanadu eX+. Yes, they're niche, and you have to have a tolerance for JRPG tropes, but I really really enjoyed them.

Then Cyberpunk 2077 made me nostalgic for eurojank, and I got sucked into playing Risen 3. So there's that.

Geneforge 1 - Mutagen is missing from that list.
While not AAA quality, it is Spiderweb Software's biggest budget game to date and it doesn't look half bad. I'm looking forward to it more than 90% of the games on that list, except for:
  • The Ascent - Isn't this more of a twin-stick shooter than an rpg?
'

They call it an RPG and I think it is more like a sci-fi Diablo-like.

Funny how none of the RPG that I'm looking for in 2021 are actually on this list except perhaps King Bounty 2..

My list :

1- Encased
2- Atom RPG Trudograd (sp?)
3- BG3 (duh!)
4- Solasta
5- Scarlet Republics

They call it an RPG and I think it is more like a sci-fi Diablo-like.

Yes, I believe The Ascent is a "sci-fi Diablo-like" twin-stick shooter set in 2084. :)

maxresdefault.jpg

@vanedor; - I don't know how I forgot about Baldur's Gate III.
Atom RPG Trudograd is also a must buy.
Both should've been on the Top Upcoming RPGs list along with Robotron.

Back
Top Bottom