Kingmaker Purpleblob's Kingmaker/WotR portrait thread

Pathfinder: Kingmaker
P

purpleblob

I thought it would be nice to have a place where we can share custom portraits for Kingmaker/WotR :D

Here are 5 of mine that I really love!

My cleric/war priest/angel mythic:
EY7TEdH.jpg

My empyreal sorceress/oracle/mystic theurge/azatas mythic:
0q8ZhML.jpg

My arcane trickster/trickster mythic:
hLmhQvC.jpg

My bloodrager/gold dragon mythic:
UejcR9w.jpg

Another arcane trickster/trickster mythic:
cqlBy7I.jpg

Feel free to share your custom portraits here too :D

Edit: Feel free to PM me if you want any of above ones :)

Two paladins, recognizable by the wingy thing ;) I haven't decided yet what the first would be, but the second is definitely hospitaler.
paladin01.jpg

paladin02.jpg

And this one is a ranger. By stretching it a bit, she could be a camouflaged divine hunter :D (I've actually started a divine hunter but half-elf male, with a default portrait).
ranger01.jpg

And here's a cleric, should I have any time left to try this class one day ;)
cleric01.jpg

The rogue / eldritch scoundrel who I enjoyed very much in Kingmaker used a default portrait. Maybe it's not too late to find a custom one; if I do, I'll post it :)

Don't hesitate to ask, if you'd like the original image or the resized ones.
(and if you're the author and I stole it from you, just let me know :uhoh:)

I love this feature in games. I make all my own portraits myself using Skyrim, Mods, and ENB. After I take the shots I crop them to fit the size needed but otherwise I do no post-editing on them - all done completely in-game in Skyrim with ENB.

My favorite - this is Wulver, a Chaos Tiefling. He is a level 4 Knife Master and level 16 Sacred Huntsman with a wolf companion:

Another version of him:

This Thrynn, who I hire as a mercenary in the game. He is a Barbarian Thug (mix of barbarian and rogue thug class).

This is Lobo, a dual wielding ranger. Have two versions of him I use.

Then I have an Aasimar Hunter:

This guy is an Aasimar for race but a Sorcerer with a demonic heritage. He has a few fighter levels in addition to sorcery. His mix of both angelic and demonic bloodlines makes for an interesting role playing experience.

And here's a cleric, should I have any time left to try this class one day ;)

I like your cleric's portrait :D My first run is always cleric or something similar (War priest will be my first character for WotR!!) You should try cleric, its a fun class ;)

The rogue / eldritch scoundrel who I enjoyed very much in Kingmaker used a default portrait. Maybe it's not too late to find a custom one; if I do, I'll post it :)

Can you change portrait mid game?? It wasn't possible when I was playing it, pre-enhanced plus edition :(

I love this feature in games. I make all my own portraits myself using Skyrim, Mods, and ENB. After I take the shots I crop them to fit the size needed but otherwise I do no post-editing on them - all done completely in-game in Skyrim with ENB.

I also enjoy using custom portraits :D But I wish I can make them myself because searching for a right one can be a looooong process (which is what I'm doing now before WotR is released!)

This guy is an Aasimar for race but a Sorcerer with a demonic heritage. He has a few fighter levels in addition to sorcery. His mix of both angelic and demonic bloodlines makes for an interesting role playing experience.

That is an interesting character indeed :D

I like your cleric's portrait :D My first run is always cleric or something similar (War priest will be my first character for WotR!!) You should try cleric, its a fun class ;)
Thanks for the advice, I'm actually tempted to :) WotR was a good opportunity to try a paladin, but it requires some patience. And with the current companions I feel it redundant (maybe because I'm not far enough).
Can you change portrait mid game?? It wasn't possible when I was playing it, pre-enhanced plus edition :(
No, but I've just tried this mod:

https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/35

I've played a little bit and saved/reloaded games in Kingmaker, everything seems fine. I suppose it should work with Wrath of the Righteous [EDIT see below, it doesn't seem to work right now], but save a game before trying just in case! The change is only in the current game, and when you save it, past saves are not changed (remember when Valerie's portrait changed? It's really the same for the player's).

Since it's not intuitive, here's how to use the mod. The custom portraits are stored here (the folder given by Pathfinder when creating a custom portrait)
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Owlcat Games\Pathfinder Kingmaker\Portraits\0001, 0002, …
(or AppData\LocalLow\Owlcat Games\Pathfinder Wrath Of The Righteous\Portraits\0001)

In the mod, click on "Select Doll", which shows the "Portrait:" option, and click "Use Custom". Then "Prev"/"Next" cycle through those folders. The result is directly visible on the bar below, you may have to switch between companions to see the change in the other character sheets.
portrait1.jpg

See the change in saved games :)
portrait2.jpg

Maybe there are other ways to do that, I've read people trying to modify the saved files directly but they were struggling with it.

