Might & Magic X - Server Shutdown Leaves DLC Inaccessible

This was on my "go back to list". I got as far as the end of Chap 1 before stopping, now I have to hack the game to continue :furious:
I'm pretty much in the same situation, except I bought the game TWICE (to get it on an alternate account).

I like this game and played it at least four times.

You say that about every game. ;)
Yes, I tend to replay games I like and may be four is the most frequent number if you look at all replays of all my games. It may also be the average value…

But is not correct for all games. For example I am quite sure that I have replayed the Risen games only twice each. Pillars of eternity II only once, Pillars of Eternity 1 probably only twice…Also Fallout 3 and 4 only twice each, though I am not really sure.

On the other hand there are older games, which I replay once a year, like M&M VI, Icewind Dale or Spellforce 1. These I have surely replayed much more than four times, Spellforce 1 at least 10+ times. From recent games I only played Grim Dawn more than four times, I believe.

But thinking about it, it is possible that I played M&M X more than four times.

I know that I played it twice, when it was new (once with a mixed party of two mages one melee and one ranged guy and once with a mage-only party), but without playing the expansion yet.

And about a year ago I played it once with a mixed party like above and with the expansion. The expansion was to hard for that build, since the enemies there are bullet sponges. So I won that by a kind of cheating (editing the game files to reduce the max HP of the most annoying enemies) and then replayed again everything with a mage only party, for which the add on was a cake walk, since I had enough crowd control spells then.

So I must be precise: there are four playthroughs I can distinctly remember. I cannot exclude that there were more. Steam shows only 337,5 Hours but that is probably misleading, since I probably started the game often directly from Uplay, not from steam. In addition I feel that steam has reset the counter a few years ago, since it shows nearly zero hours for several games, which I have played years ago and where I am sure that I have more than steam shows. (eg. for Alan Wake it shows only 27 hours, but I played that twice and so this seems to low).

Last remark: there are several games I played once and started for a second playthrough but gave up, since it felt like exactly the same again.

Another Last remark: For me M&M X was one of the last games, where it was really fun to play with very different party builds and where it was fun thinking about it.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of the grid based design…

Otherwise I would have loved this game I think.
I loved exactly that. It is like playing a very old adventure game:

To the right you see a dark cave, to the left a river. Before you a closed door, behind you it is too dark to see anything. Which way do you want to go?

Not really like that of course but it had a similar vibe: Every step counted.

Reviews on the Steam page say its a lot worse than the DLC. You can't actually play beyond the first act now. (Or maybe that's what "no DLC" means? I never bought the game.)

Given that it's still for sale, I'm guessing that something bad happened to the server and they plan to fix it sometime. I'm also guessing that they aren't making it a very big priority yet, especially given how there's not one mention of the problem from Ubisoft in the forums. Now the news media has reported it so they need to do a press release.

Basically, another unforced error for Ubisoft.

It really was good. I recall being a snob about it at launch, then a friend brought his laptop over to the house and showed me the game in person, asked if I wanted to borrow it while he was out of the country. I was totally hooked, recanted all my misgivings, and subsequently bought the game later. It really deserves a much better fate than this.

I didn't really need another reason, but this is a good reason why I still buy physical games whenever possible… and yes I understand I'm still not 100% protected from this kind of thing even with a physical game but at least I still hold a physical disc.
Doesn't even help for many/most higher-budget games these days. The game requires Steam (or some other online platform) and what's on the disc is just intended to save you a bit of download time, it's unusable on its own.

Going a step further, the physical versions of many AAA games don't even give you discs anymore. Just an activation code in an empty box.

Anyway, MMX was great. Any old-school MM fans who haven't played it yet should find a way to...

Last edited:
There were two "fixes" posted in this thread on Steam you can make to at least allow finishing the game. These "fixes" might only work on new games, I'm not sure.

