What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread - Page 311 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Default What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

October 20th, 2021, 17:56
I'm a huge fan of the eighties version of Dune, I've likely viewed the thing at least twenty times, and yes, some of that might be due to being both a huge fan of the books as well as a Lynch junkie. I didn't really care for the Siffy series at all, so I look forward to checking out this version at some time.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

October 20th, 2021, 20:50
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
Also enjoyed Dune. I haven't seen the 80s version in quite some time, so my collection may be off, but I preferred how this latest rendition spends more time fleshing out the the characters and reasons behind the plot(ting). My only critique, albeit relatively minor, would be that there could have been a couple less Zendaya flashbacks; they started to feel repetitive. Otherwise, it was a good film and I'm looking forward to the rest of the story.
It's easier to flesh things out when you have that much more time. The new film only covers the first half of the book and it's still longer than the David Lynch version.

I rewatched Lynch's film a few weeks ago, and it definitely hasn't aged well in some aspects. I still like it a lot, especially the soundtrack, but some scenes are just downright ugly now.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)

October 20th, 2021, 22:57
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Also watched a movie this week that stars Jason Momoa called Sweet Girl.
Oh god… Haven't I warned you?
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
A word of warning on Sweet Girl.
I was hoping for a juicy revenge thriller against corruption and got hollywood's usual mediocrity.
Characters are dull, the story is pathetic and dialogues tend to be classically dumb (example, when you start the car do you say to whomever is with you "hold on"?).
There are also badly made scenes. An example, a train full of people, a fight starts, suddenly the train is completely empty. What, Scotty beamed them all up?
Please people, just skippit.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)

October 21st, 2021, 19:20
Yeah, seems I couldn't help myself and purchased a ticket to also see Dune on the big screen. I'll try to take some disinfectant wipes to wipe down the 3D glasses. I fucking hate that there's no 2D option of seeing it. Anyway, I am excited for the weekend now.

EDIT: Hilariously, I didn't buy the right ticket which comes with the 3D glasses included (yeah, where I live they double dip and also tax you for the glasses, I guess in case you come with your own?). So, not wanting to complicate things, I just bought another ticket right behind me, and since the cinema won't allow you to buy seats directly next to another already occupied seat, I basically guaranteed myself a row of empty seats in almost all directions. Hilarious.
Last edited by danutz_plusplus; October 21st, 2021 at 19:59.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
+1:

October 22nd, 2021, 05:34
loading…

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

October 22nd, 2021, 06:40
Yeah, the uncharted movie really looks like a dumpster fire. I mean, what the hell, Marky Mark as Sullivan, the charismatic old man from games? This movie really has no purpose. It's basically a more cartoony version of Indiana Jones. But why do we need it? In terms of the games, they wanted their own Indiana Jones or Tomb Raider, but to have the freedom to expand in terms of gamelay. And there always the opportunity for a spectacle, while playing. But as a movie, what will this provide? Just a low-budget Indiana Jones. This really felt like a big budget advertising for the Uncharted Collection remastered for PS5/PC.
Last edited by danutz_plusplus; October 22nd, 2021 at 08:35.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

October 22nd, 2021, 08:12
I agree for the most part. I actually think Mark Wahlberg is a pretty decent actor, but he's miscast here and so is Tom Holland.

This looks like one of those movies that no one will remember in a few years.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

October 22nd, 2021, 08:38
It's like they really don't want to crush the idea that all video game to movie adaptations are bad.

I'm really curious if the Last of Us tv series will manage to be great, and break the curse.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

October 26th, 2021, 22:04
Ahhh that's nice for them, big congrats getting a pick-up this early. I've yet to see the flick, I'm keeping my expectations very much in check, as I'm a huge fan of the novels and Lynch's version.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

October 26th, 2021, 22:06
Watched Dune today at the cinema.

I thought it was a pretty good movie and I'm looking forward to next.

I haven't read the books or watched the previous movies, so I'm not biased by that fact and went "virgin" into it, so there's that.
Last edited by Nereida; October 26th, 2021 at 22:27.

Nereida

Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

October 26th, 2021, 22:18
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
Just a low-budget Indiana Jones.
More like a big budget Young Indiana Jones.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

October 26th, 2021, 22:31
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo…te-1235036655/

Awesome to finally have it confirmed. Oct 2023.
I think it was pretty much a sure thing, but it's nice to have confirmation.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

October 26th, 2021, 22:59
Keeping an eye here for thoughts on Dune, so thanks to all for avoiding spoilers, but I'm worried at the low effort reviews. I'll probably do quite a few paragraphs and a few pics when I write mine, but y'all making me feel like a windbag for doing so

lackblogger

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)

October 26th, 2021, 23:08
Well, it's kind of hard to write much about a movie and keep it spoiler-free at the same time. Although I'm not sure how much could be spoiled about Dune at this point.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

October 27th, 2021, 06:10
Resident Evil reboot

loading…

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

October 27th, 2021, 09:07
Some franchises just need to die and never be rebooted again.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
+1:

October 27th, 2021, 12:46
What could they ever do that has not already been done before in this franchise.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)

October 27th, 2021, 21:36
As I understand it, this reboot is supposed to be more faithful to the storyline and lore of the games. The Milla Jovovich films were only loosely based on the series.

No idea if that's going to end up being a good thing. Imo, at least 90% of game to film adaptations range from mediocre to terrible. I thought the original RE movie was ok, but the sequels were little more than B-movie schlock.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

October 27th, 2021, 21:46
Watched 2001: A Space Odyssey, for the first time. I thought I had watched it before but I think it was only 10 minutes of the intro when I was 10 and a few minutes around "I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that" a couple of years later, as well as lots and lots of pop culture references.

So… well, I'm glad I finally watched it. Aside from that I don't have much to say. Will probably read the book next.
--
"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
Administrator
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread