Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Porcozaur spotted that over 13 million copies of Cyberpunk 2077 have been sold:

Current report no. 67/2020

December 22, 2020

Subject: Disclosure of estimated sales of Cyberpunk 2077

Legal basis: Art. 17 item 1 of the Market Abuse Regulation - inside information

The Management Board of CD PROJEKT S.A. with a registered office in Warsaw (hereinafter referred to as "the Company") hereby announces that, based on reports obtained from digital distribution platforms and data collected from physical distributors, it estimates that by 20 December inclusive gamers have purchased over 13 million copies of Cyberpunk 2077. This figure represents the estimated volume of retail sales across all hardware platforms (factoring in returns submitted by retail clients in brick-and-mortar as well as digital storefronts), i.e. the "sell-through" figure, less all refund requests e-mailed directly to the Company by the publication date of this report in the framework of the "Help Me Refund" campaign.

The Management Board has decided to disclose the above information in the form of a current report due to its potential impact on investment-related decisions.
More information.

Can we also get the info on how many refunds were provided by vendors? 13 million is a lot as the game was heavily marketed and pre-orders are definitely part of that 13 million. I am just curious what the net amount of sales are after the refunds.

Lue.

Can we also get the info on how many refunds were provided by vendors? 13 million is a lot as the game was heavily marketed and pre-orders are definitely part of that 13 million. I am just curious what the net amount of sales are after the refunds.

Lue.

Apparently the 13 million sales accounts for refunds. This information was given to investors to reassure them.

Good for them! Let's hope they find a way to reconcile devs and management and expand on the solid base Cyberpunk (PC) already is.

13 million is a lot as the game was heavily marketed and pre-orders are definitely part of that 13 million.
Lue.

Are you certain of that? I read on some website yesterday, that "refunds and preorders" were both discounted from the 13 million figure already.

I've posted in another thread.
13 million sounds awsome compared to a million or half of it the best RPGs can expect.

But if the boring mediocrity GTA5 managed to swindle 250 million copies, I've expected at least 10% of that number here. Yes, GTA boomed thanks to microtransaction scams, but that's why I expect the percentage, not annually billions mmos like LoL, MapleStory or Wow make from casuals without taste.

Yep 13 million is more then 98% of all RPGs released wish they could sell. The average is like Joxer said above 500,000 to at best 2 million if their lucky to get that number at all.

Yeah well lower your expectations then.

I swear the whole industry and it's investors need a kick in the ass.

I find weird that CDPR never made a CP2077 DLC roadmap announcement, like they did it before TW3 releasing (as you can see, for an example, here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-06-cd-projekt-announces-generous-witcher-3-dlc-plan). We even knew, at that time, what would be the first TW3 DLC items to be made available.

Of course, you can say that "CDPR is now focused on polishing/bugfixing the game", "they're kinda fighting back a certain unwillingness on the part of the gaming press", 'they're now more worried about their stock values", etc etc). But the news I linked above is from 3 months before TW3 got released, and three months before now, when CP2077 wasn't released yet, they surely weren't facing all this mix of users complaining, falling stock values, court lawsuits, and the like. Yes, they've made an abstract announcement about DLC plans but nothing more concrete regarding the DLC contents or estimated dates of arrival. (or at least, no concrete announcement that I know of).

I'm concerned that all of this "negative conjunction of factors" might result in the cancellation of any piece of DLC that they had, at first, planned to release.

I'm concerned that all of this "negative conjunction of factors" might result in the cancellation of any piece of DLC that they had, at first, planned to release.
Me as well they did say the DLC was supposed to start early next year.
“We’ve mentioned before that expansions will be coming, and while we’re not ready to talk specifics just yet, we will say that we’ve learned a lot from our work on both Hearts of Stone & Blood and Wine. Our planned expansions will take you even deeper into the world of Cyberpunk 2077, offering substantial, story-driven content that’ll give you tough choices to make through impactful narratives that you won’t soon forget,” the hidden message said.

“But before we get there, we’ll first be kicking off our free DLC program in early 2021. Just like with The Witcher 3, expect an assortment of free DLC packs to begin hitting Night City, dropping a bunch of cool stuff that’ll inject even more life into the world of the dark future.”
Now though who knows as this was from the last meeting.
Speaking as part of an emergency board meeting, president Adam Kiciński admitted that it’s “too early to judge” what’s going to happen to its post-release plans. “We don't know yet,” he admitted, referring to the promised add-on packs and competitive multiplayer mode. “We are now focused on improving Cyberpunk and will discuss it early next year.”�

Now though who knows as this was from the last meeting.
Speaking as part of an emergency board meeting, president Adam Kicinski admitted that it's "too early to judge" what's going to happen to its post-release plans. "We don't know yet," he admitted, referring to the promised add-on packs and competitive multiplayer mode. "We are now focused on improving Cyberpunk and will discuss it early next year."

Well, if any DLC is to be axed, let it be this multiplayer DLC (as if the CP 2077 gaming community were begging for this so-called "competitive mode").

I highly doubt they axe the DLCs as that would only compound the negativity surrounding the project and hurt them even more. My guess is that they at least follow through with the single-player DLCs.

I guess they'll polish the first DLC like they've never polished a release before.

Hearing all the kerfuffle about this game only makes me appreciate more waiting some months after a game is out to make a purchase. Maybe this will be on my list come the next session of holidays.

Apparently, the expectations were around 16 million. So 13 million sold copies doesn't account as a success.

That's a weird way to measure success. That's like saying you expect to break the 100 meter dash Olympic record with a 9.59 and you get a 9.61 instead and that's "not a success."

13 million and two sold ... I liked the game so much I just brought it for two of my friends as a Christmas gift on Steam ... they are already downloading and installing it now.

13 million and two sold … I liked the game so much I just brought it for two of my friends as a Christmas gift on Steam … they are already downloading and installing it now.
Nice. Got it for my brother as a "physical" copy. He didn't get it yet.

Well hopefully they finish polishing the main game first. :)
Well yeah, I just took that for granted. But of course you'll never know. :roll:

I am playing Witcher 3 right now as I finally got a high spec pc that I can enjoy it the way it is supposed to. I will wait at least a year to play 2077 but I will buy it with 100% certainty - and I bet there is quite a few people like me. With GTA you know you getting something that is close to completion on day 1.

Back
Top Bottom