To allow travel to the Elemental Forge and continue on to Act II:

in \Might and Magic X Legacy\Might and Magic X\ Legacy_Data\StreamingAssets\Dialog\LevDialog.xml

Delete all four instances of:

<condition xsi:type="PrivilegeUnlockedCondition" privilegeID="1001" failState="DISABLED" />

In addition to the above, to make the bridge passable from the start of a new game, go into StreamingAssets/Maps/theworld.xml and look for:

<Slot Height="6.13505" Terrain="BLOCKED" TerrainSound="NONE" MapArea="ASHEN_HILLS">
<Position>
<X>106</X>
<Y>67</Y>
</Position>

Change "BLOCKED" to "PASSABLE" and you'll be able to walk through the wagon, with the added advantage of being able to get Expert in skills like Shield or Spear without having to go through all of Act One.

Hopefully they will fix this properly. It's nuts that they are breaking a game that people have paid for!! DLC included, people paid for it!!

There were two "fixes" posted in this thread on Steam you can make to at least allow finishing the game. These "fixes" might only work on new games, I'm not sure.

To allow travel to the Elemental Forge and continue on to Act II:

in \Might and Magic X Legacy\Might and Magic X\ Legacy_Data\StreamingAssets\Dialog\LevDialog.xml

Delete all four instances of:

<condition xsi:type="PrivilegeUnlockedCondition" privilegeID="1001" failState="DISABLED" />

In addition to the above, to make the bridge passable from the start of a new game, go into StreamingAssets/Maps/theworld.xml and look for:

<Slot Height="6.13505" Terrain="BLOCKED" TerrainSound="NONE" MapArea="ASHEN_HILLS">
<Position>
<X>106</X>
<Y>67</Y>
</Position>

Change "BLOCKED" to "PASSABLE" and you'll be able to walk through the wagon, with the added advantage of being able to get Expert in skills like Shield or Spear without having to go through all of Act One.

Hopefully they will fix this properly. It's nuts that they are breaking a game that people have paid for!! DLC included, people paid for it!!

They said this workaround still doesn't make the DLC accessible, but it is already a start.

Shame about this, I'm hoping it's an oversight and it will be rectified. I do want to replay this game sometime in the future as well.

I guess I'm lucky that I finally got around to playing this game within the last 6 months. I just made it in under the wire.

I played and finished both the main game and DLC back in the day. It was a nice addition to M&M saga. Too bad Ubi pulled the plug. If only someone make remakes for M&M 3-4-5 with that engine.

I played and finished both the main game and DLC back in the day. It was a nice addition to M&M saga. Too bad Ubi pulled the plug. If only someone make remakes for M&M 3-4-5 with that engine.
Not an original engine it's Unity. That explains the overheating problem as that was a major bug with the earlier versions of the engine. Still yeah I agree with you.:nod:

If only someone make remakes for M&M 3-4-5 with that engine.

With that engine? For such a simple game in recent times, MMX had way too many slowdowns and freezes. I’m not bothered by Unity in general, but it didn’t seem to work especially well here.

As long as we’re dreaming, we might as well dream better!

With that engine? For such a simple game in recent times, MMX had way too many slowdowns and freezes. I'm not bothered by Unity in general, but it didn't seem to work especially well here.

As long as we're dreaming, we might as well dream better!
Don't blame just the engine it comes down to bad coders on both sides. Sure the Unity engine has it's drawbacks but those slowdowns and freezes are the developers fault.

Silver, you totally nailed the exact problem, without wasting words. Perhaps great old games will come to the rescue, yet the decision likely isn't theirs to make. I know this much at least: this makes clear the risks of using these lesser known platforms. When the going gets difficult, they'll simply pull the plug. Literally!

https://forums.ubisoft.com/showthread.php/1241617-Online-Services-Update-Masterlist

Unfortunately it seems official, which makes it even more interesting that it's still up for sale on Steam.
Steam and Ubisoft's own website.

That list also has Assassin's Creed 2 on it. I checked and it's had a few positive reviews this month. I only got to look in the discussion boards for a couple of minutes before Steam's connection died on me, but it wasn't boiling over.

That makes me think that Ubi didn't expect the game to break, which makes me think Ubi isn't doing documentation that they clearly need to be doing, which makes me think Ubi still sucks.

Back
Top Bottom