Last edited:
Nice, thanks for that @Redglyph;.

I'm hoping Owlcat will let us change portrait easy mid-game in WotR - I've requested for it along with few others as well :)

Nice, thanks for that @Redglyph;.

I'm hoping Owlcat will let us change portrait easy mid-game in WotR - I've requested for it along with few others as well :)
It would be easier, wouldn't it? :)

I've quickly tried with Wrath of the Righteous, and it's not happy, wouldn't even show the main menu :(

With Kingmaker, I first downloaded Unity Mod Manager, gave the game installation folder, clicked Install. Then I've added the mods, and all was well.

But with WotR, even installing the Unity Mod Manager prevents it from starting. Other people seem to have a similar problem, even in Kingmaker, with the last version of the mod manager.
Uninstalling the mod manager solves the issue, so I don't think there's any risk trying it. Perhaps it'll be solved later.

EDIT

This program also allows to change the portrait, it doesn't need to be installed in the game and only edits saved files. I haven't tried it, only checked it could see the correct info in the saved file.
But again, it only works with Kingmaker. We'll have to be patient for Wrath of the Righteous... the only way is to start a game with a custom portrait, after which you can replace the images in the portrait folders at any time.

Last edited:
This is Riann, my protagonist evocation wizard from the original campaign, which I still haven't completed. I created her after I decided on which companions I wanted to take with me (Valerie, Amiri, Ekundayo, Linzi and her love interest Tristian).

20201221203436-1.jpg

At some point I created a 3-character party based on LMK for the endless dungeon:

Kyle, my Knight. Sword and Board fighter with shield bash. Fairly offensive build, all considered.
20201221203424-1.jpg

Lauriel, my bow-wielding rogue.
20201221203428-1.jpg

Mistral, my mage. Since he was my only caster I made him a Mystic Theurge with a focus on wizard.
20201221203431-1.jpg

Ever since Baldur's Gate I loved being able to have custom portraits in my RPGs.

Fantastic portraits, Arhu! :) Yeah, I also love using custom portraits.

Only 3 characters for endless dungeon - would have been quite tough! Will you be finishing Riann's run sometime? ;)

Thanks!

The portraits were from a trading card game called Legend of the Cryptids. Lots of fantastic character artwork to be found there.

Riann's run - possibly. I was lacking both time and motivation so far. Getting back into such a complex game after a long hiatus isn't easy either. For the dungeon I basically had to re-learn all the talents and skills. We'll see.

What I really want is to be able to customize names, portraits and classes for my companions. I could do that in BG:EE via mods, which was such a huge boon for immersion. In the Kingmaker campaign I find that I'm just not all that invested in the predefined characters.

What I really want is to be able to customize names, portraits and classes for my companions. I could do that in BG:EE via mods, which was such a huge boon for immersion. In the Kingmaker campaign I find that I'm just not all that invested in the predefined characters.
That's strange you feel that way, they have a personal history and quests that should help you invest in them.

It's possible to go beyond the custom class progression that we have by default, for example with the Visual Adjustments mod mentioned above. I tested it with the player's character but not the companions, to be honest.

The screenshot only shows the possible modifications on the user's character, they are the same for the companions except the body type and appearance (and, I think, the race and class).

The other tool I mentioned works for companions too, you can even change their names, if you follow the link, the screenshots for the "Attributes" tab will give you a good idea.

But companion quests are made for the default ones, so it may be weird if Jubilost becomes a barbarian, for example :D - there was a long thread on the subject recently in Owlcat's forums, actually. Also, I'm not sure the names will be substituted correctly everywhere if you modify them, but there's no risk in trying, just make a backup copy of the saved game before editing it :)

That's strange you feel that way, they have a personal history and quests that should help you invest in them.
Sure, but.. I just want the best of both worlds. Almost a full custom party but with companion quests, voiceovers, romance and stuff. Upon recruiting they are level 1 and I can choose between maybe three different classes, multiclasses or class kits for them that are still appropriate for their characterization. Add custom portraits and names et voila. My own party with only the protagonist being the quiet one.

Before I could actually do those things in Baldur's Gate I was forever stuck with playing a full custom party where nobody could speak and a normal campaign where I didn't care about my companions all that much.

Thanks for the pointers though!

Before I could actually do those things in Baldur's Gate I was forever stuck with playing a full custom party where nobody could speak and a normal campaign where I didn't care about my companions all that much.
Poor Imoen, if she heard that... ;)

Indeed, a fully customized party would be great. Let us know if you find a solution! :)

Poor Imoen, if she heard that… ;)
Haha. It's been too long. Had to look. I called her Juniper Corndancer and apparently made her a Halfling Swashbuckler:

nimoenl.png

Not really sure. I usually make a core party with 3-4 members and the other two never felt part of the team, so to speak, including her. In BG2 I abandoned a full party in favor of a fun couple: Aeryn and Aerie.

aeryn.jpg
aerie.jpg

Aeryn was a dual wielding fighter/thief and Aerie was, well, just Aerie with a different portrait. I'd love to be able to play these two in Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Unfortunately a fighter/rogue build doesn't seem to be very viable in this game, or at least not as I imagined him as a frontline fighter with twin swords and rogue skills. A Slayer perhaps? Pondering…

Just talking about Kingmaker makes me want to get back in and fiddle around though.

Last edited:
That's quite a change!
Aeryn was a dual wielding fighter/thief and Aerie was, well, just Aerie with a different portrait. I'd love to be able to play these two in Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Unfortunately a fighter/rogue build doesn't seem to be very viable in this game, or at least not as I imagined him as a frontline fighter with twin swords and rogue skills. A Slayer perhaps? Pondering…
I'm playing a rogue / eldritch scoundrel and he can do some damage, though it will never be the same level as a pure fighter.

With the weapon finesse feat, he could already rely on dexterity instead of strength for the attack rolls of light weapons (same with finesse training for the damage roll). But then he acquired finesse training for dueling swords (which is finesse but not light), two-weapon fighting feat (reduce the penalty by 2/6 for the primary/secondary hand), and improved two-weapon fighting feat (2nd attack with secondary but -5 penalty).

All that with a pair of nice radiant dueling swords +2 (1d8 slash, 1d6 positive, +2 on attack/dmg), thanks to the skeleton merchant :)

And that's without mentioning sneak attacks, a few abilities to enhance it, and spells to keep the target more cooperative should the first round not be enough to despatch it.

So that's not too bad, but it probably doesn't hold as well as a big guy in long, enduring fights with many enemies.

portrait3.jpg

PS: Such a small party in BG, that can't be easy! I'm only playing it for the first time now, but I'm glad to have a full party ;)

PS: Such a small party in BG, that can't be easy! I'm only playing it for the first time now, but I'm glad to have a full party ;)
It works because smaller parties level faster, they are relatively stat optimized and later on there's epic levels. Plus they don't need to share and get to wear the best gear at all times. Also, I'm fine with reducing the difficulty level if it gets too hard, as long as I get to experience each character as I like to. With smaller parties I tend to care about each individual a lot more.

Here's Aileya, my priestess (Ecclesitheurge), for when I'm playing with at least 4 characters.

20201224172905-1.jpg

Still looking for a proper Dwarf Barbarian or Berserker with a two-handed axe and a female halfling bard or similar. Well, a bit like Linzi, probably, although I haven't thought about her character too much yet.

I have spent the last week creating some custom portraits to use in the game using Skyrim as my tool of choice (since I am a horrible artist by even the most lenient of definitions).

I usually take 50 or so images in different outfits, poses, lighting, etc., so that I have plenty of options when I create the portrait and then check it in the game to make sure it "fits in" to the style I am looking for.

Most of the ones below are of Garoulf simply because he is new. I just finished his images so haven't yet made his game portraits. Still working on that. But added some WOTR game images for Wulver and Lobo.

Some proper Music :)

Garoulf Le Loup (WIP)

Not sure on him yet. Leaning towards Aasimar Sorcerer with Angelic Bloodline or maybe a Bloodrager. Could also end up a Ranger.

51169670954_2365e7e105_k.jpg

51169670924_2af4012c67_k.jpg

51168888311_db0ee1302d_k.jpg

51169982250_7faf044bb2_k.jpg

51169671029_3641588584_k.jpg

51168888736_10fed6c986_k.jpg

Lobo Wolfblood - Warpriest Feral Champion - Human

Lobo follows Fenrir (as all my characters do - I picked an equivalent in WOTR) and the Feral Champion is a sub-class of the Warpriest class in the game. They are more attuned to the natural world and fight with natural claws that their hands can turn into. The only claws I found for Skyrim were made from metal. They look cool but they didn't fit what I wanted after making a few portraits in the game so ditched them. The shots looked cool though so included some. I ended up using the one of him in Tsun's armor. It seemed to fit the idea of a war priest.

I also debated a dexterity based Warpriest with the claws, using weapon focus, weapon finesse, and Fencing Grace feats. While it did work I ended up going back to a strength build as Wulver is already a dexterity based character and I wanted something different.

51167358685_f95ed53981_k.jpg

51165442292_907b682029_k.jpg

51166343953_22458d651b_k.jpg

51166343893_25d3135fd0_k.jpg

51166108006_9038e5fc7b_k.jpg

51165443202_446c9a0691_k.jpg

51167207960_db600f22cd_k.jpg

This shows an example of dialogue:

51168262727_be83cc9147_k.jpg

Wulver Blackfur - Sacred Huntsman Knife Rogue - [Chaos] Tiefling

51169167828_1f4eaf01e5_k.jpg

This is how it looks in-game: